Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using someone else's gear to deflate GAS

Aidan

Although I'm liking my PX5/SK1 combo for most of my regular gigs, I did wonder whether it might be worth swapping out the Hammond on some gigs I do for something with a slightly wider sound palette but which was still organ-centric. Cue a bunch of thread-reading and video-watching on the Roland VR-09.

As we all know, it's not a hugely expensive keyboard, so I was within an ace of ordering one, when I remembered that my friend and fellow keys player, George Glover, had told me he'd bought one as a potential replacement for his ageing VR-700. He told me at the time he'd liked the sound but wasn't sure about the keybed.

I gave George a call to check whether he still had the VR-09. Yup never gigged with it, though. Anyway, as luck would have it, he's off to Germany for a short tour with Climax Blues Band and offered to lend it to me while he was away (I'd previously lent him my SK1 for a few gigs so he was happy to return the favour).

So, I collected the Roland on Sunday and it's been on a stand in the studio ever since. And...er...pass. I thought the keybed might be the deal-breaker for me but actually it was the quality of a lot of the other sounds which disappointed. Just very mediocre sounding. I liked the instant accessibility of the controls, but very frustrated by how, as others have found, they seem to go from 0 to 10 in about a quarter of a turn. And the organ...nah.

I decided that if I was going to swop the Hammond out occasionally for more 'function band'-style gigs, I'd be equally as miserable with the organ sounds in my MOXF6 and much happier with whatever else it can provide. And of course, I already own the Yamaha.

The SK1 isn't a fair comparison, I know, but it's nearly as light, the organs (99% of this tier's usage) are over the horizon from the Roland, and it's actually more compact. And again, I already own that board.

So, it's grateful thanks to George (who is a top bloke, let me add), and GAS successfully alleviated without spending a penny. I did think about gigging the VR a couple of times but tomorrow it will go safe back into its box to await its master's return.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got Craig all wrong...he'd most likely agree that Roland's organ pales in comparison to the SK1. As for the other preset sounds, it may be best to consider them starting points for further tweaking that can be saved to registrations.

I've only briefly dinked around with a MOXF but also concur that the pianos and synths shine nicely right out of the box.

Recently I've had a similar experience at a local jam to play an SK1 which helped to quell my desire for better Hammond tones. Even with the SK having a more authentic sound, the VR just gels better with my current projects.

Sometimes getting to a shop with a proper showroom does it for me. Getting my hands on a sexy board for a while and realising it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped, not the holy grail. I can avoid having to order it, play it, get an RA number and waste my dough on shipping to send it back. The brick and mortar shops are dead, long live the brick and mortar shops!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That's why I shop almost exclusively at GC. It's close by and those times that I'm cash happy I can try gear out for 30 days, no return shipping. The caveat however is it must be in perfect condition when I return it. I've inadvertently bought gear that I would have returned except I had caused a blemish! In any case the same would be true of any return, at least with a local store there's no return shipping cost. And GC now has a 45 day return policy!

The board I have GAS for is the PX 560. It seems like the board I've always wanted: good sequencer, good built in speakers, great keybed, very versatile and easy to use, low price, light weight, etc. hopefully I'll be flush enough when it comes out to get a 'loaner' from GC so I can see if it's really the board for me.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Right on. The PX560 is on my list at the moment to. Waiting for it to show up local so I can try that B out. Although, with the new touch screen interface and the the way Casio has been checking off stuff on their users' wish lists, it makes me feel like the 5S's replacement is going to be the 560 and then some. I'm not typically one to procrastinate when I "need" a board or a feature, waiting forever for the next best thing. But since I'm not in a "need" mode at the moment, I can take my sweet time trying stuff out.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This. Except me, and a PC3LE. I thought I might tolerate the keybed and the piano couldn't be that bad.

I couldn't and it was. I was quite relieved when I didn't like it, as it left me open to getting a Nord, which I like, although it's not perfect.

Funnily enough I quite liked the VR09!

Cheers Mike

Aidan,

Thanks for your rig update/review of the VR-09. Your acquisition of the PX5S occurred within a day or two of mine. I was/am looking to develop a light-weight rig to use for rehearsals or wedding receptions. Basically I'd like to put something together I can transport in my car instead of the SUV. Like you, the next keyboard I was considering for that rig was a VR-09 so your post was most informative, especially since none can be found around here within a reasonable driving distance. So I will use your deflated GAS to deflate my GAS. I'm now thinking about a MOX6. Thanks again! :thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yep, laying hands on a potential piece of gear by any means necessary is an excellent way to resolve GAS.

The real issue is when laying hands on that piece of gear makes the GAS worse. :D

Aidan, glad you were able to scratch that one off your list without an RA # and/or trip back to the music store. :wave::laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just recently got a good deal on a used VR-09, had been looking for one for months, have been spending what little spare time I can muster to learning my way around it. I was thinking it would be primarily good for things like certain rehearsals or jam sessions, giving me something really lightweight I can bring and leave my main rig still set up at home if I want, or as my "top" keyboard at some gigs in place of my Fantom X-7, if it's a gig that calls for a lot of organ (I like the organ sounds on the VR-09 better, I think, than those on the Ferrofish B4000+ I have velcroed to to the top of my Fantom), and need some general-purpose sounds or splits I can get to quickly without the need for the more complicated multi-timbral setups and custom sample playbacks I use the Fantom for (the bottom board would still be my MOXF8). Or maybe if I do need those set-ups and samples but don't necessarily need the 88/weighted functionality and bigger, higher-end sound set of my MOXF, I can use the Fantom on the bottom and the VR-09 on top in some situations. I really like the VR-09's clonewheel sound and the very easy intuitive way you can change and tweak sounds on the fly with the performance controls, and set up two-sound splits and layers really quickly; and I do like the quality of many of the on-board sounds at least for getting quick access to basic bread-and-butter patches.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

something with a slightly wider sound palette but which was still organ-centric.

Korg Z1

It's why I still use mine. It's not a ROMpler with some organ sounds. It's not a dedicated clonewheel with some synth sounds. It's a physical modeling machine with a full-fledged organ modeling engine, a full-fledged EP modeling engine, a full-fledged bowed-string modeling engine, a full-fledged woodwind modeling engine, a full-fledged VA and FM modeling engine.... etc. etc. etc.

I need good organs, and I also need the VA and woodwind engines too. Otherwise I'd have gotten a dedicated clonewheel by now.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Korg Z1. It's why I still use mine. It's not a ROMpler with some organ sounds. It's not a dedicated clonewheel with some synth sounds. It's a physical modeling machine with a full-fledged organ modeling engine, a full-fledged EP modeling engine, a full-fledged bowed-string modeling engine, a full-fledged woodwind modeling engine, a full-fledged VA and FM modeling engine.... etc. etc. etc.

I never knew it modelled organs! So I had to Svengle, and I found this:

[video:youtube]

Help me understand what's happening here: the guy's playing C major, but it's sounding C minor. Is there some note remapping/retuning going on?

Cheers, Mike

Aidan,

Thanks for your rig update/review of the VR-09. Your acquisition of the PX5S occurred within a day or two of mine. I was/am looking to develop a light-weight rig to use for rehearsals or wedding receptions. Basically I'd like to put something together I can transport in my car instead of the SUV. Like you, the next keyboard I was considering for that rig was a VR-09 so your post was most informative, especially since none can be found around here within a reasonable driving distance. So I will use your deflated GAS to deflate my GAS. I'm now thinking about a MOX6. Thanks again! :thu:

I would not presume to comment on whether or not you would like the feel of the VR - some people do, some don't. (It is fine for me, but as it is the only clonewheel I have owned, I can hardly be considered a discerning customer....) Soundwise, I find the PX-5s & VR-09 combination to be an extremely good one. The two keyboards work really well together and I am delighted with them. (....but again I freely admit that I am no expert on organ sounds.....)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Aidan's OP about borrowing somebody else's gear to alleviate GAS rings true to me. I remember when the Line 6 modeling guitar amps first came out, and I got that GAS out of my system by borrowing another guy's amp for two weeks and then reverting to my trusty old tube amp.

But the OP reminds me of a somewhat related phenomenon, kind of quelling GAS in reverse. Has anyone else found that it is easier to part with gear by selling it to friends whom you tell yourself will hold onto it and possibly sell it back to you one day? Once upon a time I had a Wurlie 206 that I had a hard time letting go of, even though I didn't have room for it and it had some electrical and mechanical issues. I sold it to a buddy, telling myself I could buy it back if I changed my mind (even though my buddy didn't know that was my plan!). Getting it out of my house in that fashion allowed me to detach emotionally from it, and ever since then, I've thought I made the right decision.

Why not the PC361 for a wider palette using a Vent with KB3? What about the Hammond with a Motif rack? the rack would provide you the wider sound palette and could all be done with only having to carry one board.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I know what you mean!

I recently got to finally try out an SK1. I thought the Hammond sound was great out of the gate (without the tweaking I've had to do with my NS2/Vent), but the other sounds paled in comparison, the keybed felt like a toy, and the top panel was like operating a '78 Chrysler.

GAS dissipated!

Here for the gear.

Although I'm liking my PX5/SK1 combo for most of my regular gigs, I did wonder whether it might be worth swapping out the Hammond on some gigs I do for something with a slightly wider sound palette but which was still organ-centric.

Like Aidan's GAS attack, I've been thinking about trying to expand on the SK1 without giving up its organs - so, I'm wondering about a USB midi out of the SK1 into an iPad Mini2 for additional patches, and running the iPad's stereo output through an Ernie Ball stereo pedal and then into my mixer for control of presence/absence/expression of the extra voices, perhaps even utilize them as an additional layer from time to time.

I'm hoping it will result in cheap GAS relief.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

I have an SK-1....my friend has a VR-09. Having played them both IMHO the Hammond far outshines the VR, especially in the organ/leslie sounds....as would be expected in a board that retails new for around $1900 as opposed to a board selling new for around $1000 less. I think the VR is a great value for what it is...if you are on a low budget it is the way to go.

The VK-09 did tempt me at one time too. Finally found one out in Colorado that I was able to spend some time with. Still on the fence about that one though - mixed feelings about the sound overall. Tried my Alexis Vortex on the 2nd tier - with various combis of iPad, Virus Snow Ti, and MacBook, but that was too much juggling/fiddling around; a simple, lightweight, plug 'n play with a killer vintage sound is more of where I think I'm headed. Was thinking Sledge 2 (could always Midi In to a Setup channel on my Kurz for extra clonewheel support), but then something else caught my ears... Hey, anyone have a KingKorg I can test my GAS on for a couple o' weeks ? :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Well, after tonight's gig, I'm thinking of giving the VR at least a run out on my Sunday engagement.

Both these gigs are with this funk-based function band, playing all the usual suspects, so besides organ, I really need decent brass, strings and synth sounds. So, tonight, I swapped out the SK1 for the MOXF. I have to say, the Yamaha was a disappointment the organs are really thin and weak, and of course almost impossible to manipulate in real time during the heat of battle. The VR is unspectacular in many ways, but I couldn't help thinking it would have made an overall better fist of the entire two sets, in conjunction with my PX-5S, of course. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and will report back.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Hey, anyone have a KingKorg I can test my GAS on for a couple o' weeks ? :D

give Corey Henry a ring and see if you can borrow his :D

:laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hey, anyone have a KingKorg I can test my GAS on for a couple o' weeks ? :D

give Corey Henry a ring and see if you can borrow his :D

:laugh:

I hope to see him tomorrow, so I could ask. (Snarky show tomorrow!)

Rudy

Archived