Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KORG SV2??

Another nice improvement over the SV1, based on the manual... seamless sound transition, albeit only among sounds that don't have an amp sim engaged.

I spoke to the development team: every sound from the SV-1 is present in the 2 for compatibility. So everything New is 'plus' from the base of the original product.

That is awesome news. :thu:

While I do not plan to upgrade my SV-1, it's great to know that if I ever had to replace it, I can pick right up wherever I left off. :D:cool:

It's a little confusing. There is a download pack that gives you the full set of original SV1 sounds... though as far as I can see, you cannot bring in sounds from the optional downloadable SV1 soundpaks (though maybe some/all are already in the unit?), and you can't bring in your own custom SV1 sounds, those you'd have to recreate on the SV2, and if the sounds they are based on were optional soundpak sounds that don't exist in the SV2 (if there are any such sounds), I don't know how you could possibly recreate those, since every edited sound has to be based on a previously available sound. (On the SV1, there were some waves that were not used in the stock sound set, but only Korg had access to them, and the user couldn't access them until Korg made those sounds available via those optional download packs... I don't know whether or not ALL the SV1 basic sounds--including those on the optional downloads--are already available somewhere in the SV2 or not.)

Would you guys, pricing being almost the same, by the sv2 in a month, or the grandstage now...Also why? Do the EPs sound the same on both? Do they sound the same on the SV1?

The SV2 EPs are supposed to be improved compared to the SV1 (i.e. I saw one interview with a Korg rep who said that some of the same instruments used larger sample sets than they did on the SV1 for more velocity layers). But as I alluded to above, if you want the exact original SV1 EPs, the stock ones at least are available in a download from Korg. The download doesn't include new samples, it's just a set of parameters, the samples are already in the keyboard.

Grandstage EPs sound different. They are from the Kronos' EP1 engine which is a hybrid of sampled and modeled tone generation. The SV2 sound engine is Korg Italy's version of EDS-X with "Real eXperience" and modeled specific amplifier/speaker emulations plus an actual tube. I believe the underlying samples are different as well.

So you can't create a layer without connecting to a PC/Mac?

Right.

Another 2K keyboard without channel, let alone poly, aftertouch. I guess they spent that money on the 2600.

Don"t need it for its primary purpose of organs and pianos. The FM synth in its current incarnation isn"t editable and they haven"t mentioned anything about an editing software.

It competes with the Electro and SK1 which also don"t have AT. The Electro doesn"t have a synth engine at all (the sample synth is useful but it"s extremely limited), the SK hasn"t a synth engine either.

But I agree, if the YC goes on top of a CP it"s silly not to give it an editable FM synth at this price point. In which case Channel AT would have been cool too.

Whoops, I think you meant to post that in the YC thread, not SV2. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The SV2 EPs are supposed to be improved compared to the SV1 (i.e. I saw one interview with a Korg rep who said that some of the same instruments used larger sample sets than they did on the SV1 for more velocity layers).

Do you happen to have a link to that interview? I've been trying to find a definitive answer to that seemingly simple question since the SV2 was announced.

The SV2 EPs are supposed to be improved compared to the SV1 (i.e. I saw one interview with a Korg rep who said that some of the same instruments used larger sample sets than they did on the SV1 for more velocity layers).

Do you happen to have a link to that interview? I've been trying to find a definitive answer to that seemingly simple question since the SV2 was announced.

check 1:20 - 1:45.

That said, hearing something from one rep in a video is not a 100% accuracy guarantee. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 months later...

My Korg SV-2S73 arrived on my doorstep in a shredded box. I had a sinking feeling when I saw it in that condition on my steps, and sure enough the bottom 5 keys were knocked out of place and unuseable. I guess when Guitar Center says "open box" you have to take them literally.

I'll return it to my local GC in San Francisco but in the mean time I've had a chance to try it out and I like it a lot.

I had an SV1 when they first came out but eventually gave up on it for the following fairly common reasons:

1) APs all sounded brittle in a way that couldn't be fixed with EQ

2) APs lacked the great finger to ear connection of the EPs

3) presets would change by accidentally hitting the preset buttons, even after Korg supposedly "fixed" the problem

4) tube was good for aggressive sounds but mostly useless for the more modest goal of just taking off the digital edge

It seems in the SV2 1-3 are fixed. The APs sound much less brittle to my ears and feel better under the fingers. The tube still works about the same, but that's not a deal breaker.

I can't A-B it with the SV1 to compare EPs, so I can't do my own comparison. The EPs sounded and felt great before, and they still do.

The speakers are better than I expected and the pearl white color is very nice, but when I return it I'll order a non-speaker version instead. I got a speaker version because it was an "open box" and was actually cheaper than the non-speaker. But if I can't save the money then I'd rather save the weight.

The SV2 gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The SV2 gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Glad to hear you dig it. After having mine for several weeks, my initial thumbs-up still stands wholeheartedly. I used it earlier tonight for one song during a piano/vocal duo livestream, when I spontaneously decided to do one of the tunes on Wurli instead of AP. It performed beautifully and everybody dug it,

The only thing about it that I've come to like a little less is that the AP sounds have a sort of "boxy" quality that's most noticeable through headphones. I only noticed it for the first time tonight when I was using it for some transcribing. In a band situation I'd likely never notice it. And of course, the APs aren't what I got it for anyway. I got it because when I want to get my Richard Tee phased Rhodes or my Donnie Hathaway Wurli on, it gets me there like no other board. For that I'm still 100% happy with it.

I exchanged my broken SV2S73 for an SV273. All good now. For all the bad things I've said about Guitar Center, there is no place that makes a transaction like this easier -- drive 30 minutes, walk in, walk out. Of course they did send me the first one in a box that was already shredded before shipment, which is probably why it broke on its way to me.

Interesting thing about the exchange. I walked in carrying the SV2S in a gig bag, walked out with the SV2 in the same bag. I've been thinking for a few years that my weight limit is 38 lbs. I don't know how I arrived at that number but the SV2 exchange is strong evidence supporting. The speaker-less version is 37+ lbs and feels ok to carry. The speakered version at 40+ lbs and was causing pain in my arms and shoulders.

Some notes from a small amount of time with the SV2...

I loaded some SV1 sounds into it. They do sound almost identical, but to get it as close as possible, I found I had to roll off the bass a bit and boost the treble. The reverb is also a little different, the new one sounds richer.

For the most part, I actually prefer the SV1 Rhodes sounds. Of the six stock SV2 Rhodes sounds, there's probably only one I'd care to use. But I know a lot more could be done with the editor. And at least those SV1 Rhodes sounds that weren't part of add-on packs can be easily added to the SV2.

Cool surprise... seamless sound switching lets you hold a sound through multiple sound transitions (something the Kronos and presumably Grandstage do not). You may hear an occasional small glitch, but it basically works very well.

My old SV1 action feels a bit lighter/quicker. But it is a first generation SV1, before they switched to the "made in Japan" version of the RH3. If I'd had the later one, maybe there would have been no such difference.

ETA: and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but also, the SV2 takes notably longer to boot.

Scott - how would you compare the RH3 in the SV2 and how it feels and behaves with the pianos and electric pianos to:

Korg Grandstage

RD-2000

CP-88

Crumar Seven

Nord Electro HP

Nord Piano 4

You happen to have selected 6 keyboards I have never had the opportunity to lay my fingers on!

Scott - how would you compare the RH3 in the SV2 and how it feels and behaves with the pianos and electric pianos to:

Korg Grandstage

RD-2000

CP-88

Crumar Seven

Nord Electro HP

Nord Piano 4

You happen to have selected 6 keyboards I have never had the opportunity to lay my fingers on!

:laugh:

The post Covid state of affairs. I haven't been in a shop since February. But, I've played the first four.

I'd rank them for action and finger feel favorite to least favorite

1. CP-88 - feels great on everything - piano especially,

2. Grandstage - I had trouble getting it to feel the way I wanted despite the dedicated dynamics knob. It's alright, I actually like the MOX8 better if that means anything.

3. RD-2000 - I like it for comping, playing percussive/rhytmic guitar-like stuff with band or singer. But I find the action slow for playing leads, licks and solo piano works.

4. Seven - feels great on Rhodes specifically. Scarily authentic. On piano sounds, just no. Can't recommend it if that's important.

I'm not up on the Nords and don't see an opportunity to play one anytime soon. They say the Nord Grand is worth a sit down, but it's so damn expensive, can't really compare with the SV-2 $ for $. I've payed the SV-1 on many occassions and felt similar to the Crumar it's great fun for Rhodes. Acoustic pianos not so much, so the new AP sounds and changes to the way the action controls them is intriguing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Some notes from a small amount of time with the SV2...

(...)

Cool surprise... seamless sound switching lets you hold a sound through multiple sound transitions (something the Kronos and presumably Grandstage do not). You may hear an occasional small glitch, but it basically works very well.

Seems like the glitches are due to different levels of part 1, part 2 and part 3 when switching two different patches. When you choose next patch, the sound from previous patch sustains, but at the volume level of newly selected patch!

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

Cool surprise... seamless sound switching lets you hold a sound through multiple sound transitions (something the Kronos and presumably Grandstage do not).

If what you mean by multiple is holding down the sustain pedal and switching panel Favorites or individual patches for the right & left sides without interruption, Grandstage does that.

Here for the gear.

Seems like the glitches are due to different levels of part 1, part 2 and part 3 when switching two different patches. When you choose next patch, the sound from previous patch sustains, but at the volume level of newly selected patch!

Good detective work!

If what you mean by multiple is holding down the sustain pedal and switching panel Favorites or individual patches for the right & left sides without interruption, Grandstage does that.

On a Kronos, you can hold a note through a change to a second sound, but if you continue to hold both of those notes with the two different sounds when switching to a third sound, the first sound will cut off. On the SV2, it will not. Since the Grandstage is largely derived from Kronos, I assumed it probably does this the way Kronos does?

On a Kronos, you can hold a note through a change to a second sound, but if you continue to hold both of those notes with the two different sounds when switching to a third sound, the first sound will cut off. On the SV2, it will not. Since the Grandstage is largely derived from Kronos, I assumed it probably does this the way Kronos does?

I see what you mean now, Scott. Just tried it, and it's like the SV2.

Here for the gear.

My old SV1 action feels a bit lighter/quicker. But it is a first generation SV1, before they switched to the "made in Japan" version of the RH3.

I have the same "old" SV1 and really like the action. I'm intrigued to try the SV2 now for no other reason than to compare and contrast. Not intrigued enough to bother going into a music store until this COVID thing is done, though. That said, I'm really appreciating these comparisons that you guys are doing for (my) future reference.

Kind of stepping back from the details, I find it interesting how little has changed due to this 10 year remodel. The voices are a little improved and some features added, but it feels very much like the same instrument. Much like a "real" instrument, you either vibe with it or you don't. There aren't enough features to make up for a lack of visceral enthusiasm. But it definitely inspires that enthusiasm in some people.

Kind of stepping back from the details, I find it interesting how little has changed due to this 10 year remodel. The voices are a little improved and some features added, but it feels very much like the same instrument. Much like a "real" instrument, you either vibe with it or you don't. There aren't enough features to make up for a lack of visceral enthusiasm. But it definitely inspires that enthusiasm in some people.

I can't agree with your observation: 10 times the PCM memory, finally delivering a range of usable pianos, is pretty significant in a stage piano product. I'd call that more than "a little improved"...I stopped using it in spite of how much I loved the Rhodes/Wurly because I simply couldn't play exposed/non-bar-rock piano tunes on it. Mind you, I don't have an SV-2, but I'd consider it now...

Feeling very much like the same instrument isn't a bad thing... for those that like the design concept in the first place.

I do agree with this: you either vibe with it or not...

Jerry

Feeling very much like the same instrument isn't a bad thing...

Jerry, I think you interpreted my post as criticism but in fact it was applause for sticking with a successful design. I'm loving my SV2 and plan on keeping it.

I'll stand by my big picture characterization of it feeling like pretty much the same instrument it was a decade ago. I think the average SV2 owner is someone who puts a high value on being able to dig into EPs on a digital instrument and get more of that "like the real thing" feeling than most other DPs can deliver. They will put their money and stage space towards the SV2 even though it lacks the features of many other DPs in that price range. That basic dynamic hasn't change. But now it has pretty good acoustic pianos, too.

Interesting comparators might be the Crumar Seven and the new Viscount 70's, both being EP-focused. I owned a Seven, but ultimately couldn't get along with the AP aspects of it. Comparing EP sounds to each other, that's a tough one, there might be fans in both camps. I'd have to do a side by side to decide. But I'll take Korg's RH3 action over the Fatar action in the Crumar. That's an easy choice and a clear tie-breaker if there is a tie.

Hi Adan:

Yes, I did, my bad.

But I was reacting specifically to "the voices are a little improved" part of it. They squarely addressed one of the main weaknesses of the instrument, making it more viable for many.

I do agree that the rigid design concept makes it more difficult for players who need a bottom board to be somewhat of a controller, for example. When I first showed it to artists like Herbie Hancock, and Tom Coster, they seriously bemoaned the lack of pitch bend and mod wheel. They are firmly in the camp of, "I don't care that you couldn't do it with the real thing", give me the choice to do what I want!!

But it proudly is what the team wanted it to be, and they're not letting go of that.

I must admit that I would l would love to try it out on some gigs...

Jerry

Feeling very much like the same instrument isn't a bad thing...

Jerry, I think you interpreted my post as criticism but in fact it was applause for sticking with a successful design. I'm loving my SV2 and plan on keeping it.

I'll stand by my big picture characterization of it feeling like pretty much the same instrument it was a decade ago. I think the average SV2 owner is someone who puts a high value on being able to dig into EPs on a digital instrument and get more of that "like the real thing" feeling than most other DPs can deliver. They will put their money and stage space towards the SV2 even though it lacks the features of many other DPs in that price range. That basic dynamic hasn't change. But now it has pretty good acoustic pianos, too.

Interesting comparators might be the Crumar Seven and the new Viscount 70's, both being EP-focused. I owned a Seven, but ultimately couldn't get along with the AP aspects of it. Comparing EP sounds to each other, that's a tough one, there might be fans in both camps. I'd have to do a side by side to decide. But I'll take Korg's RH3 action over the Fatar action in the Crumar. That's an easy choice and a clear tie-breaker if there is a tie.

I was late to the game and just stumbled across news of the SV-2 a couple months ago. Seems like Korg attacked all of the SV-1 complaints head-on. Always bothered me that they never supported split or layered sounds in the first place when examples were in the sound packs.

My first thought was to eventually replace my SV-1 with the SV-2, but after watching a lot of Crumar Seven demos, I kinda want to get that instead and keep the SV-1, too. I like the idea of having two vintage flavors to choose from, as well as having a full keybed or a more portable 73 key suitcase EP.

Is there already a good thread for discussing the best SV-1 voices? I'd love to compare notes with other owners. The actual Korg forum is dead.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I'm considering the SV-2 as my "home and gig" keyboard (gig in post-covid era). I have a few questions about the layers.

1) do all the 3 layers (main layer 1, layer 2, layer 3 or split) run always on a single MIDI channel?

2) imagine if I have a split sound with lead sound on layer 1 and pad sound on layer 3 on the left side (split). We know that instrument accepts eg. CC01 modulation. Is there a possibility to have only layer 1 (lead) affected by a modulation? Or pitch bend? Or cutoff? Obviously from external controller via MIDI.

3) I could want to have a sound: Rhodes on layer 1, on layer 2 there are some Rhodes RX-noises and a strings or pad sound on layer 3 (no split). Manual for the Editor says that ALL effects can be bypassed or not bypassed. I would like to have some FX like phaser on that Rhodes (so on layer 1 or both 1&2), but obviously no phaser effect on strings or pad sound. There is also the reverb and master effect (limiter). Will I lose all the reverbation on pad or strings sound if I wanted a phaser on Rhodes only?

4) Similar question. What if I wanted some amp sim on that Rhodes on and obviously no amp sim on strings sound? I don't know at the moment if I need it, but jsut curious about the possibility. Can I still have reverb on that string sound?

Maybe I'm demanding too much from the SV-2 which is meant to be simple and Grandstage is better option for me. Grandstage is a bit more functional with the separate reverb/delay send levels for both sections and most importantly the dedicated FX in single sounds. But the SV-2 sounds so good and natural and looks nice ð ...

Thanks in advance for help.

1) do all the 3 layers (main layer 1, layer 2, layer 3 or split) run always on a single MIDI channel?

Yes, I believe so.

2) imagine if I have a split sound with lead sound on layer 1 and pad sound on layer 3 on the left side (split). We know that instrument accepts eg. CC01 modulation. Is there a possibility to have only layer 1 (lead) affected by a modulation? Or pitch bend? Or cutoff? Obviously from external controller via MIDI.

I don't know what it is that CC01 (modulation) controls... maybe depth on some of the selectable effects? Pitch bend works. There's no MIDI controllable filter. But in terms of MIDI, whatever affects one of the three possible sounds should affect all of them. The exception I can think of is, if CC1 is affecting an effect, and you have effect bypass on for some of the split/layered sounds, then CC1 might not do anything on those sounds...?

3) I could want to have a sound: Rhodes on layer 1, on layer 2 there are some Rhodes RX-noises and a strings or pad sound on layer 3 (no split). Manual for the Editor says that ALL effects can be bypassed or not bypassed. I would like to have some FX like phaser on that Rhodes (so on layer 1 or both 1&2), but obviously no phaser effect on strings or pad sound. There is also the reverb and master effect (limiter). Will I lose all the reverbation on pad or strings sound if I wanted a phaser on Rhodes only?

4) Similar question. What if I wanted some amp sim on that Rhodes on and obviously no amp sim on strings sound? I don't know at the moment if I need it, but jsut curious about the possibility. Can I still have reverb on that string sound?

As near as I can determine, the only effect which always effects all split/layer parts of sound is the final limiter. All the rest appear to be enabled/disabled as a set, i.e. for any given split/layered sound, they are either sent through all enabled effects, or none. I see no way to be more selective than that. If you want reverb on all split/layered sounds but you don't want your other effects to be on all the split/layered sounds, I guess you'd have to process them through an external reverb (whether in your mixer/amp, or a separate fx unit).

Maybe I'm demanding too much from the SV-2 which is meant to be simple and Grandstage is better option for me. Grandstage is a bit more functional with the separate reverb/delay send levels for both sections and most importantly the dedicated FX in single sounds.
Grandstage allows you to split/layer two sounds, and have separate effects for each, but you have very little contriol over which effects they will be. SV2 allows you to split/layer 3 sounds and they do NOT have separate effects (you can only choose whether they do or do not go through shared effects), but you have way more effects options overall. So that's the trade-off there.

Here's a real-world example. Grandstage and SV2 both have programs for all 4 of the basic Clav sounds: pickup positions AC, AD, BC, and BD. SV2 allows you to put ANY pre fx, ANY amp sim, and ANY post FX on any of those 4 fundamental clav sounds, and all at the same time. Grandstage only allows you to have the effects they have preselected. So for example, if you want a phaser on your clav, on the GS, you can only have it on AC or BD, AND it cannot be combined with any other effect (except the reverb/delay). Want to add auto-wah? Amp emulation? Can't do it. But on the SV2, not only can you put phaser on ANY of the pickup positions, you can also simultaneously have phaser AND autowah AND amp emulation (and the reverb/delay). Similarly, want a chorus effect on the clav? On the Grandstage, you can only use it on pickup position BC. Flanger is only available on AD. Autowah is only on AC and BD. The SV2 again lets you use these effects on the sounds of any of the clav pickup positions.

As an aside, this also means that Grandstage actually has far fewer clav sounds in it than you might realize. If you look at the sound list, it appears to have 14 clav sounds, but it's really just 4 clav sounds, with different effects combinations. Since SV2 allows you assign any of its effects (and more of them) to any of its sounds, the same 4 basic sounds can generate far more than 14 total variations! (Though GS has one effect that the SV2 does not, a talkbox emulation.) So GS's 14 clav options provide fewer clav variations than just 4 clav option so on the SV2. (And then SV2 has more clav sounds besides.)

There's also the variable that SV2 effects are directly adjustable, whereas you have to menu dive on the GS.

I guess the effects comparison comes down to this: The SV2 gives you way more flexible effects (more available effects for a sound, in more combinations, and with more direct control), but the effects will be on only one sound if you split/layer (with the other sounds having either no effects, or sharing the effect of the main sound). The Grandstage effects are far more limited, but you can have separate effects for each part of a split/layer... and the added restriction here is that you can't split/layer more than two sounds whereas you can do three on the SV2. So I guess the question there is, would you rather have 2 sounds with (less flexible, fewer) separate effects, or three sounds where the effects are more flexible and combinable but two of the sounds either have either the same effects as the first sound or none at all?

So in terms of effects, while GS is more functional as you say in some ways, it is more limited in others.

Here in Polish demo

at about 0:30 you can see and hear that SV-2 accept both modulation and cutoff sent from PC3K6. But I was wondering if it can be used for single layer out of the three.

If only the limiter is global effect, it is not good. If limiter and reverb is global it is OK. Could someone confirm if reverb is global effect or not? Will the strings (with pre and mod FX bypassed) be completely dry when layered with any other sound with FX?

Great analysis about Clav possibilities, thanks.

Ok I think I have an answer about questions 3 and 4.

Around 03:30 there is a split sound El. Bass / Rhodes. While the Rhodes has some reverb on it (and tremolo set but switched off) and classic chorus, the bass is completely dry. To get this, the FX bypass must have been switched on on that bass split sound on layer 3.

Then, it is no matter if it is dual or split. Multi is multi.

So reverb can be switched off together with all other FX... Or switched on together with all other FX and tube.

1504.thumb.jpg.b7bc08cd15b818cdc69f78521d0d7c55.jpg

Here in Polish demo

at about 0:30 you can see and hear that SV-2 accept both modulation and cutoff sent from PC3K6. But I was wondering if it can be used for single layer out of the three.

Thanks for that link! That's really surprising, since the required CC#74 is not shown as supported in the SV2 manual, which only shows these as recognized:

SV2-CC.jpg

But still, since MIDI commands are channel specific, and the SV2 seems to put all its playing sounds on the same channel, I would be surprised if there were any way it could affect one sound but not the others. The editor does not appear to give any control of whether a given sound does or does not respond to a MIDI command. The only control parameters that seem individually selectable for any of the three possible split/layered sounds is whether or not they respond to damper, pedal 1, or pedal 2.

My personal take on the SV2 is that it is still primarily designed for being a great one-sound-at-a-time instrument, not really geared to people who do tons of split work, but it's great that they gave you the facilities to be able to create some splits for the occasional times you may really need them. (Remember that with only 64 savable locations, you're not going to be able to create tons of splits for individual songs in a large repertoire anyway.) Grandstage may be a little more split-friendly, between the separate effects and the fact that you can implement the splits on the board itself (albeit limiting you to 2 rather than 3 sounds), but if I were really split-focussed in my usage, I don't think either of these boards would be among my top choices.

My personal take on the SV2 is that it is still primarily designed for being a great one-sound-at-a-time instrument, not really geared to people who do tons of split work, but it's great that they gave you the facilities to be able to create some splits for the occasional times you may really need them. (Remember that with only 64 savable locations, you're not going to be able to create tons of splits for individual songs in a large repertoire anyway.) Grandstage may be a little more split-friendly, between the separate effects and the fact that you can implement the splits on the board itself (albeit limiting you to 2 rather than 3 sounds), but if I were really split-focussed in my usage, I don't think either of these boards would be among my top choices.

Yes, you're right. At least SV-2 gives the possibility of independent Expression and Damper Rx enabling or disabling for all layers, whereas in Grandstage switching off expression for one part switches off also modulation and SW1 SW2 buttons (Other controls grouped together).

This is very strange to make such limits in boards like this. Dear Korg, look at Yamaha new CP73/88 and YC61 ! Every of them can be even a masterkeyboard!! And all switchable: expression/modulation/pitchbend range etc for internal and external zones.... you can even set expression min/max value independently. Come on, Korg! Not everyone wants to buy heavy, bulky Kronos!

Pawelsz, the GS and SV are very different approaches to keyboards. There's obviously strengths to having a 500 voice swiss army knife with canned effects built into the instruments, but there's something totally different and rewarding about the SV instrument interface. You have raw instrument sounds that are jumping off points and then five high quality effect sections (EQ, Pre FX, Amp Drive, Mod FX, Reverb/Delay) at the turn of a knob.

AnotherScott spelled it out pretty well with his description of the clavinet presets. I could take any individual preset instrument and come up with multiple completely unique variations worth saving in favorites in any one sitting. You also have complete control over the entire preset section of the SV in addition to the favorites, so my SV1 has my own personal sound bank top to bottom which is a small point of pride every time I turn it on.

It really depends what you want. What brought you to considering the SV2 if you are focused on splits and layers? I think we've made the case for the specific strengths of the SV2, but there are stage keyboards like the YC61 or Vox Continental (and many others) that let you throw splits and layers together on the fly and save them.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation