Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio gives the CT line a bump

Just wanted to give some feedback about the Casio CT-S1 as I just played a beach gig with with. First impressions is that the piano sound is a winner overall, and the electric pianos come second; the thing that sticks out is that the definiton of each note is quite good. Chord playing is great, comping is easy.

As a side note, I did feel that some of the bass was a little on the heavy side on the piano sounds, but it might be also due to amplification and the acoustics.

Overall feeling is that I can gig with it!

Thanks for your post. I'm curious about what you did for amplification. Did you go mini-plug out to stereo or just to mono? What amp/powered speaker/PA?

I used a mini-plug out to stereo (splitted into left and right) to a Yamaha MSR 100 powered speaker into chanel 1 and 2. So I didn't try it in stereo unfortunately.

I also use a mini plug out split to left and right. I use two little amps. (Fender Rumble 40 bass amp and a Fender Champ clone)

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have a mini plug splitter. Right now I just use one side to go to my Samson Expedition Escape+ 6" rechargeable battery powered speaker. I also use a guitar wireless transmitter receiver pair to go wireless to the Samson. I have another wireless pair that I could connect to another Samson (if I got another one) to go stereo, but I think if I was going to gig this board, I'd just go wired to my 2 QSC K8's. However ... the thought of being extremely portable and wireless and battery powered and still in stereo (no cables or power cords involved at all, just the 10 lb. board and a couple of 10 lb. speakers) is appealing to my desire to minimize rig size and weight and eliminate cords and cables. I just don't think 2 Samsons could compete volume-wise in a medium loud blues/rock band context.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1526296-REG/samson_saxpescp_portable_pa_50.html

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

What sustain pedal are folks using? I"m using the Casio SP-20 which I dislike. It"s on- range of contact is only 1 mm wide and at the very bottom of the ideal travel. It"s the pedal equivalent of non-touch sensitive keys.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The SP20 stays put better than the square and offers a more normal position, but it triggers only at the very bottom and releases with almost no uplift (1 mm) ... it is very unpianistic. Just the sight of this pedal frightens and upsets me, the range is too narrow, it worries me. It"s not defective either, it"s the way it is.

What sustain pedal are folks using? I"m using the Casio SP-20 which I dislike. It"s on- range of contact is only 1 mm wide and at the very bottom of the ideal travel. It"s the pedal equivalent of non-touch sensitive keys.

Unless a keyboard supports "half pedaling" or "continuous" sustain pedal, it is simply on/off, and your analogy is pretty good... these pedals are all the equivalent of non-touch sensitive keys. The behavior does not vary with how hard/soft or fast/slow you press the pedal, it's just on-full or off-full depending on whether the pedal is depressed or not. The limitation here is not in the pedal, it's in the keyboard. No pedal will change it. The only thing that might change is exactly where in the travel the on/off contact is made. But there is no subtlety to be had.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Unless a keyboard supports "half pedaling" or "continuous" sustain pedal, it is simply on/off, and your analogy is pretty good... these pedals are all the equivalent of non-touch sensitive keys. The behavior does not vary with how hard/soft or fast/slow you press the pedal, it's just on-full or off-full depending on whether the pedal is depressed or not. The limitation here is not in the pedal, it's in the keyboard. No pedal will change it. The only thing that might change is exactly where in the travel the on/off contact is made. But there is no subtlety to be had.

Would a firmer spring add more leg weight control?

Would a firmer spring add more leg weight control?

Well, I guess it would make it harder to press, which might be an improvement if you find feel that a lack of resistance is making the pedal go down faster than you expect (therefore engaging the sustain earlier than you intend), but it won't change the fact that it's a simple on/off effect and in no way "controllable" beyond that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Jazz+, here's a cheap sustain pedal that I think is really nice. Good amount of resistance, and the trigger point isn't too close to the end of the travel. It's also switchable in "polarity" so you can use it on a Roland/Yamaha OR on a Casio/Korg/most others (though not in half damper mode, this pedal is just on/off).

Since I have an Amazon Prime account, I was inspired by Scott's post to shop around there. The ad claiming the "positioning column helps control greatly,you can choose the sustain cadence by yourself" caught my attention, so I fired off a question about this MIMIDI pedal.

Rating is currently 4.5 stars, based on 162 ratings.

Soott, thanks, have you used it much? I had an M Audio that played well because of it's higher tension spring, however it fell apart every two months of use.

Soott, thanks, have you used it much? I had an M Audio that played well because of it's higher tension spring, however it fell apart every two months of use.

I have not used it much, so I can't help here.

Interview with the Casio CT-S1 design team.

https://music.casio.com/en/products/casiotone/interview/

Good interview. The design team put a lot of thought into this board.

We were inspired by the colors of electric guitars and vintage instruments. This led to a nice ripple effect of matching certain sounds with certain looks. For example, I added vintage electric piano and organ sounds because of the red color.

I"m still looking for a slim gig bag with backpack straps for this. Played the Stage Piano and the Stage Rhodes in the park today and it sounded great.

I"m still looking for a slim gig bag with backpack straps for this.
I posted earlier in this thread about an inexpensive rifle bag that I got for my S1 that's kind of a tight fit. I took it to a jam party and the first time I tried to put the backpack strap on, it broke. So much for cheap. I don't like the other bags I have for 61-key or 49-key because they're too wide and bulky with much wasted space and awkward to carry. It occurred to me that I have an old Nord Electro 2 that I don't use (but sorta keep as a backup and because I'm too lazy to try to sell it). I dug it out of the gear closet and discovered that the S1 barely fits in the old Nord case. It's a smidgen longer so it's a tight fit but the Nord case is much slimmer and less bulky than my other cases. So I'll carry my S1 in a beat up old Nord bag. No backpack strap though. Still, at 10 lbs, it's not much of a problem.

Re: rifle cases. I have one for my EWI and one for the S1. A friend came by for lunch, saw one case on the table, and immediately said "rifle." I realized that both cases look like rifle cases. It dawned on me that I don't want to be checking into the motel and be seen carrying 2 rifle cases into the room. I'd have a lot of 'splainin' to do to the cops. So better the Nord case.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

A tribute band I"m in had a 4.5 hour rehearsal yesterday to prepare for our first gig since August 2019. I have my Nord Stage 2 76 +vent set up with 40+ program"s stored as Songs, in order. I was looking to not have to schlep the Nord across the drummers lawn, up his steps and down more stairs to a space challenged basement.

Solution:

CT-S1 into Bose S1. I was able to put the 7 most used sounds in the memory slots and easily grab a few others. The limitation of only playing 1 sound at a time was overshadowed by the quality and range of sound in the Casio and the speed that allowed me to set it up the night before in 20 minutes.

The compliments from my band mates on the sounds and disbelief of what I paid for the CT-S1 was icing on the cake. This board not only is great for backyard parties, camping/vacations, but is a good emergency backup keyboard for the other boards I always gig with.

Since I have an Amazon Prime account, I was inspired by Scott's post to shop around there. The ad claiming the "positioning column helps control greatly,you can choose the sustain cadence by yourself" caught my attention, so I fired off a question about this MIMIDI pedal.

Rating is currently 4.5 stars, based on 162 ratings.

Got a notification from the Amazon system, saying my question was not answered. Ok, will order this one instead. Rated 4.7 stars vs. 4.5, heh

Not possible

thanks for reply.

bummer.

looking at the midi DSP chart, was hoping you could do it via sending something. on my yamaha p-125 it was possible by wiring a simple momentary switch into a couple of the pins in the extra pedal din jack.

The only work-around I can think of would be to use the Jazz organ sound ( there doesn"t seem to be any internal Leslie sound on this organ) and put it through a Neo Ventilator pedal or something similar. You"d have to make sure to hit the bypass switch when you"re done. It"s a lot of trouble to go to for one organ sound.

The only work-around I can think of would be to use the Jazz organ sound ( there doesn"t seem to be any internal Leslie sound on this organ) and put it through a Neo Ventilator pedal or something similar. You"d have to make sure to hit the bypass switch when you"re done. It"s a lot of trouble to go to for one organ sound.

Might make sense if you happen to alreay own the Vent or whatever. Or if you buy one of the cheap rotary sim pedals that are better than nothing. Probably better to run VB3m on your smartphone. If you don't otherwise use layers, it looks like you might be able to leave VB3m set to receive only on the board's "layer" MIDI channel, and create a "silent" saved setup with layer enabled, and that could become a one-button soution to switch to or away from your VB3m organ sound (with the output of your phone wired to teh S1's audio in).