Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio gives the CT line a bump

There is also one venue I do with a guitarist and the stage footprint is tiny. This S1 should work nicely.

Great thread, gentlemen!

I'm repeating myself but this board is quite an accomplishment. In the midst of our usual fun debates about the relative merits of boards costing thousands of dollars, numerous forum-ites are planning to (and even excited about?) gigging this $199 board!

... numerous forum-ites are planning to (and even excited about?) gigging this $199 board!
*Chuckle* I've had a similar thought. It's amusing. But I'm actually thinking about gigging this board.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

For those planning to gig with this, how do you plan to get its audio out to the PA?

From what I understand, the options are:

1. 1/8" headphone out to 1/8"-1/4" cable or 1/8" to dual RCA Y cable? TS or TRS?

2. Mic the onboard speakers

3. WU-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth adapter to...???

For those planning to gig with this, how do you plan to get its audio out to the PA?

Bluetooth adapter does not do audio OUT of the keyboard. It does wireless MIDI and Audio IN to the CT-S1's built-in speaker system.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Bluetooth adapter does not do audio OUT of the keyboard. It does wireless MIDI and Audio IN to the CT-S1's built-in speaker system.

Thanks, Mike!

Any 1/8" to 1/4" cable should be fine with the headphone out, right, whether it's TS or TRS? Assuming the cable is 25' or less.

Any 1/8" to 1/4" cable should be fine with the headphone out, right, whether it's TS or TRS? Assuming the cable is 25' or less.

Yes. That is all I use.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hi Mike, one of my long time keyboard buddies pre-ordered the CT-S1. He is a big stickler for tone and he LOVES it. I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive. I was curious why Casio decided to go with 1/8" over 1/4"?

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I couldn't get on with the action. The keys width (side to side) is just short enough to make it unfun. Couldn't warm up to it. I also thought the go keys had better action, and way more useable sounds. I didn't get on with it, or the go keys, go piano, junods61, or vr09. Action is important to me. I adjusted easier to the reface keys. Just a little too short throws off my runs. My 15 year old casio has a better playing action. It has some cool things going for it, but no real editing, or connectivity. Make sure you can return if it don't suit you. Currently Nord Electro 4d, and 5d, with lighter springs, and Juno DS88. Just wanted to add my impressions to the lovefest,,,

1. 1/8" headphone out to 1/8"-1/4" cable or 1/8" to dual RCA Y cable? TS or TRS?

This my favorite stereo breakout adapter for 3.5mm. There's something very satisfying about it. Most importantly; no RCA connectors and no awkward/heavy adapter straining the consumer 3.5mm jack.

HOSA Stereo Breakout

3.5 mm TRSF to Dual 1/4 in TS

https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/ymp-434/

YMP-434_Full_RGB_1800-600x400.jpg

In my Tone Set the 60"s Wurlitzer with Tremolo is the weakest in the group, imo. It sort of sounds like a Rhodes. It"s a tone that sounds better with the Surround Off and the Reverb low, IMO.
Each to his own taste. I don't mind the speed. But what I'm most amused by is this level of in-the-weeds evaluation of the speed of the tremolo in the Wurly voice. I'm not being critical â it's what we do, we want to hear the voice exactly the way we want to hear it â but these detailed discussions of the sounds in a $200 board are fine points, given the quality of many of the sounds and the other features of this inexpensive board. I could express my disappointment that the organ doesn't sound like a B3 with rotary speaker on my preferred speed too. It's all good ... until somebody gets butt-hurt. Enjoy your S1. I'm having a lot of fun with mine.

:cheers:

For clarification only, not a critique, the speed of the Vibrato on the Wurlitzer is correct. There is no adjustment of the speed of the vibrato on a Wurlitzer 200. The depth of the vibrato is the adjustment that can be made, from off to deep. "Grapevine" sounded pretty accurate to me on this keyboard, A/B'ing it against my 1960's 200.

First time through the presets I was amazed how accurate the initial organ preset was compared to my Hammond A 100. 8880000 with percussion, leslie speaker in chorale never sounded so good in a $200 keyboard before this one. IMO of course. :cheers:

:nopity:

For clarification only, not a critique, the speed of the Vibrato on the Wurlitzer is correct. There is no adjustment of the speed of the vibrato on a Wurlitzer 200. The depth of the vibrato is the adjustment that can be made, from off to deep. "Grapevine" sounded pretty accurate to me on this keyboard, A/B'ing it against my 1960's 200.

You are correct of course. My first keyboard I bought some 40 years ago was a Wurly 200 but sold it 20 years ago. With emulations (e.g. Nord) I find myself dialing the speed down a bit. But despite my preference Casio did the right thing in maintaining the original speed.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

For clarification only, not a critique, the speed of the Vibrato on the Wurlitzer is correct.

It's actually tremolo effect, which is volume modulation. Vibrato is pitch modulation.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

My preset;

1. Stage Piano

2. Stage E Piano (Rhodes)

3. Phaser E Piano (Rhodes)

4. Dyno E Piano (Rhodes)

5. Vibraphone

6. Mellow Piano

7. Bass/Piano Split

This a great keyboard in terms of sound for simple gigs. The only downside is the cheap action. You can"t use any arm weight as pianists do. This action requires pure finger technique and it"s not very deep, sort of like playing on feathers. If they can somehow upgrade the action in a future model I"ll buy it too.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Jazz+, those are what you've stored in the tone memory slots for each of the 7 buttons, right? I've stored the French accordion to the organ slot, the bass/piano split to the piano slot, and I'm still trying out which Rhodes and Wurly I want to store in the e. piano slots. Probably the wah clav under the keyboard button, the synth choir under the synth button, and the guitar under the other button. But I also want to save strings. Hmm. I have more exploring to do.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Upon further review, the modulation on the 60's EP's are different. The "Amp 60's EP" has a faster modulation than the "Tremelo 60's EP". Maybe they are different models. I was referencing my Model 200, which is similar if not the same as the latter.
:nopity:

Upon further review, the modulation on the 60's EP's are different. The "Amp 60's EP" has a faster modulation than the "Tremelo 60's EP". Maybe they are different models. I was referencing my Model 200, which is similar if not the same as the latter.
I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Amp 60's EP and the Tremolo 60's EP. They're similar but not the same.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Amp 60's EP and the Tremolo 60's EP. They're similar but not the same.

Amp should be the sound of a Wurli played through an amp (as opposed to the sound taken from its direct line output). I don't know what Casio has done, but sometimes this is done by miking up the Wurli's internal speakers, or miking up some external amp the Wurli is being played through (could be a Fender Twin, or anything really), or it could be the same direct line out samples processed through a DSP that simulates the sound of it being played through an amp. Although tonal change is part of what happens through an amp, it can also change the character especially at high velocity as you could be adding (at least in theory) the sound of a bit of tube overdrive.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Amp should be the sound of a wulri played through an amp (as opposed to the sound taken from its direct line output). I don't know what Casio has done, but sometimes this is done by miking up the Wurli's internal speakers, or miking up some external amp the Wurli is being played through (could be a Fender Twin, or anything really), or it could be the same direct line out samples processed through a DSP that simulates the sound of it being played through an amp. Although tonal change is part of what happens through an amp, it can also change the character especially at high velocity as you could be adding (at least in theory) the sound of a bit of tube overdrive.

It is some very good speaker modeling tech. For those now familiar with Casio's CT-X3000/5000 or the Privia PX-S3000, these instruments have hundreds of pre-amp and speaker models to choose from. It is astonishing honestly. The CT-S1 is borrowing some of that technology.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I prefer the piano and Rhodes (more natural) sound on the CT-S1 but prefer the action (less feather like) and the speakers (substantial bass) on my CT-X700. What a dilemma! Action does tend to trump sound for a pianist. But that CT-S1 Rhodes sounds better for soloing, the lines flow nicely. But the CT-S1 action is just not a fun action, for me. I feel like a clumsy elephant scampering on a tight rope wire. The CT-X700 action has bigger keys with a slightly deeper key bottom, thus somehow more controllable and playable.

So CT-S1 for better Rhodes sound and then CT-X700 for a more playable action performance.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have a PX-S3000 and I think I prefer the Wurli sounds in the CT-S1. The 2 Wurli sounds in the S1 are very similar, but I think the Tremolo 60's sound is better -- more depth, a little fuller, maybe more frequencies in the sound? I'm a Wurli guy from way back in the 70's, not really a Rhodes guy, so I listen very closely to the Wurlis on different boards. I like the Wurli on my Nord 5D. I've never been satisfied with the Wurlis on the S3000 -- they don't quite make it. They have to satisfy my inner Ray Charles on What'd I Say. So far I quite like the Tremolo 60's on the S1.

The action on the S1 is a little odd. I can't quite put my finger on it, so to speak. But I find myself liking it. I'm not an acoustic piano guy, I always wanted to play organ and e. pianos so the non-hammer action is fine by me. But there's still something slightly different about it.

Just got mine.

The action is not like that of an acoustic piano action, but I wasn't expecting it to be, at this price range. Piano isn't my main instrument.

I'm finding E. Piano 1, Tone Variation Advanced to be addictive. However others may feel about that phaser effect, I love it. The End.

Pleased with the overall package so far.

I always wanted to play organ and e. pianos

What's your plan with the organ sounds? Run the audio output through volume pedal for volume control?

Just curious.

I don't think I'll gig this board so I'm not thinking about a volume pedal. This is for grins and giggles at home or a friend's house jam and to take to my grandkids' house. So I'll just use the preset organ sounds and control with volume knob. I've already put it through a small bass practice amp and a portable battery powered speaker. That's all the fancier I'm gonna get. I like the piano sound the most and that's probably what I'll play the most. But it's fun to bring up the French accordion for La Vie En Rose and the guitar for Malagueña. Next I'm gonna see if I can layer strings and choir for You Can't Alway Get What You Want. I'm just having fun with my new toy.

The CT-S1 music stand design makes a pretty good cable organizer / stress reliever.

Probably needs a cable wrap to get it really clean, but not bad for straight out-of-the-box.

Am thinking, if I'm not using the stand, wire from a clothes hanger could also do the job.

IMG-5686.jpg

IMG-5684.jpg

IMG-5685.jpg

Am I correct in saying that the CT-S1, CT-S400, and CT-X700 are the models that have the newer sound engine?

If successful, and it looks like Casio is off to a good start in the US with the CT-S1, would they consider a 73k CT-S1 style board with a few more controllers - volume, pitch and mod with a wider sound palette.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

[video:youtube]