Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Behringer Circuit Board Teaser - Pro One clone?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
If they nail the sound (and they probably will), this could be better than the original in that the Pro One plastic case was really pretty bad. The Behringer should, at the very least, look and feel better than the original.

Busch.

Sorry to see those cheapie slide switches carried over to the clone. They were always trouble on the original.

Moe

---

I find the growing vintage lust aroma amusing, as it seems to basically match the moaning and pissing about there being nothing "new" in synths. Isn't it really more about playable refinement now? The Prophet-12 answers one set of established questions/wants neatly and the Synclavier V answers another. I certainly won't fault anyone who has a yen for a few decent clones, but after the hardware issues I had over the years, the software route feels less stressful... says the guy who just bought a Roland D-05, which still has a GUI from Heck.

:hitt::wacko:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I find the growing vintage lust aroma amusing, as it seems to basically match the moaning and pissing about there being nothing "new" in synths. Isn't it really more about playable refinement now? The Prophet-12 answers one set of established questions/wants neatly and the Synclavier V answers another. I certainly won't fault anyone who has a yen for a few decent clones, but after the hardware issues I had over the years, the software route feels less stressful... says the guy who just bought a Roland D-05, which still has a GUI from Heck.

I feel the exact opposite. My hardware synths never let me down. Software, on the other hand, is constant maintenance. I own gigabytes of Sampletank sounds that are unplayable unless I upgrade to ST 3. 20 years on Cakewalk/ Sonar and that looks like a (possible) dead end. A host of IOS apps that are too flaky to trust at a gig. Oh, yeah, my Delta 44 soundcard on my backup PC- Windows 10 driver issues. I am sure that this is a solvable problem if I spend a few hours with it.

In the meantime, I have 20+ year old Casio and Yamaha synths that are reliable as a tank. Ditto for my 10+ year old Alesis and Mackie gear.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Another one- a nice investment in EMU Proteus softsynth (Forget what it was called), including about a half dozen discs full of sounds. Since EMU walked away, and refused to upgrade drivers, this is another waste of money.

To stay with the topic of this thread, I think that Behringer is doing a great thing here.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I feel the exact opposite. My hardware synths never let me down. Software, on the other hand, is constant maintenance. I own gigabytes of Sampletank sounds that are unplayable unless I upgrade to ST 3. 20 years on Cakewalk/ Sonar and that looks like a (possible) dead end. A host of IOS apps that are too flaky to trust at a gig. Oh, yeah, my Delta 44 soundcard on my backup PC- Windows 10 driver issues. I am sure that this is a solvable problem if I spend a few hours with it.

In the meantime, I have 20+ year old Casio and Yamaha synths that are reliable as a tank. Ditto for my 10+ year old Alesis and Mackie gear.

To be fair, my hardware generally held up until it truly cratered because the body of replacement parts dried up. I still have a treasured older Korg that holds up well. Gear that stays at home can last for decades.

I've been a Mac user for years, so system stability has (mostly) been a near-given. I don't have driver issues and Logic keeps marching along hand-in-hand with the OS. I only use a scant few third-party plug-ins, in part because I Autosampled the hell out of my last stack of hardware synths. I've also plucked various odd freebies or esoteric patch sets from the ether, such as Puremagnetik's quirky offerings. I'm well-covered for anything short of a Buchla. I bought a Roland D-05 to Autosample out of vintage lust, frankly, but if I was honest about any new hard-synth, it'd be Dave Smith's REV2 for its breadth.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• 7 months later...

Boring having to relive the past again and again.

Tired of the software versions now tired of seeing the latest hardware versions.

With the resources these guys have Id love to see Uli just make his own Behringer synth, the Beast.

But Im sure thankful for whats been done already.

Hope this isnt a decades long endeavor, Im on the clock.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

My personal preference, I like the approach of the DM12. Inspired by a classic but a newly developed UI and a modern FX section. But Uli is a numbers guy, I am sure he has done his homework. The market is for affordable remakes of the classics no one can get their hands on. Maybe once hes mastered this they can move on to other things.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm with those want Uli make something uniquely Behringer. I actually like the DM12 interface. Once you make a couple of patches its pretty straight forward. The important things are not in the menus and the modulation routing is quite flexible. I got it when the price went down to $699, and its a lot better than I expected.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Damn straight, enough of these clones.

Its amazing though how cheap they are though.

I use to sacrifice for every dollar to get Oberheims, etc. back in the 80s/90s.

I hung out at Gay Bars because the drinks were free.

That saved a hundred a week right there...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I'm with those want Uli make something uniquely Behringer.

What shall that "uniquely Behringer" be ?

Perhaps a ringmodulator,- the "B-Ringer" ?

I think it´s hard designing an all new and unique synth today.

Almost everything, necessary for musically useful results, already exists.

All you can do is shuffling, combining, arranging synth modules in a different way by different and/or more complex routings and/or improving/changing modules´ circuitry for better results from a technical perspective.

And the more complex it becomes, it has to enter digital domain for accuracy and feasibility.

IMO the clones are welcome and might regulate insane used vintage gear prices.

Collectors will still pay for that gear, that´s o.k..

But not most of the real musicians out there.

A.C.