Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it possible to have locking trem that doesn't destroy tone?

jraffertyuswest.net

I have been regrettably coming to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to have a locking trem on any guitar I own because I just can't seem to find a locking trem guitar that has good open resonant tone.

The thing is I REALLY have come to love the playability/perfect tuning of a Floyd Rose locking nut from my years of playing heavy music. I particularly like the way a Floyd Rose feels, compared to say a standard Strat tremelo, plus I like to bend the notes/chords slightly below and ABOVE where the guitar is tuned.

Is it possible to have a locking trem that doesn't result in a thin lifeless string resonance? I use elevens to capture as much tone as possible. Also has anyone tried that new "stetsbar" thing? (stetsbar.com)it is

machined by a guy in New York and can be made to go on any standard Les Paul or 335 shape. It looks like it might work good because it allows the string some distance after going over the saddle before clamping down.

-Josh.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh,

Have you tried the Fender American Deluxe Fat strat? This has locking tuners instead of a locking nut, and I have had nothing but compliments on my guitar tone. I even modded another strat to add the LSR nut and locking tuners. This has worked out great, and makes my setup very stable, with excellent tone.

Check it out and see what you think...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Years ago I stupidly put a Floyd Rose on my 73 hardtail Strat. I have learned to live with my mistake.

The main modification to fix this was to put a block in the space where the tremolo moves up. This means you can only go down but it will help your guitar resonate more.

I also get better tone with John Suhr's V60's pick ups. They aren't fatter or more powerful; they just sound real good.

The Rose is really neutral now.

Archived