Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK2 vs SKX

Hi Guys

Thinking of switching to an SKX - anyone know if the setup files from an SK2 are compatible?

I'd hate to have to program it all again!

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure. Ray Gerlich (spelling) over at Hammond-Suzuki could tell you better. Not sure how many people have had both boards.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Can't tell you if the setup files are compatible but as a longtime SK2 user like yourself who has looked into the SKX I have a few observations. You probably already know this stuff but here goes. It appears that the major differences between the two are the 2nd set of drawbars,the 11 pin leslie connector,and a slightly different front panel on the SKX. Supposedly the extra voices on the SKX have been tweaked to work better with the SKX keyboard although either SK's extra voices are often deemed mediocre.

Do you use the 8pin cable on the SK2 to send audio and speed control to your Vent? I do and it works beautifully. I have yet to see an 11 pin version of the same made for the SKX although you or someone you know might be able to rig up something. It will be interesting to see if the 11 pin XK3C to Vent cable that was available for a little while will work with the SKX.

My workaround for a second set of drawbars for the SK2 is a set of Ocean Beach drawbars left over from my Nord fanboy days. I had to reprogram them to work with the SK but they work great.

As for the organ sounds,they seem identical. Personally,I'll probably just stick with the SK2. I hope this has provided a little food for thought. Sorry I couldn't answer your main question. Good luck with your decision.

And you get two Extra Voices at once, but they run through the same fx chain with the same settings and at least for me that isn't going to work most of the time. A second set of drawbars might be tempting but the price of entry is pretty steep.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Getting an SKX is not in my financial or practical use future but just out of curiosity do the SKX's have pitch & mod wheels? That's one of the 2 Achilles heels on the SK1 but I see they fixed the other - not being able to play more than one extra voice at a time.

Thanks guys.

It's more about the ergonomics than anything else - having more patches readily available is a good thing for me.

Better layout is another

I don't think the extra voices will be useful though you never know.

And I found one at a good price which is only ex-demo, so not much cost to change up.

I believe I've found someone who supplies a suitable 11 pin to Vent cable so that should be fine.

I'll let you know!

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Getting an SKX is not in my financial or practical use future but just out of curiosity do the SKX's have pitch & mod wheels? That's one of the 2 Achilles heels on the SK1 but I see they fixed the other - not being able to play more than one extra voice at a time.

No unfortunately

Not sure. Ray Gerlich (spelling) over at Hammond-Suzuki could tell you better. Not sure how many people have had both boards.

Can't get hold on anyone at Hammond Support - ignoring my emails.

Got a direct email for Ray?

That"s been my experience also. Support at Addison has gone to hell. My last questions were parts related and Bill Brown at BB organ helped me. Hammond company was useless.

Scott May may know or know how to actually talk to a human who can help. He was on the forum but there were Hammond players and non-Hammond players here and people are ignorant and treat everything in this world as our team versus your team. He left. I never seen him on here anymore.

Scott is super active on Facebook. I"d try Scott May.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
Can't tell you if the setup files are compatible but as a longtime SK2 user like yourself who has looked into the SKX I have a few observations. You probably already know this stuff but here goes. It appears that the major differences between the two are the 2nd set of drawbars,the 11 pin leslie connector,and a slightly different front panel on the SKX. Supposedly the extra voices on the SKX have been tweaked to work better with the SKX keyboard although either SK's extra voices are often deemed mediocre.

Do you use the 8pin cable on the SK2 to send audio and speed control to your Vent? I do and it works beautifully. I have yet to see an 11 pin version of the same made for the SKX although you or someone you know might be able to rig up something. It will be interesting to see if the 11 pin XK3C to Vent cable that was available for a little while will work with the SKX.

My workaround for a second set of drawbars for the SK2 is a set of Ocean Beach drawbars left over from my Nord fanboy days. I had to reprogram them to work with the SK but they work great.

As for the organ sounds,they seem identical. Personally,I'll probably just stick with the SK2. I hope this has provided a little food for thought. Sorry I couldn't answer your main question. Good luck with your decision.

The SKX Black Edition has arrived! Looks resplendent in its all matt black attire, more chunky than the SK2.

The good news is that the cable which works for the XK3c also works for the SKX :)

The bad news is I didn't find a way to transfer patches and now I'm about 12 patches into a 40 patch setup :(

From a sound point of view I think Jim Alfredson is right - they have tweaked the VASEIII and it sounds warmer in the SKX side by side with the SK2 :cool:

They did something to the engine or audio chain. My SKX sound a lot better than my XK3C. I especially notice it when playing straight 8s. They SKX is way less harsh.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Any link to this version? Can"t find it online?

Now you come to mention I couldn't find another one either - also odd is this one has no serial number..........

The XK3c to Vent cable works.

The SKX is now locked and loaded!

Sounds great!

An SK2 will shortly be available on EBay...........