Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Possibly the 200UKP price tag? :) Though my NS2 bag was VERY well made. The only other problem I had with the Nord case was its stand-out colour with a very prominent Nord logo, which I felt always made it slightly more of a target for those of a light-fingered persuasion (and I'm not talking waterfall keybeds)...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The bag for the C1 by Nord is too heavy. I don't recommend it at all. With the same money, you can even have a custom made gig bag from Colorado Company. Or I would order the SK2 gig bag from Hammond USA. It's 15kg, so I don't think it's that practical to use a bag with rollers because it gets so much heavier...

Or maybe you can find some other gig bags. That works as well.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

Regarding the FOLDBACK-HIGH parameter: Just when I thought I finally grocked the whole concept of foldback, along comes this parameter - adjustable from G4-C5. Why does it exist? And why does it default to 4G on every patch I've checked? I thought foldback only affected the top and bottom octaves - top being C5 to C6 on the keyboard. Am I just wrong? Shouldn't this parameter be set to C5? Why would it be set to anything else? Somebody smart please 'splain it to me -

S-L-O-W-Y.....

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Thanks. It helped me see how little I really understood foldback. And I'm more confused than ever about this parameter - which, according to the manual, "Sets the key from which the 1' Drawbar folds back (=repeat the same octave on the higher octaves). If I understand the article (a BIG IF), the foldback actually starts on different pitches for each of the top five harmonics, so why this variable starting pitch for the 1'? And which is correct? the default, G4 or what logic would seem to dictate (at least to me) C5? I'm not trying to deliberately be obtuse, but for some reason, with foldback, it just comes naturally. I'd like to set it "correctly" and the difference it makes in the sound of the upper octave and a half is huge.

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

hey folks, weeks ago some users were talking about the center point stereo spacestation, I'm planning to buy a keyboard amp and it interests me, however is seems so small, I usually play hard rock zeppelin and deep purple-like, I imagine the high distorted guitars and loud drums covering all the keyboard sound, isn't it like that? I mean, I would like it to compete at least with an marshall mg50 up to 10

My other option is to buy Behringer Ultratone K3000FX, I've read very good reviews of it and its price and power is very very convincing

What do you think?

Hi, you will need to sit at the organ for a bit to experiment with most of the adjustable parameters on the sk2. As for the low foldback, it defaults to repeating the lower octave just like a vintage organ, as does the high foldback. You can change the octave set points for both low and high; if you like what you hear just let it be. I do not know what amps or Leslie you may be using. If you change the low f/b point to 1c you will get a very deep bass tone that does not repeat from 2c down to 1c. Try it out and see what it sounds like. The high end f/b has a much more dramatic change at least to my old ears. 4G is more in the ballpark to me, with 5C being a little to much in your face again depending on your amplification, eq settings, crossover points... I changed my settings and depending on the amps or room acoustics it can be fine, but I have gone back to using the factory default settings. The 5C cuts just a little too high for my liking so I compensated by tweaking the EQ parameters in the menu and sometimes adjust the stand alone eq knobs on the fly. No right or wrong here, just find that pleasing sound you want. Good luck, Joe.

Yeah, sitting around experimenting with the parameters is how I got myself into this mess. ;) I just got this advice on another forum. If true, it at least explains why the default is G4.

"Rule: the highest tonewheel is always an F#. The next higher note will have that note (= the corresponding drawbar) drop to a G an octave below. So F# is the correct vintage Hammond sound."

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

>>hey folks, weeks ago some users were talking about the center point stereo spacestation, I'm planning to buy a keyboard amp and it interests me, however is seems so small, I usually play hard rock zeppelin and deep purple-like, I imagine the high distorted guitars and loud drums covering all the keyboard sound, isn't it like that? I mean, I would like it to compete at least with an marshall mg50 up to 10 <<

You won't have any trouble keeping up with the Marshall MG50 but nothing much above that one. If you add a bass cabinet (I use a Gallien-Krueger MB112 - 200w and only 30 lbs) you can crank it higher because the spacestation doesn't need to handle all the bottom and bottom, not being directional, doesn't suffer from not going through the Spacestation; if I REALLY need crank it up, I also add a K-8 sitting right on top of the SS3. The output from the SS3 is full range, so I set the K8 to handle primarily the top-top, let the SS3 handle the middle (the leslie sound is unbelievable from it) and the G-K handles the bottom. I find this is enough power for anything short of an outdoor concert, but I play blues, so if you're playing hard rock with a couple of guitar players in the group, your mileage may vary....

Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....

And which is correct? the default, G4 or what logic would seem to dictate (at least to me) C5? I'm not trying to deliberately be obtuse, but for some reason, with foldback, it just comes naturally. I'd like to set it "correctly" and the difference it makes in the sound of the upper octave and a half is huge.

When I change the upper foldback point on my SK2 I hear no difference in where on the keyboard the1' drawbar drops out. Does this change have to be recorded to a preset in order to hear it? The manual also claims that you can set the foldback points of a couple of the other high drawbars but I'll be darned if I've been able to find out how. Can someone enlighten me?

>>hey folks, weeks ago some users were talking about the center point stereo spacestation, I'm planning to buy a keyboard amp and it interests me, however is seems so small, I usually play hard rock zeppelin and deep purple-like, I imagine the high distorted guitars and loud drums covering all the keyboard sound, isn't it like that? I mean, I would like it to compete at least with an marshall mg50 up to 10 <<

You won't have any trouble keeping up with the Marshall MG50 but nothing much above that one. If you add a bass cabinet (I use a Gallien-Krueger MB112 - 200w and only 30 lbs) you can crank it higher because the spacestation doesn't need to handle all the bottom and bottom, not being directional, doesn't suffer from not going through the Spacestation; if I REALLY need crank it up, I also add a K-8 sitting right on top of the SS3. The output from the SS3 is full range, so I set the K8 to handle primarily the top-top, let the SS3 handle the middle (the leslie sound is unbelievable from it) and the G-K handles the bottom. I find this is enough power for anything short of an outdoor concert, but I play blues, so if you're playing hard rock with a couple of guitar players in the group, your mileage may vary....

Thanks Elliot, that's interesting

I usually play in gigs with 150 people, do you think it will have enough power for that?

Besides that, I play the bass lines too in many bands (The doors and soulive style), do you think theSpacestation has what it needs to play very loud bass lines with mid and high semidistorted hammond sounds?

hey folks, weeks ago some users were talking about the center point stereo spacestation, I'm planning to buy a keyboard amp and it interests me, however is seems so small, I usually play hard rock zeppelin and deep purple-like, I imagine the high distorted guitars and loud drums covering all the keyboard sound, isn't it like that? I mean, I would like it to compete at least with an marshall mg50 up to 10

My other option is to buy Behringer Ultratone K3000FX, I've read very good reviews of it and its price and power is very very convincing

What do you think?

Don't buy the Behringer! Had one a couple of years back. wouldn't recommend tehm at all. For rock groups when I'm not using a rotary I use a Peavey KB5

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Yeah, once again the old dollars=pounds ripoff is in full force this side of the pond, Tony. Same bag here about 120UKP.

Two points here - if you really desperately want on in the UK, import one from a friendly seller in the US - done that lots of times.

Personally I wouldn't buy a bag at that price anyway because of the low protection, get a flightcase - it's still light!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

And which is correct? the default, G4 or what logic would seem to dictate (at least to me) C5? I'm not trying to deliberately be obtuse, but for some reason, with foldback, it just comes naturally. I'd like to set it "correctly" and the difference it makes in the sound of the upper octave and a half is huge.

When I change the upper foldback point on my SK2 I hear no difference in where on the keyboard the1' drawbar drops out. Does this change have to be recorded to a preset in order to hear it? The manual also claims that you can set the foldback points of a couple of the other high drawbars but I'll be darned if I've been able to find out how. Can someone enlighten me?

You can't really turn foldback off you can just change the note at which it starts. Turning it off would produce silence at the point where frequencies run out - similar to the spinets like the M3. If you set it at 4G and pull out just the 1' drawbar you will hear the 2nd G from the right end of the keyboard play the same frequency as the 3rd G from the right. The first G from the right will also play that same frequency. Each note in the octave from the 3rd G from the right to the 2nd F# from the right will repeat the frequencies from the octave below that. And again in the next octave higher. The note in the foldback section indicates the foldback is possible for the other drawbars. This is a little misleading in that it seems to imply it can also be turned off. It can't. If you push the 1' drawbar in and pull the 2' drawbar out the foldback frequencies are still the same just bumped up an octave on the keyboard. The black drawbars are also folded back corresponding to the frequencies they produce.

Maybe being able to set foldback at 5C will sound better to some in that the frequency is jumping down an octave at the start of the octave and not in the middle. However with it set there those last few notes before the foldback are hard to hear.

Foldback is a patch parameter so if you want it different from the default you will have to change/save it in each patch.

Thanks JMcS! Thats as clear an explanation of foldback as Ive ever read. Thanks also to Jim Alfredson and jpgxk3. (and to Christian Schoenberger on the Yahoo Hammond XK-3 forum) I do think I finally get it. My final take-away on the parameter is: the default G4 is the proper setting for me, as it mimics a vintage B-3 and thats what Im after. Other settings could be useful to those less concerned with authenticity, opting instead to create their own unique Hammond sound.

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

150 people is about the coverage I play to as well, the volume is fine, but again, I'm playing blues and you're playing rock...

As to LH bass, I don't put it through the SS3 at all - when I have to do that, I roll it straight through to the bass cabinet directly. Not sure anything under a 12" is going to get you the bass cut you need. Note that G-K also makes a lightweight 15" cabinet, so if you do a lot of LH bass gigs, that might work better for you than my MB112

Legend Live, SK-1, Leslie 2101, Spacestation v3, MX-49, and a ton of tube preamps....

As stated in another thread, I just got my SK2. So far I love it. Minor tweaks needed, specifically disabling the damper for the organ section, and disabling the expression for the extra voices.

What I was wondering is since it is brand new, do I need to update the system?

Current versions....

Main - 1.619

Sub - 1.025

Information - 1.012

DSP - 1.009

Boot - 1.008

Preset - 1.206

Panel - 1.100

A.Piano1 - 1.400

A.Piano2 - 1.100

E.Piano - 1.200

KYBD - 1.100

Wind - 1.100

Other - 1.100

VXJ - 1.100

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Yours has version 8.3 (Main 1.619) installed. There is a slightly newer version - 8.4 (Main 1.621). You probably don't need to do the update but might as well for practice. If you will be saving setups, loading libraries etc. you will need a USB drive anyway so you might as well get one, make sure it is compatible and install the update all at once.

Here is the readme for the version 8 updates:

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.4

Jul 02, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1621.sys

Updated Areas:

- In Tonewheel organ,improved the problem of errors in writing to sound engine by the value of the attack / release parameters.

- When Default-Global has run,it improved the problem of errors in writing to Percussion internal parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.3

Apr 16, 2014

Updated Files:

- mainV1619.sys

- DSPV1009.sys

Updated Areas:

-To improve the level of LINE output.

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.2

Feb 14, 2014

Updated Files:

- subV1025.sys

Updated Areas:

-In the USB Flash drive which has been read can improve symptoms became unreadable.

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8.1

Jan 28, 2014

Updated Files:

- mainV1614.sys

Updated Areas:

-About Pedal Note,at the sustain is running,improve the channel exclusive control.

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8

Feb 13, 2014

Updated Files:

- mainV1613.sys

- subV1024.sys

- sloadV1008.sys

- DSPV1008.sys

- presetV1206.sys

- presetV1207.sys

- LibAPianoPreLoad1400.sys

- LibEPianoPreLoad1200.sys

Updated Areas:

- A new parameter has been added to the Vibrato/Chorus menu entitled "MIX". This control allows the balance of Chorus/Vibrato and direct (or unaffected) sound. As Vintage mechanical Hammonds have aged, their "scanner's" effect has weakened. This has created a very distinctive characteristic much desired by Vintage Hammond aficionados. At the same time. In some Vintage Hammonds, the aging of the "scanner" has produced the exact opposite, a highly effected sound-also desired. Our Normal setting (which is what the factory tolerance was on the Original B-3) is 11V. As you rotate the value control COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (the "V" value diminishes, through "EVEN" and after that, "D" value Rises) the CHORUS sound will diminish. We recommend [D10] as a good starting point in recreating a Vintage Mechanical Hammond. As you rotate the value control CLOCKWISE, the Vibrato element deepens.

- A new parameter "VOLUME" has been added in the Drawbar - Foldback page. It controls the entire volume of the organ section at each patch. This allows better balance with the Extra Voice section.

- A new sounding mode "LAST" has been added in the Drawbar - Pedal - Mode page. It sounds last note when 2 or more keys are pressed.

- New functions "PROCHORD Open / Close" has been added in the Foot Switch "Tip". Prochord is now available for the Organ section. There are two voicings "Open Harmony" and "Closed Harmony". When the foot switch is depressed, the Prochord effect takes is applied.

- Added the new instrument "Stereo GP Pad3" in the [A.PIANO]. This is "Piano and Synth Strings".

- Added the new instrument "E.Piano FM Belly" in the [E.PIANO]. This is an "FM" Electronic Piano with pronounced "Bell" voicing.

- The message "Completed" is displayed when the Voice library or Whole file has loaded.

- The volume control of the music player has made smoother.

- Added the function that load and save a Custom Tonewheel individually.

- You may now save and load the Custom Tonewheel settings you create, or load Custom Tonewheel settings from others. There will also soon be Custom Tonewheel settings from Hammond Artists available from our website.

- Improved USB compatibility.

Running into a bit of a problem with the USB. I did a search, and didn't see this listed

I took a 16GB SanDisk thumb drive and formatted it on the SK2. Problem is, my laptop does not see it. I'm running Win 8.1 64-bit.

Any Suggestions?

Willie Dixon

I was able to look at the disk management on my PC. I saw the drive, listed as Unallocated. It seemed to format in the SK with no problem.

I do have an old 256 MB drive that I can try.

I have USB 1 & 2 ports on my laptop

UPDATE: The 256 MB drive worked correctly. Now, what is the difference between a .sys, a .whl, & a .set

I downloaded all the files available from HammondOrganCo.com, and went through the read me files. I found 3 that I want to load in right away, and they had different extensions.

The only one that loaded as a library was the .sys file. What are the other extensions for?

Yes, I AM reading the manual

Willie Dixon