Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need Opinions...Princeton VS POD

I do recording at home to hard disk. I'm going to buy either an amp like a small 60s Princeton, or a POD, the rack mount version.

I do a lot of commercial work, sometimes I need clean sounds, sometimes overdriven sounds. I'm just wondering whether I'll do better with a real amp like a small Fender or Vox stuck and miked in my closet, or a POD. I've had old Fenders and love 'em, especially for rhythm, but I've only played with the POD a bit. I know it's good for overdriven sounds, but I don't know how it does for clean. I'm sure it has enough of a digital vibe to it that the real deal would sound better, but then what do I do for a great overdriven sound...get one of the 10000 pedals out there? Need some input....oh yeah...I'll be using a PRS and a Strat with this...mainly the Strat.

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a POD 2.0 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I record on a Roland VS-880ex, and I find the POD's clean sounds to be nice for recording purposes. I don't think the "live" sound of the POD is quite as "complex" or "warm" as the real amp... (the HR Deluxe has an awesome clean "tube" sound)... but for recording, I find I like the POD better.

For one thing, I can play at any gain level without worrying about the "live" volume being too loud. Also, if I'm heading over to a friend's studio, I can carry my POD, a floorboard, and a guitar, and I'm done.

I also get the same recorded sound in any room, and, if I've saved the patch, I can recall any sound at a moment's notice. This is a great advantage if you plan to overdub or double tracks later.

I also like the recorded sound of the POD. I guess this could be my own limited ability to make a good recording with my limited experience and mic, (SM-57), but I've tried spitting the signal, recording the POD and mic'd amp on two separate tracks, then A/B'd the results. I typically found the POD to be better articulated, and "cleaner" than the sound I was getting from my mic'd amp.

Also, the POD has a number of "clean" models that give you a diverse set of "clean" sounds. For example, the '65 Deluxe is very "blues" sounding, the Matchless model has some "crispier" sounding clean sounds, the Roland Jazz model is "pristine" clean, and I've even had some good results with the hybrid "POD clean" model. My point is, that there's a lot of choices with the POD, and to get the most of it, you should plan on using the MIDI capability to access the "inner" controls of the POD.

I also like to "warm" the recorded sound of the POD with a tube pre-amp. I use the ART Tube MP, and find it adds a little sparkle to the sound.

Plus, there's hundreds of patches developed by pro and amateur users available on the Line6 website and elsewhere on the net.

Is the POD perfect, no. Is it a "true" model of the classic amps? Who knows? Are there lots of good sounds inside? Absolutely! At least to my ears.

Anyway, you should let your ears decide. Most of the "superstores" have a 30 day Guarantee. Why don't you pick up your options, make some recordings like I did, and see what sounds best for you!

Good Luck

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Guitplayer...all of your points are what I had a sneaking feeling was true...I know the POD will allow me to get up and running quickly (jingles and film work have insane deadlines) and yes, I'd forgotten about the fact that I might want to do an overdub at midnight..with kids sleeping in the next room http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I knew the POD did great overdrive...I just wasn't sure about the clean sounds. I'll go check it out at Sam Ash. I'm getting a price 450.00 from one dealer, I suppose that's pretty good..or it could mean something new is coming http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks for all your input. I'll always want an amp around, but money is tight and I have to pick one for now...

------------------

"Ears...now they're real important too."--James Caan..."Rollerball."

I use the POD for recording about 90% of the time. You can get real clean sounds with it. You can run it into a tube power amp (I use the effects return of a Marshall combo to play live and you can get cleans sound live too. The key to using a POD is to put it manual mode and treat it like a regular amp. A lot of the presets aren't that good, though some of them make good starting points.

Buddy

I've learned a few lessons about getting clean sounds I like with the POD. You should be able to try these out when you demo one...

First, most of the presets have a slight echo setting included in the preset patch. It's a good idea to turn this off. If you're doing the demo in the store, get a floorboard and hook it up, and you can see if there's an echo on, and turn it off with ease.

Second, each of the presets, and even the "manual" switching of amp models selects a "cabinet" model. Usually, the default one sounds pretty good, but there's a lot of variance between the cab models, and I suggest trying some different ones with each amp model to see what sounds good to you. For example, I like the sound of the Line6 4x10's cab model with the '65 Deluxe. Just like you would expect, it's a little "tighter" sounding than the 1x12 deluxe cab model selected by default. I also find the Matchless 2x12, Vintage Marshall 30 4x12's and Line6 1x12 worth trying for different sounds. Also, just like with real amps, sometimes a "loud" amp sounds good clean. Try a low gain setting on the Marshall models with the 4x10 cab and instant clean Marshall sound... Same with the Dumble, TwinMaster, Mesa IIc, and other amps you would normally not associate with "clean" sounds.

Third, if you're doing the demo in a store, they've probably set it up running into a poweramp and then into a guitar speaker cab. Although there are cool sounds to be found here, you're not going to get the same sounds you're going to hear in your sessions on tape. If you can't record and listen back in the store, get them to set up a keyboard amp with a tweeter. Be sure to use the "Line" not "Amp" mode of the POD, and you'll hear a pretty hi-fi version of what the POD can do.

If you're seeking more info, check out Line6's own site, in their LUP section, the Patch Exchange is really a board with a lot of knowledgeable users, generally willing to share their .02...

Good Luck

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived