Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: So, How Did We Evolve to Start Every Sentence with So?

wd8dky

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I blame Ezra Klein.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Instead of starting OT threads with "OT" you mean?

:cop:;)

There are a few articles about this "so" use subject, but they are a bit hard to search for.

here's one

and another

and the one I was looking for

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I typically don't, but when I do, it suggests that there is a long back story that I am skipping, and beginning at a point that is a result of the backstory, which would generally be understood by the forum.

Backstory:

I have been playing in cover bands for a number of years. I started with a Korg polysix and Casio cz101, but quickly needed a keyboard that could reproduce sounds like pianos. My next purchase was a Roland jv30 which did well when paired with the polysix. I really cut my teeth on the polysix and learned how to get a lot of sounds out of it.

Most recently I have been using the Kronos, which has a polysix engine inside.

Begin thread:

So, I was messing with the polysix engine in the Kronos, and.......

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

...both verbally and lately, in written form. Is this taught in schools now as proper grammar?

it was the natural progression from starting every sentence with " I mean,,,, etc "

Before that, every sentence started with " You know ...etc"

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've heard it said that "basically" is just a fancy way to say "duuuh."

But I shall revise that as follows: "So" is the equivalent of a start bit in a serial protocol. Lets the listener know there's a train coming. And "umm," "uh," "basically," and "essentially" all mean "buffering"

I've heard it said that "basically" is just a fancy way to say "duuuh."

But I shall revise that as follows: "So" is the equivalent of a start bit in a serial protocol. Lets the listener know there's a train coming. And "umm," "uh," "basically," and "essentially" all mean "buffering"

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Aspiring grammar police should read this:

http://grammarist.com/grammar/conjunctions-to-start-sentences/

Now, despite it being technically acceptable to start a sentence with "so" the impression you give when using it depends on context. "So what's up?" is informal. "The dogs have found the fox. So the hunt is on." is not informal. This being a decidedly informal forum, I think you can use it here any way you want.

I think it's fine to start a sentence with "so" in a casual conversation. People play loose with grammar and use slang all the time in that setting.

Where the use bothers me is during news interviews in which the reporter or guest leads each answer to the anchor's questions with, "So..."

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I think it's fine to start a sentence with "so" in a casual conversation. People play loose with grammar and use slang all the time in that setting.

Where the use bothers me is during news interviews in which the reporter or guest leads each answer to the anchor's questions with, "So..."

Best,

Geoff

I don't know why this is, but the people they interview on NPR seem to be the worst. Although I think "so" in that context implies "that was a poorly formed question so I'm first going to provide some background you should have researched before formulating these questions, after which I will modify your question to my liking, then answer the question I wanted you to ask".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know why this is, but the people they interview on NPR seem to be the worst. Although I think "so" in that context implies "that was a poorly formed question so I'm first going to provide some background you should have researched before formulating these questions, after which I will modify your question to my liking, then answer the question I wanted you to ask".

LOL! :D

Agreed, NPR is one of the worst offenders in the "so" blight afflicting our language.

Best,

Geoff

So....Basically this is what happens when GAS drops off here. Definitely a lack of being able to discuss a new, ginormous workstation on steroids. A teachable moment. Epic, even.

Could be a blessing in disguise though; an aha-moment in the making: Alternately, time to hit the man cave, and once again build my skill-set to facilitate the fan-base. "I'm going to win the future by kicking the can down the road", said no one ever.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Like, is this a new thing? I'm totally behind.

Not exactly. One of the examples in the link I provided is by Virginia Woolf.

The OP was bored, I guess. :D

:idk Sounds kinda tame. When I'm bored I buy gear, or quit the band.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Even worse to my ear is when people end the sentence with 'so....' They're not ready to relinquish the floor, but they haven't thought of a next thought yet. At some point, they realize they never will. So they leave the so dangling like geriatric tits during a push-up.

"I saw a great concert last week. Funk and jazz. All unknown artists. Really cool stuff. So..." [Pause...pause continues...finally, pause becomes permanent]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Like, is this a new thing? I'm totally behind.

Not exactly. One of the examples in the link I provided is by Virginia Woolf.

The OP was bored, I guess. :D

It's not a new thing, but I'd certainly say it's trendingmuch like the word "awesome" albeit to a lesser extent.

Best,

Geoff

So, I dunno.....howevah, like since when does the word "like" need to be, like, used in every sentence multiple times?

So, I'm cool like with what you're sayin'.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived