Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital reverb with THAT vintage tone

Ola Lagarhus

Vintage tube based studio equipment like mixers, compressors, equalisers had trans-formers at the input and at the output, and such gear still has - for the rich ones who can afford to buy. Tube based equipment color the sound in a nice way - the guitar playing people here know what I`m talking about. But transformers color the sound even more - more IRON, less NICKLE.in the transformer core, for `vintage warmth`. Studios in the 50`s and 60`s had valve based equipment with lots of transformers.

Modern digital based multi-effects/reverb units are popuar in home studios, and guitar players like us absolutely need them for THAT sound. But these modern wonders can sound a bit harsh and lack the warmth and the slight roundness of an analog echo unit from the 60`s. The sonics will also depend on the rest of the chain like pickups and amps. Fender amps, for example, can be a bit trebly.

The output of my multeffects unit is 500 Ohms and the standard for most 1:1 line-level output transformers is near that: 600 Ohms both in and out. I was fortunate and got hold of some old Jensen iron core line-level transformer, but need only one in the guitar signal chain between the effects unit and my valve guitar amplifier. I had to do a bit of experimenting with the wiring and use my ears, because you have several options with these devices. The result is absolute fantastic with a lush and warm sound just like a 60`s unit, but with none of the disadvantages. I will use my other transformers in a studio situation and warm up the reverb return to the mixer on vocals etc. two for stereo return.

Ola

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure what you're mumbling about...but...one of the things that the modern 'verb in the box' manufacturers seem to have forgotten is that real reverb doesn't go from 20-20k, nor does it have quite as wide a dynamic range or S/N.

If you've ever sat in a 'stairwell' and played guitar, or sang, you'll hear the difference in density as well as diffusion which the 'verb in the box' unit's seem to have missed.

Yes, a little iron in front of a box is often a good thing...but it depends on the iron. The phase shift caused by the iron is more important to the tone than anything else, which means, there are about are several hundred different sounding 1:1 transformers you might try.

Iron is good...but it's always a total of the sum of the parts, and an understanding of the larger concepts that assist in creating something.

-----

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio http://www.mercenary.com

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:

Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

Archived