Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aidan goes to prison

Aidan

I can't match the glamour of Steve's latest gig, but I have landed a rather interesting (and paid!) project - I've been invited to form and train a choir at a prison a few miles down the road from me. It's a "Category B" joint, one notch down from maximum security.

The only thing close to a piano they have is a Casio WK1300 keyboard, which will just about do for what I need (I'm not allowed to bring gear in anyway) but it doesn't have a sustain pedal. Are all Casios on the same polarity? The keyboard has a jack input marked Assignable Footswitch.

I had a tour of the place last week and today went along to the governor's weekly meeting with prisoners' representatives to pitch the idea. It was really well received and I'm told around 30 of the men have already expressed an interested - insert captive audience joke here.

I'm now waiting for security clearance but should start in a couple of weeks' time - I believe I will even have my own set of keys! The door type, that is :)

I seem to becoming a kind of accidental community choirmaster. I recently started working with a pensioners choir, too. Personally, I think the jail choir will be a walk in the park by comparison!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I think the jail choir will be a walk in the park by comparison!

Supervised I trust? ;)

I think you should immediately begin composing that Johnny Cash operetta you've always dreampt about, "Because You're Mine, I Drop The Soap"

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Yeah, supervised thank the Lord. In fact, the governor wants it to be open to the warders and apparently a couple of them have already expressed an interest in joining.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

"I Fought the Law (and the Law Won)"

I can see where this thread is going.

Good for you, Aidan. I hope you can do a little good for these guys.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

That sounds really interesting Aidan. I have been looking into working as a community musician as part of my course. Maybe look at Musicleader.net which is very interesting.

Also, watch someone doesn't steal the sustain pedal and fashions it into a knife.

A copier technician at a dealer I used to visit was servicing a machine in the Joliet Illinois prison library when a fight broke out. He realized he was between a bunch of guys who probably were never going to walk out the front gate and a box of weapons. He said he had never been so scared in his life.

Good for you, Aidan! There was a recent feature in the local paper about piano lessons in the local woman's penitentiary. There's a long waiting list. It really seemed to enrich the teacher's life and help the inmates get their life back on track. Music can be the kind of emotional and self-esteem boost needed to turn a life around.

I'm skimming this thread, and could have sworn I saw something about all Casios being born evil and deserving of their sentence?

(Hi Mike Martin! :wave: )

Seriously, sounds like a good gig, Aidan. Hopefully you can have a positive effect on some lives. Besides, we musicians are just a step above convicts anyway, right? At least, drummers are I guess.

:rimshot:

Enjoy the strip search! ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Aidan

A very interesting experience. But kind of sad. I once played in a prison for adults and it was really depressing playing in there. Especially when leaving the place and seeing those youngsters stay behind those iron bars...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Just make sure you have your back to the wall when you're putting the sustain pedal on the floor....

:D:D:D:D:D.....

Seriously though Aidan, this is a good thing you're undertaking.

Probably at least some of these guys are there for 'misguided' reasons,

& people like yourself who are trying to help bring out the best in them is a credit to you.

I wish you the very best of luck.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I had an interesting gig once: The rock band I was out with had the opportunity to play a womens prison in the midwest. Fun gig, and great audience. As it was a minimum security facility, we were able to talk to the inmates briefly between sets. It was a polite, and very appreciative group.

Sounds like positive gig, Aidan. I've always enjoyed working with choral groups; it's great to see a new group come together and develop a repertoire of material. I wish you the best with it. Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

It's not Stoke Heath is it? Both times I went to see friends in there the sniffer dog sat down next to me when getting checked in. That meant a little trip into a closed room to drop my keks and shake... Just as well they never checked the car.

From the subject, I thought maybe you locked yourself in the hobbit house.

Seriously though, let us know how it goes. You should be proud to be contributing in such a commendable way. It speaks volumes to your character!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Great thing your doing. Dont mean to get all angelic and such but by working for people who really need it, your life and mind is going to change in a very positive way. I say this as this is my tenth year on nursing home tour!! ;-) Cover Green Green Grass Of Home with them...They'll love you forever..
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Archived