Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years #2988922 05/09/19 09:43 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I just might have to make time for this. smile

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/yes-key...ur-in-13-years/

"The Grumpy Old Rock Star" North American tour dates:

Sep. 21 - Annapolis, MD - Maryland Hall For The Creative Arts
Sep. 22 - Derry, NH - Tupelo Music Hall
Sep. 23 - Boston, MA - The Wilbur
Sep. 24 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
Sep. 25 - Alexandria, VA - The Birchmere
Sep. 27 - Quebec City, QC - Palais Montcalm
Sep. 28 - Montreal, QC - Olympia Theatre
Sep. 29 - Toronto, ON - Danforth Music Hall
Oct. 02 - Harrisburg, PA - Whitaker Center
Oct. 04 - St. Charles, IL - Arcada Theatre
Oct. 08 - Allentown, PA - Miller Symphony Hall
Oct. 10 - Englewood, NJ - Bergen Performing Arts Center
Oct. 11 - Collingswood, NJ - Scottish Rite Auditorium
Oct. 13 - Ridgefield, CT - Ridgefield Playhouse

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
KC Island
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #2988936 05/10/19 12:30 AM
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Nothing south of Virginia. *sigh*

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: Synthaholic] #2988957 05/10/19 04:44 AM
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Nor anything Midwest, let alone west...

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: Marzzz] #2989029 05/10/19 01:28 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
it is interesting except for one gig just west of Chicago, everything is on the East Coast, including the 2 Canadian gigs. Almost like "if I need to get back to England in a hurry, I can."

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #2989036 05/10/19 01:50 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Sadly...I think it's more about where prog is traditionally strong in the US.

dB

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #2989059 05/10/19 04:10 PM
S
SeaGtGruff Offline
S
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Sep. 21 - Annapolis, MD - Maryland Hall For The Creative Arts
Sep. 22 - Derry, NH - Tupelo Music Hall
Sep. 23 - Boston, MA - The Wilbur
Sep. 24 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
Sep. 25 - Alexandria, VA - The Birchmere

Holy moley, five days back-to-back, followed a couple of days later by three days back-to-back! At least he gives himself a day or three off for breathing and traveling between most of the remaining days.

As for the lack of southern or western locations, this might just be the first leg of his tour, with additional dates and places yet to be announced for a second or even third leg. (One can hope, anyway!)

Michael Rideout
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: Dave Bryce] #2989089 05/10/19 06:22 PM
G
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Sadly...I think it's more about where prog is traditionally strong in the US.

dB

I think I'll call my real estate agent...I need to move.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #2989117 05/10/19 09:22 PM
L
LarsHarner Offline
L
Thanks for posting- the Scottish Rite in Collignswood is a great venue- I just got though Marcus Roberts in Philadelphia for the same night

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: LarsHarner] #3008992 09/21/19 09:18 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
US tour opens tonight, many dates added, including 3 in California

TOUR DATES

looking forward to this 2thu

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3008996 09/21/19 10:03 PM
Dave Bryce Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
I got tix when they were announced.

dB

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009028 09/22/19 08:28 AM
H
hardware Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
H
Awesome.
I hope he talks to the audience, the guy cracks me up.
Last time I saw him I was 12 years old and he had a Sequenced Cape and I was mesmerized by the sound of the Moog and Mellotron.
Im going to try and stay over for a week and catch the show in St. Charles.
Im playing in Peoria on the 27th. Just have to change my flight and hit my cousin up in Champagne for a crib, and hes got a killer Studio with a rack of Symbolic Sound gear.
He edits films for TV and does wonders with audio.

Wish I would have known about this sooner.

Any idea what material he will be okaying?

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: hardware] #3009050 09/22/19 02:58 PM
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by hardware
Awesome.
I hope he talks to the audience, the guy cracks me up.
Last time I saw him I was 12 years old and he had a Sequenced Cape and I was mesmerized by the sound of the Moog and Mellotron.
Im going to try and stay over for a week and catch the show in St. Charles.
Im playing in Peoria on the 27th. Just have to change my flight and hit my cousin up in Champagne for a crib, and hes got a killer Studio with a rack of Symbolic Sound gear.
He edits films for TV and does wonders with audio.

Wish I would have known about this sooner.

Any idea what material he will be okaying?

Unfortunately he'll just be doing his Victor Borge shtick, not something I'm interested in seeing. Just him joking with the audience and playing his piano. No band. No multiple keyboards.
I was going to go to the Ridgefield CT show until I confirmed this with the box office. frown

https://ridgefieldplayhouse.org/event/rick-wakeman/

Also, meet & greet is $150! facepalm

I saw the Cowboy Junkies there for $50 and Margo Timmins went out in the lobby after the show to talk with fans for free.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009052 09/22/19 03:28 PM
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Billy Joel did that type of gig, and I saw a video of his act on the Penn State Campus some time ago. The audience enjoyed the question and answer session, Billy playing a grand piano and explaining the origins of his material.

Tickets weren't anywhere near $150.00.

Mike T.

Last edited by MikeT156; 09/22/19 03:30 PM.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: MikeT156] #3009055 09/22/19 04:05 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
just to clarify, tickets aren't $150.00. VIP packages are $150.00. This has been the new normal for just about every act for quite a while now. Rick is playing 2 dozen shows in the USA and Canada, obviously people want to see him. He already has a dozen shows scheduled for December in England. People must still like him.
I have seen Snarky Puppy 7 times and have never paid much more, if any, over $50.00. They always come to the lobby after every show for chat, photos, and autograph signing for free. There are always going to be exceptions to the VIP experience, but we will see it more often than not.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009063 09/22/19 04:26 PM
waygetter Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Is this a music tour or comedy tour? I would like either.

soundcloud.com/stream
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: waygetter] #3009071 09/22/19 04:44 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
stories, comedy, and solo piano. Dude is still quite an accomplished piano player at 70

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009072 09/22/19 05:01 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted by davedoerfler
s Dude is still quite an accomplished piano player at 70

why not ?

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: GregC] #3009092 09/22/19 09:09 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
some people, myself included, get arthritis. others get carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm sure there could be other health reasons

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009094 09/22/19 09:13 PM
xKnuckles Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I've seen his several of his solo shows in the UK (Rick lives near me.... grin ) It is always wonderful. He is incredibly funny and his playing is great. I love the stripped down versions of his famous works. Like all well written compositions, they work just as well on solo piano as they do in a huge band. I would highly recommend this show to anyone who loves the piano and has a sense of humour. smile

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" wink Bluzeyone
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: xKnuckles] #3009129 09/23/19 02:32 AM
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
He's not coming to Indy but I might make the trip to St Louis you see him. Tempted to do the meet and greet, but it ain't cheap. Anybody done that before? Is it nothing more than a simple handshake and a quick snap of the cell phone camera before someone ushers you along?

Somehow I manage to con people into paying me to play with toys that make noise.
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: mcgoo] #3009134 09/23/19 03:03 AM
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by mcgoo
He's not coming to Indy but I might make the trip to St Louis you see him. Tempted to do the meet and greet, but it ain't cheap. Anybody done that before? Is it nothing more than a simple handshake and a quick snap of the cell phone camera before someone ushers you along?

According to the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield CT (I'd guess the price is the same everywhere else):

MEET & GREET UPGRADE AVAILABLE: $150 Additional
Includes:
– Priority check-in and entrance
– Meet & Greet with Rick Wakeman
– Photo opportunity with Rick Wakeman
– Invitation to private sound check
– Merchandise item designed and created exclusively for package purchasers
– Collectible laminate to remember your evening
– Onsite check-in staff

So $80-$90 for the ticket, plus $150 for the meet & greet. ohmy

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: Ed A.] #3009162 09/23/19 09:37 AM
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Ed A.

According to the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield CT (I'd guess the price is the same everywhere else):

Includes:
– Onsite check-in staff

Yeah, I'd seen that much online, but that doesn't really answer the question about the actual meet and greet. If it's a real hang, cool. If it's a very brief "hello", then "NEXT!", well, I'll pass.

Somehow I manage to con people into paying me to play with toys that make noise.
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: mcgoo] #3009179 09/23/19 01:13 PM
G
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
G
Originally Posted by Ed A.

Includes:
– Onsite check-in staff

Yeah, I'd seen that much online, but that doesn't really answer the question about the actual meet and greet. If it's a real hang, cool. If it's a very brief "hello", then "NEXT!", well, I'll pass.

The meet and greet and the marketing merchandising would have to provide more value IMO. If I went to the show, and met Rick, I would give him a CD of my material- and ask for his advice/help.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: GregC] #3009201 09/23/19 03:34 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm going again on Wednesday night, so I will have gone to 2 of the first 5 shows. His show on October 2nd is only 90 minutes or so from me, but if the show is exactly the same (which I kind of expect), I won't go a 3rd time.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3009849 09/26/19 05:56 PM
O
Ockeghem Offline
O
I was there too. In the back corner near the kitchen. I looked around a little, but couldn’t find you there...What did you think of the show?

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: mcgoo] #3009959 09/27/19 05:05 AM
JoeToGo Offline

There are only so many people one can 'meet' at one time. But still: real face time with the very real Rick Wakeman. I expect the results could well be a bit more than "hello" but necessarily less than "a real hang" simply because everybody there is in competition to meet/talk to the same person.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, new gear!
Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3010019 09/27/19 03:50 PM
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm going again on Wednesday night, so I will have gone to 2 of the first 5 shows. His show on October 2nd is only 90 minutes or so from me, but if the show is exactly the same (which I kind of expect), I won't go a 3rd time.
I am also attending Wednesday's Harrisburg concert. Looking forward to this!

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: SteveCoscia] #3010022 09/27/19 04:07 PM
davedoerfler Offline OP
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
it's a very enjoyable show, Steve.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3010027 09/27/19 05:07 PM
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
it's a very enjoyable show, Steve.
That's what I thought. While I am not yet at the Grump Stage, this is an event to which I'd relate.

Re: RICK WAKEMAN To Embark On First Solo U.S. Tour In 13 Years [Re: davedoerfler] #3010857 10/03/19 11:43 AM
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Last night's Rick Wakeman concert was inspiring. Simplicity at its best - a man, a piano and talent. Also nice to hang with an entire audience in my age bracket - we related to Rick's anecdotes about aging, doctor visits, declining health and memories of loved ones lost.

The top photo was taken when I first arrived. My smartphone didn't do the second photo justice. I was in the third row and close enough to witness Rick's personality, signature story-telling and non-verbal nuance. Overall a fun night out.

[Linked Image from coscia.com]

[Linked Image from coscia.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner