Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JR does his 2019 live rig rundown

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be a funny sight- Jordan in JR's cowboy hat!

I've seen JR promote so many products, and yet here he's going on about his DW setup. I suppose he has some sponsorship with every product he showed, if nothing else that it was given to him.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

He's had a pretty similar rig for quite a while - he started on the OASYS and moved to the Kronos when it came out. That's always been the center of his rig.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I can still remember when a Triton Extreme was his centerpiece. I'm surprised there are no Roli products in this as much promo as he's done/doing for them.

I seem to remember before the Korg wasn't he a big Kurzweil supporter and/or maybe endorsee?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

He's having fun, and I think that's great. Glad I don't have to haul that many items though, and that stand must weigh a ton. Very cool though, if I ever became a frontman keyboard person, that would be a lot of fun. Even if I'm not a metal person I can totally appreciate what he does and the skill it takes. I tend to prefer it when he just does demoes or solo stuff like this video where I can hear his playing without the guitars, he sometimes really shines then.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I got tired of reading magazines and set up a similar rig in the bathroom.

I almost expected him to plug the moose he uses to fluff his goatee this is more of a commercial for every product he uses rather than a description of his rig.

Those are great sounding patches for noodling. Dream Theater has not grabbed me but I have not seen a video of Rudess showing off a keyboard or softsynth I did not enjoy.

Those little snippets of different patches make me wonder why more do not gravitate to keyboards than to guitars, especially with the contemporary price making so much more accessible to people.

A synthesizer exponentially excites my ears compared to about 95% of guitar tones.

Great video. Nice to be able to see and hear the content with excellent audio and video quality. Many of the Keyboard Mag videos suffer from horrendous production that make them barely usable.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I for one am not going to slag on a musician -- any musician -- who has found a way to make a go of it and seems to be having fun in the process.

Pro athletes make decent coin through sponsorship, why not pro musicians?

I will say, I do appreciate the gear pr0n here, but like all such things, it ain't my reality. Fun to watch, though.

I like what he's done with the Space Heater, but overkill for my needs. At some point I'll be interested in a single-channel version with real tube and a decent power supply.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I feel the XK-5 is overkill on this gig - although it may very well have the nicest action as an organ controller. For running it through the Space Heater and using the Vent and Line6 FX - the CX3 engine on the Kronos would have been fine as the source organ tone. YMMV

But then again, I am sure Hammond is thrilled to have it sitting prominently on such a successful prog rock stage.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I feel the XK-5 is overkill on this gig - although it may very well have the nicest action as an organ controller. For running it through the Space Heater and using the Vent and Line6 FX - the CX3 engine on the Kronos would have been fine as the source organ tone. YMMV

But then again, I am sure Hammond is thrilled to have it sitting prominently on such a successful prog rock stage.

It wouldn't be overkill for me. If it's the Kronos 88(which I assume it is), I sure as heck wouldn't be playing organ with that action. Then again, if I had his chops it probably wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

nice Keyfest commercial. :laugh:

Thats a bit harsh, he didn't mention who supplied his cup holder or the box of tissues on the XK-5.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I feel the XK-5 is overkill on this gig - although it may very well have the nicest action as an organ controller.

Doesn´t matter when being endorsed, isn´t it ?

For running it through the Space Heater and using the Vent and Line6 FX - the CX3 engine on the Kronos would have been fine as the source organ tone. YMMV

Well, I wonder why he´s using the Space Heater,- which is just only a "starved plate" (low voltage) 12AX7 design per channel,- for the XK 5 at all since the organ already comes w/ (12AU7/12AX7) preamp design while the Neo Ventilator II mimiks the virtual rotary speaker´s "pwr-amp" drive.

I also wonder if he uses the XK-5´s FX loop I/O for the Space Heater or if it´s wired different.

I´d understand better when he used it for the Kronos´ CX3 engine on a separate output (what he might do anyway in addition).

A.C.

It wouldn't be overkill for me. If it's the Kronos 88(which I assume it is), I sure as heck wouldn't be playing organ with that action. Then again, if I had his chops it probably wouldn't be too much of an issue.

He doesn´t play the XK-5 exclusively from it´s internal action,- he also uses it via MIDI performing on Kronos.

That´s how I understood the vid and makes sense to me too.

When he doesn´t use the Kronos´ CX3 engine, it saves DSP power for other stuff and might offer more polyphony on Kronos for complex Combi setups.

Also using a Vent saves DSP power on Kronos.

A.C.

I seem to remember before the Korg wasn't he a big Kurzweil supporter and/or maybe endorsee?

he actually was employed by Kurzweil back in 2000/2001, not sure about before that time. He did the NAMM demos for Kurzweil ; Mike Martin and I were both sales reps for Kurz at that time. Then along came Dave Weiser. :2thu:
:nopity:

And not a volume/expression pedal in sight!

I once got a closer look at Joe Zawinuls rig with the Syndicate and he had 11 of them.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

what are we talking about here ? Farm animals ?

Wait, I think I know. JR's rig. Thats right

I am interested in the Line 6 Helix rack unit.

My Kronos FX need more muscle and variety- this Line 6 hardware might be a solution

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]