Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Really OT: Cataract surgery/lens replacement

Does anyone have experience with lens replacement for cataracts, specifically the multifocal lens? I was recently diagnosed with cataracts and met today with the surgeon. He was careful not to over-promise, which was appreciated. The back story is my wife really wants hers done and our good insurance runs out at the end of July. This is the time to get stuff done and the cataracts won't go away on their own.

Thanks

• Love 1

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I had it done in one of my eyes, which developed cataract as a side effect of the treatment for retina detachment.

It's natural to assume multifocal IOL is always going to be better than single focus IOL. I sure did. But that was before putting in some time to research and think about it. I ultimately went with single focus. Multifocal IOL is not guaranteed to fix the problem of being able to see clearly at close distance, which for me was a concern because I wanted to be able to fix a flat on my bicycle and do other things that require seeing things close up. I also didn't want to risk unwanted nighttime halo/glare. But... your wife's situation, priorities, etc. may be different.

A past thread in which other forum members shared their experiences:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3043555/1

The Wife & I had ours done a few years ago and now I drive at night and I SEE ALL ! Really wonderful ! I was going blind by my cataracts ( they went black on Me ! ) It takes about a month. She was Far-sighted & I was Near - sighted (to the point of going blind for Me ) - -now all I get for problems are a few floaters in my eyes! I got great vision but I use reading glasses for reading and that's it! Get 'em You love it!

Once the "good insurance" runs out will you have the ability to use insurance with the same medical group using any financial assistance? IOW, aside from 100% out of pocket, will any alternative medical insurance be available which enables you to apply it to the people who performed the procedure?

I had cataract surgery in March 2017. My cataract was first diagnosed in 2009 but by late 2016 my eyesight had gotten considerably cloudy on my right eye. In mid-January 2017, I woke up one morning and could hardly see out of my right eye, just nothing but a white cloud. I was pretty much blind in my right eye for two months.

My cataract surgery lasted 15 minutes, though I was in the outpatient clinic for a total of three hours. The moment I regained sight was one of the trippiest moments in my life.

By all means go for the multifocal lens. It's not covered by insurance but it's worth the $2,500 investment. Focusing on objects far away will feel more natural than if you got the fixed lens.

Yes . Cataract surgery and lens replacement. It takes months as they do one eye at a time so dont wait. It's not fun but it is life changing. At least it was for me. I went from legally blind to being able to drive without glasses if necessary .

FunMachine.

I had it done recently. If you or your wife are over 65 Medicare will cover it 100% - this is the ONLY vision related benefit they offer but they will pay for the exams, the surgeries, the single focus lenses and a will pay for the eye exam needed afterwards and $140 towards new glasses.

Given that I have a rare but mild form of double-diagonal astigmatism and nystagmus, it was considered best for me to chose far vision or close vision for my single focus lenses. They didn't recommend multi-focus lenses and said they are not for everybody yet.

I went with the far vision lenses and kicked in some extra money to get a nice pair of progressive close up glasses with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings. My total out of pocket cost was about $250 for the nice glasses.

I had 20/240 vision more or less in both eyes, not quite legally blind but not far from it. They did one eye the first week and the second eye the next. At first I saw some halos, I still have traces of that but minor.

I am now 20/30 in both eyes, I can identify birds in trees some distance away and drive safely day or night without glasses.

I had incredible, almost microscopic vision up very close before, I no longer have that. I will eventually get a magnifier for some of the guitar tech things I enjoy, like fretwork.

In the meantime, I am not only grateful to not be blind but amazed at what the world looks like. I am still getting used to the reality of periphiral vision, the frames on glasses block that so you stop trying.

As terrifying as the idea of having somebody cut open your eye is, I felt nothing and was done in a few minutes each time. The pain came in the muscles around the eye when the anesthesia wore off, nothing a couple of extra strength ibuprofen can't make bearable.

It really was easy, simple and the results were fantastic.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I had the PanOptix trifocal lenses "installed" last May. The PanOptix were just approved by the FDA in late 2019, so I'm glad I didn't decide to get the surgery earlier. The second eye was done two weeks after the first. There is no question that I would make the exact same choice again. I have a post about my experience/process in the thread @GovernorSilver mentioned.

As of today, I have better than 20/25 vision for both near and distance according to the eye charts I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELV1VJI

I can read the 20/20 line under the right lighting conditions. Like @KuruPrionz mentioned, before the surgery, I felt like I had a super ability to see microscopic detail up close and was worried that I would be bothered by losing it. On a few occasions I used the magnifier feature on my iPhone camera to read some fine print on a medication package, but trading that for not needing glasses for 99.9% of the rest of the time was totally worth it. The only other issue is needing more light to read than I used to, like with a menu at a dimly lit restaurant.

Initially, there was noticeable glare/haloing around street lights and headlights if I focused on them, but nothing that would affect my driving. At this point, I don't notice it at all. I would guess it's a combination of physical (eyes healing), processing (brain working with the signals from the eyes), behavior (not looking directly at the lights), and psychological (getting used to the new normal).

After wearing glasses and contacts for almost 50 years, it's miraculous that this technology exists. At times I still reach to take off my now non-existent glasses before I go to sleep, although not nearly as much as the first few months post-op.

Regarding the decision between mono-focal, dual-focal, trifocal, and/or astigmatism correction, my perspective was that if I was going to have someone cut into my eyes, I wanted the best chance of never needing glasses again and seeing the best I could. I was worried that I would focus on any imperfections, but I haven't in the least. Having the eye charts to quantifiably measure the improvement in acuity was helpful.

Final note, while the trifocal lenses with astigmatism correction were around $5,600 for the pair, there is a company called "Care Credit" that offers a same-as-cash payment plan (if your provider accepts it). The funny thing is that it's run by Synchrony Bank, which is the same bank that administers the same-as-cash program for Sweetwater, Kraft, and maybe others.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I had it done in one of my eyes, which developed cataract as a side effect of the treatment for retina detachment.

Curious about your comment. I had surgery for retina detachment (object impact) 16 years ago, but not aware of risks of developing cataract. Can you elaborate?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Curious about your comment. I had surgery for retina detachment (object impact) 16 years ago, but not aware of risks of developing cataract. Can you elaborate?

Sure. None of options presented to me by the surgeon sounded great, so I went with the one with the 90% success rate, which involves some removal of the vitreous gel and injection of a gas bubble. Cataract is one of the possible complications of this procedure, and that's what happened to me.

I don't remember exactly what my surgeon said, but do remember him mentioning that removal of vitreous gel affects how nutrients get to the lens.

At the time I thought 90% to save reasonably working, though not perfect, vision in my eye was the way to go. One of the options had as a low as 50% success rate, if i recall correctly - so 50% that eye goes blind - no thanks!

I'm quite grateful to have reasonably clear vision in both eyes.

BTW, the single-focus IOL does not mean you have to stand exactly X feet and Y inches away from a sign to read, or else it will be too blurry to read. :laugh: There's more flexibility than people who don't have single-focus might be thinking.

Sure. None of options presented to me by the surgeon sounded great, so I went with the one with the 90% success rate, which involves some removal of the vitreous gel and injection of a gas bubble. Cataract is one of the possible complications of this procedure, and that's what happened to me.

I don't remember exactly what my surgeon said, but do remember him mentioning that removal of vitreous gel affects how nutrients get to the lens.

At the time I thought 90% to save reasonably working, though not perfect, vision in my eye was the way to go. One of the options had as a low as 50% success rate, if i recall correctly - so 50% that eye goes blind - no thanks!

BTW, the single-focus IOL does not mean you have to stand exactly X feet and Y inches away from a sign to read, or else it will be too blurry to read. :laugh: There's more flexibility than people who don't have single-focus might be thinking.

Thanks. I had the exact same procedure (removal of gel / injection of gas bubble). I do yearly eye exams (but skipped end of last year), and will check when i do it this year. Can't believe it's been this long since.

Tough to quantify the success, but I consider it a >99% success. Honestly don't remember the success rate the doctor mentioned, but it was real bad and I trusted the doctor. After the accident, before the surgery the central part of my vision was a blurry mess, the macula was almost torn off (you could see it dangling in the OCT). I was technically blind with that eye.

I don't observe any issues in my sight, unless I consciously look for it (closing one eye and looking at the edge of an object with the operated eye, the edge bulges out slightly and looses focus at the center of my field of vision. Thankfully, for now, it's just a wacky conversational piece I have with people that don't know the story. However, the eye test required here for driver's license is getting difficult, and will see what happens when I have to renew next year.

Thanks again.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks. I had the exact same procedure (removal of gel / injection of gas bubble). I do yearly eye exams (but skipped end of last year), and will check when i do it this year. Can't believe it's been this long since.

Tough to quantify the success, but I consider it a >99% success. Honestly don't remember the success rate the doctor mentioned, but it was real bad and I trusted the doctor. After the accident, before the surgery the central part of my vision was a blurry mess. I was technically blind with that eye.

I don't observe any issues in my sight, unless I consciously look for it (closing one eye and looking at the edge of an object with the operated eye, the edge bulges out slightly and looses focus at the center of my field of vision. Thankfully, for now, it's just a wacky conversational piece I have with people that don't know the story. However, the eye test required here for driver's license is getting difficult, and will see what happens when I have to renew next year.

Thanks again.

No problem.

Regarding success rate, my understanding that when the doctor say Option A had a 90% success rate, B had a 70% success rate, C had 50%, he was talking about actual statistics, as reported in a real medical journal. Like 90% of patients who went under A had their vision saved, and 10% lost vision in the eye... and so on. I'm sure he rounded the numbers for me, because at the time I was freaking out. He knew what he could say right away and what he should hold back until after the patient calmed down. ;)

My operated eye has clear vision in the middle, and some haze in the edge regions. It's because the cataract procedure could result in clouding of the lens capsule. Some time after the initial procedure - forgot if it was 6 months later, a year later, or longer - my cataract surgeon had me come back for the follow up procedure, in which he fired a lazer to shoot a hole in the lens capsule, to eliminate the clouding in the center area. This time, it was in his office, not on the operating table. An apparatus was attached to the eye to prevent blinking, then my head was locked into place so he could fire the lazer. A bit weird, but painless because of the numbing eye drops and whatever other eye drops were administered.

The other thing is if I close my unoperated eye, some straight lines will look a bit crooked in my operated eye, but not enough to bother me. I haven't seen my optometrist for several years now because my cataract surgeon keeps scheduling follow up visits, and then he and his team end up taking my measurements for prescription eyewear too. I don't mind though because I know i'm in good hands with him. At my latest visit last winter, he said the eye is still doing great and no chance in prescription needed.

I do credit my optometrist for discovering the retinal tears and sounding the alarm in the first place. She and her assistant really scrambled and got me an appointment with opthamologists to take a closer look at the retina. I drove straight from her office to the other doctors' office.

After wearing glasses and contacts for almost 50 years, it's miraculous that this technology exists...astigmatism correction.

Tell me about it. :D

Last year, my optometrist told me about cataract surgery/lens replacement. He explained the procedure could eliminate the need for contact lens/glasses.

I almost punched him in the face because I was wondering why he never told me this sh8t a few thousand dollars ago. :laugh:

I guess he felt a left hook coming so he immediately offered up that it's a relatively new thing. Also, if it's elective procedure, medical insurance won't cover it.

Now, I just have to determine the cost-benefit of the buying prescription eyewear versus surgery and the quality of life gain if I ever decide to do it.

I know someone who recently had cataract surgery and it was 100% successful. I would definitely consider using that ophthalmologist.

Amazing times we live in to have access to technology and advanced medical procedures. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Does anyone know whether optometrists stop short of dialing in the best possible prescription forcing people to get cataracts treatment sooner than later?

I only discovered I needed glasses about 18 years ago. I probably needed them sooner but I could pass the DL test and no one recognized and brought things to my attention. It wasn't until I could not pass a test for a job that I learned I needed them.

My first few years of regular exams with optometrists were gratifying in that they seemed to carefully dial in clarity to my satisfaction. This could have been luck getting meticulous optometrists. I did not immediately suspect anything once I was diagnosed with cataracts but after a couple more exams I noticed they seemed to stop short not spending nearly the time they had to get a satisfying clarity. It was something I observed in the amount of time they spent and the number of slides they tried before ending the exam. It was noticeably shorter and the results were noticeably less effective. Of course some degree of this is the advancing of cataracts but that would not account for the shorter amount of time they spent doing the procedure.

I eventually searched for a new place for optometrical exams. I asked the new guy to get it as clear as he could after he indicated he was finished. He might have been sincere or he might have managed to roll with it and not give away his real intent.

I was hanging onto a car as I contemplated trading it in for a new one. I picked up a nail. The tires were Michelins that were so good they just did not wear out they just got old. When I dropped in a convenient tire store to have the slow leak addressed they told me that based on the serial numbers or something they determined the tires were too old for repair and needed to be replaced. Safety and legal liability considered, the tires had a lot of life left in them but they were restricted and prevented from doing a repair. Does a similar scenario exist with cataracts where the optometrist is discouraged from providing the best prescription in order to encourage you to get the cataracts treated sooner?

Currently I have a bigger fish to fry but I know I must address this next year or no later than the year after but it would help if they made the best of my situation by dialing in the best clarity possible when determining my prescription.

From what my optometrist told me, as cataracts progress, they change the shape of the lens, and cloud your vision, so by the time you get your prescription, it is likely to be different than what you need or can change soon after. Prior to my surgery, the prescription in my right eye was terrible within 3 months of getting new prescription lenses. That's when I decided to get the surgery.

I've gone to optometrists that use high-tech gizmos that automatically assess, to those that use the old-school, hands-on equipment (what's better, 1 or 2? 3 or 4? etc.) to determine the correction needed for each eye and always got a great prescription until the cataracts started.

I can't speak to the decreasing amount of time your optometrists spent on you, but unless your optometrist is an eye surgeon, they will not benefit from the cataract surgery. In fact, if the cataract surgery goes well, the revenue opportunity for your optometrist to sell you new glasses year-after-year goes away.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Interesting. I am basing this on the time spent and the result I see at the time of the exam rather than any noticeable difference in the glasses themselves once they are available to me. Aside from trying out that first pair of prescription glasses, the experience of a new pair of glasses with a new prescription has not been profound.

Aside from economic potential in a customer, retaining their license could be incentive motivating an optometrist to steer people towards treatment sooner than later. I once witnessed a man with money in hand being turned away. He had frames and lenses ready but the prescription for the lenses had expired. They were legally prevented from installing those lenses in his frames.

The optometrist did provide a prescription it just was written before I felt he had reached the clearest possible numbers.

I used to think optometrists and opthamologists are the same kind of doctor. I only understood the difference after I went through my experiences with the retina and cataract.

Optometrists are the people you see for normal eye checkups and figure out the prescription for your eyewear. They are not medical doctors.

Opthamologists are the doctors that you get sent to when the optometrist sees something in your eye that makes them go "oh crap!!! We gotta send this patient to a doctor, stat!". These are the people that operate on your eye, if surgery is needed.

My retina surgeon was the only eye care specialist who ever said "Holy crap! You need surgery ASAP!". At that point, he was agreeing with my optometrist and the two other doctors who saw me before he did. The optometrist was the first person that day who said This is an emergency! We need to get you do a doctor.... NOW!!!"

After the retina repair surgery, the surgeon said "You'll probably get a cataract, but let's give it some time - might not happen for another 12-18 months". Some months later I went to see my optometrist and she said, "I'm having trouble seeing into your eye because of the developing cataract. If I can't see into your eye, I can't tell if your retina has a problem again. Here's the contact info for a highly-respected cataract surgeon in the area."

I then went to the cataract surgeon, several months after that. Contrary to popular belief about surgeons, he was not in a rush at all to operate. He wanted to wait for several months, then re-evaluate.

From what my optometrist told me, as cataracts progress, they change the shape of the lens, and cloud your vision, so by the time you get your prescription, it is likely to be different than what you need or can change soon after. .

I was told the same thing by my surgeons, the optician, the optometrist, etc. who saw me.

My vision gradually became cloudy over the past 6-8 months. It got to the point where I couldn't make out detail on the road so I had to stop driving. An eye exam revealed that I have cataracts and doctor recommended that I see a surgeon about lens replacement. He also gave me a prescription for glasses, but he recommended that I not bother filling it because he was optimistic that I could get my normal vision back. I have a consultation with a surgeon on 7/23 (had to wait more than 2 months just to get an appointment), so hopefully I can get my eyes straightened out in the next few months. Prior to this, my vision was perfect well into my 50s.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

My left eye has been blind since I was 5 (an accident). SO, I'm kind of finicky about the only one left. My regular eye doctor diagnosed me with both cataract and glaucoma about 10 years ago. As it progressed, my vision deteriorated (didn't realize just HOW bad until after the operation, I couldn't read the license plate on a car parked just in front of me at a traffic signal). Went through the routine of one kid of expensive eye drops, then a couple of expensive eye drops.

My father had glaucoma. By the time he passed, he had spent about 8 years with a field of vision of about 15 degrees. Literally a pin hole. In 2018, my doctor got me a referral with the best specialist in cataract/glaucoma in the local area. She tried to get me to operate (both operations at the same time, they literally make a "pocket" under the upper eyelid so the fluid pressure can drain). Still didn't move me, still afraid. Finally, she explained in detail that the risk of blindness from the operation statistically was about 1%. OTOH, the risk that the glaucoma would leave me completely blind was well over 25%. OK, that convinced me.

I did research. Medicare pays for the "standard" lens, not the multifocal (which requires laser surgery) and the cost is way up there. She also told me that the lens would not be perfectly calibrated, they come in standard diopters (strength). Even if I went with the super customized individual fitted lens, there were five different methods to calibrate just how much was needed, and none of the algorithms were perfect. Also, with both procedures, it would be several months before things settled down enough for the initial fitting of glasses.

Results: My vision even before the glaucoma was 20/400. Coke bottle glasses back in the day before modern lenses. My vision a week after the operation was 20/70, and I could see a LOT better than before even with just an optical zero lens over the eye. After first fitting, 20/30, second fitting by my regular doctor, now 20/20.

I use two pair of glasses regularly. The first is multi-focal, the second is single focus, set for best result at about 24 to 30 inches (for computer screen). Since the lens doesn't change focal length like the natural one, I always have a magnifier with me (program on the cell phone), and have magnifiers around the home, shop, and vehicles for work.

But, it is GREAT. I didn't realize just how good until I was at the grocery store one day, and could read the itty-bitty printing on the price label, describing what item the price was for.

Go for it.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the report, getting ready to schedule my own procedure.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Thanks, all. Today we met with the surgical coordinator who clarified things we had forgotten. We're both going to do the Panoptix multifocal. The package includes two possible follow-up procedures if needed: the YAG for scar tissue removal at 3-6 months and lasik to tweak the distance vision at 12 months. A doc my wife works with who used this practice for her own surgery felt it was the best way to go.

I appreciate your comments. Can't say I'm not nervous. I spent more time researching 4k tvs.

Thanks

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I had a multifocal implanted in my right eye six years ago. Two years later I had a monofocal mid range torik implanted in my left eye. They work together seamlessly I have 2020 vision everywhere except for the 10 inches up close in front of my eyes which blurs.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 1 year later...

I am resurrecting this old thread to provide an answer to a question I asked earlier. It had appeared I was not experiencing the same quality of evaluation for updated prescriptions as I had when I went the first few times after I began needing prescription eyeglasses. I recall being presented with many options and I could detect subtle differences between them ultimately coming away with sharper vision.

Later they always seemed to do the evaluation much faster and I did not get a chance to try enough options to leave with sharper vision. Cataracts was introduced to the mix and I wondered whether upon discovering I had cataracts they either did not want to waste their time or they had a hidden agenda within the business to encourage people to have their cataracts corrected as soon as possible.

Today I saw a surgeon to gather facts about surgery and the reality of my cataracts status. What the eye surgeon described was that initially you are a void with yet-to-be-determined benchmarks for navigation. They have to start with nothing then gradually hone in on what brings things into focus. That involves more lenses and time. Once there, they have a closer reference from which to start the next time around so it takes less time. I have not left gratified with sharper vision after the last couple of prescription renewals because the cataracts has advanced.

BTW, I learned that at least at this hospital, it only takes 10-20 minutes per eye. They do them both the same day with a 10 minute break in between when everything and everyone is cleared out and freshened up to prevent potential infection from spreading to the other eye. You can drive within a couple of days but you cannot lift more than 15 lbs. or bend over for a week. If all goes normally you are only out of commission for one week.

Cataracts surgery is one of the top four most common surgeries in the USA because "everyone develops it" if they live long enough. You can take comfort in not hearing disastrous tales, considering how many are done. I asked whether anyone had ever jerked or jumped during the procedure. He said you are sedated and they are so close to your face with lights and everything that you do not know when they are moving a knife towards your eye. It is usually over very quickly.

I expected to have cataract surgery last summer. Glasses were going out of focus faster than normal. So I needed a new script an was seen by a different doctor where I go and he said I need the surgery. Had to wait a month for appt with the surgeon who was my regular eye doctor and he said no, just update script. After 7 months I'm getting vertigo and vision is changed again needing another exam. He said surgery carries risk but this is a pain as my glasses replacement cost adds up.

Don't think I'll make it to next scheduled exam in June. Getting old sucks. Dealing with healing shoulder surgery I just had. Good luck.  

As a follow-up, my wife and I both got the Panoptix lenses in July of 2021. She got the YAG procedure to remove scar tissue in one eye. She felt it worsened her vision and told me to hold off. The eye doc said the scarring in my left eye would only get worse and if I waited too long the YAG wouldn't be as effective. I'm on the fence about it. 

That said, with proper light I can read comfortably and my distance vision is 20-20 in one eye and 20-30 in the eye with the scarring. I use a 1.5 reader to see the computer screen (arm's length away) on occasion. I still get halos around lights at night and driving in the rain isn't fun. All-in-all, I'm glad I did it. My wife isn't so sure. 

• Like 1

I'm getting cataract surgery on the right eye tomorrow, the left in two weeks.  At the pre-op I asked a couple of questions:

Q: How long does the surgery take per eye?

A: 5 minutes.

Q: How many does the doc do in a day?

A: 50.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, elif said:

I'm getting cataract surgery on the right eye tomorrow, the left in two weeks.  At the pre-op I asked a couple of questions:

Q: How long does the surgery take per eye?

A: 5 minutes.

Q: How many does the doc do in a day?

A: 50.

How have you been doing with the first eye?

On 1/18/2023 at 8:17 AM, re Pete said:

I expected to have cataract surgery last summer. Glasses were going out of focus faster than normal. So I needed a new script an was seen by a different doctor where I go and he said I need the surgery. Had to wait a month for appt with the surgeon who was my regular eye doctor and he said no, just update script. After 7 months I'm getting vertigo and vision is changed again needing another exam. He said surgery carries risk but this is a pain as my glasses replacement cost adds up.

Don't think I'll make it to next scheduled exam in June. Getting old sucks. Dealing with healing shoulder surgery I just had. Good luck.  

If the people you have seen are just the ones who examine and write prescriptions you need to see an actual opthalmologist / surgeon and preferably not one at the corner eye surgery factory. Up until this exam I had only been seen by the people who write prescriptions for eye glasses. I was first informed of the cataracts three prescriptions back and it has been a different person each time. I was impressed with this opthalmologist / surgeon at the hospital. He was smooth,  thorough, did many things no one does when getting an eye prescription and he articulated the situation well. I have some complications limiting my options. These pose some risk even if I don't have surgery. Having the surgery has risks and having these conditions when you have the surgery has added risks. I now fully understand why things are the way they are.