Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles: My name is Sam,I live in San Luis Obispo,Ca. I am re-uniting with my band Sheister in Santa Barbara, Ca.I want a huge metal crunch and a very nice clean tone.What kind of set up would you recommend? Thanks!

I would need a lot more info from you and that can get pretty complicated.

There are hundreds of choices if not ten times that.

This is almost like me asking you .... I really like seafood a lot. What do you think I shoud eat?

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

I am retubing my Kingsley D32C (2 el84 & 2 6v6). I seem to recall that your favorite current-production el84 is the GT EL-84S, is that correct? What current-production 6v6 can you recommend?

Thank you!!! (BTW, I hope am am not borthering you unecessarily with this question - I looked for this info on your website but could not find it)

First off ... no bother at all.

I prefer the EL84S (JJ) in a 5-6 GT rating.

On 6V6's ... tough call as the 6V6EH is a great tube but the JJ 6V6S is stronger and very heavy duty but the EJ sounds like a 6V6 while the JJ has more of a 6L6 character.

So in the end it is personal taste but they are both great tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I was going to replace the 12Ax7 in my 65 Vibrolux, but the Mesa Boogie or the Groove Tubes will not fit. They are fatter than the RCA that is in it and they won't fit in the socket. There is a metal shield around the socket that won't allow for a "Fatter" tube. Is there another brand or am I limited to the RCA?

Thanks

Scott

Scott,

There is a spec on maximum bottle diameter that is not always met. I would have the tube that did not fit replaced by the vendor. Chances are an in-spec tube will fit fine and dandy as I do this all the time in the 60s blackface amps with no problem.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I was going to replace the 12Ax7 in my 65 Vibrolux, but the Mesa Boogie or the Groove Tubes will not fit. They are fatter than the RCA that is in it and they won't fit in the socket. There is a metal shield around the socket that won't allow for a "Fatter" tube. Is there another brand or am I limited to the RCA?

Thanks

Scott

Scott,

There is a spec on maximum bottle diameter that is not always met. I would have the tube that did not fit replaced by the vendor. Chances are an in-spec tube will fit fine and dandy as I do this all the time in the 60s blackface amps with no problem.

I got the tube from GC so I guess I'll have to go somewhere else.

Thanks Myles

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Thanks

Scott

Scott ..... Nope .... no problem-o ....

Call Rick Benson at GT toll free at 1-800-459-5687 and he will replace the tube under warranty. Have him have me pick out the replacement and I will make sure it is within physical diameter spec.

Myles

Scott,

I got the tube from GC so I guess I'll have to go somewhere else.

Thanks Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I bought an Epiphone 57 reissue LP Jr. Would you know what a P100 pickup actually is? It's kind of lifeless and using the same amp settings on my Valve Junior, my 07' Melody Maker is much louder than the Epi. I really like the guitar, but what's with that pickup?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Myles,

I bought an Epiphone 57 reissue LP Jr. Would you know what a P100 pickup actually is? It's kind of lifeless and using the same amp settings on my Valve Junior, my 07' Melody Maker is much louder than the Epi. I really like the guitar, but what's with that pickup?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

Sorry ... can't help much here as I am not up on the P100. Post this in it's own new thread and you will probably get a lot of good info.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I had been in the market for amps recently and the front runner was the ac30 custom classic (with wharfdales) and while I had been playing on at a guitar center a salesmen offered me 875 (that night only) out the door on it (normal of 1000 before taxes) so I bought to it to see if I would really like it since I have 30 days to return it full money back. This amp is wonderful for crunchy chords but it seems to lack a bit when I go from chording stuff to more lead type playing. Im thinking I need just a tad more gain for lead stuff but I dont want to just turn down a bit during rhythm parts because personally it sounds perfect as is and turning down sort of sucks the life out of it. What would be a few ways I could get it to run a bit heavier? could I simply do something along the lines of a tube change? I would like to stay away from pedals because most of the ones i've tried really mess up the signal when the pedals off.

Thanks,

Derrick

I had been in the market for amps recently and the front runner was the ac30 custom classic (with wharfdales) and while I had been playing on at a guitar center a salesmen offered me 875 (that night only) out the door on it (normal of 1000 before taxes) so I bought to it to see if I would really like it since I have 30 days to return it full money back. This amp is wonderful for crunchy chords but it seems to lack a bit when I go from chording stuff to more lead type playing. Im thinking I need just a tad more gain for lead stuff but I dont want to just turn down a bit during rhythm parts because personally it sounds perfect as is and turning down sort of sucks the life out of it. What would be a few ways I could get it to run a bit heavier? could I simply do something along the lines of a tube change? I would like to stay away from pedals because most of the ones i've tried really mess up the signal when the pedals off.

Thanks,

Derrick

Derrick,

The amp is what it is and about all that you can try is to put in a GT SAG-MHG kit ( http://www.groovetubes.com/SAG-MHG_Marshall_High_Gain_Kit_P1737.cfm ) which will give you at least 10% more front end gain than stock tubes typically have on tap. In most cases it is over 15%.

If that is not enough then you need a different type of amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Do you have any experience with FUCHS OD100. I'm using GT 12AX7M in V1 and V2. GT 12ax7M PI. I'm interested in finding out what you would use in V1 and V2.and why. I'm using Svetlana 6L6GC at 35ma. for power tubes. I'm going for that Robben Ford Larry Carlton thing. Thanks Frank C
Frank C.

Do you have any experience with FUCHS OD100. I'm using GT 12AX7M in V1 and V2. GT 12ax7M PI. I'm interested in finding out what you would use in V1 and V2.and why. I'm using Svetlana 6L6GC at 35ma. for power tubes. I'm going for that Robben Ford Larry Carlton thing. Thanks Frank C

I know Andy's amps pretty well.

Preamp tubes are really personal preference. There is no right or wrong, better or worse.

Your output tubes are good ones and your bias is fine.

Both Robben and Larry use amps that have a very different gain structure in the front end so tube choices are not going to get you there. Even the Dumble is something of a Fender BF front end and at the moment both of them are using Fender BF amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Pardon me for butting in here, but I might be able to shed a little light on your pickup question, Junior 1...

Gibson's P-100 pickups are actually a humbucking dual-coil design (I believe that they're the "stacked", vertically-aligned type), whereas their look-alike predecessor and progenitor, the P-90, is a true single-coil design.

The P-100 doesn't seem to have a very good reputation, the only comments I've ever heard or read about 'em have all been negative! If you want an authentic P-90 "soap-bar" or "dog-ear" sound, you probably want a Gibson, Seymour Duncan, or other authentic, single-coil P-90 type pickup.

:idea: I HAVE read somewhere a while back about someone getting great results with coil-tapping a P-100- that is, installing a switch that cuts-out one or another of its two coils. If you had a triple-throw switch installed that selected among the bottom, both, & top coils, you could go from "vintage-y" single-coil to humbucking (stock, like you have now) to a bolder, more "modern" single-coil tones, respectively... I'm pretty sure that the P-100 has enough conductor wires to allow for this switching... Let me know how you make out here! (PM me.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Pardon me for butting in here, but I might be able to shed a little light on your pickup question, Junior 1...

Gibson's P-100 pickups are actually a humbucking dual-coil design (I believe that they're the "stacked", vertically-aligned type), whereas their look-alike predecessor and progenitor, the P-90, is a true single-coil design.

The P-100 doesn't seem to have a very good reputation, the only comments I've ever heard or read about 'em have all been negative! If you want an authentic P-90 "soap-bar" or "dog-ear" sound, you probably want a Gibson, Seymour Duncan, or other authentic, single-coil P-90 type pickup.

:idea: I HAVE read somewhere a while back about someone getting great results with coil-tapping a P-100- that is, installing a switch that cuts-out one or another of its two coils. If you had a triple-throw switch installed that selected among the bottom, both, & top coils, you could go from "vintage-y" single-coil to humbucking (stock, like you have now) to a bolder, more "modern" single-coil tones, respectively... I'm pretty sure that the P-100 has enough conductor wires to allow for this switching... Let me know how you make out here! (PM me.)

Thanks for popping in here with some great info.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

And thanks AGAIN for that sweet Mullard-style MPI, I am still enjoying the great benefit of it and often feel a tad guilty for not popping in here like this more often, Myles! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

And thanks AGAIN for that sweet Mullard-style MPI, I am still enjoying the great benefit of it and often feel a tad guilty for not popping in here like this more often, Myles! :thu:

You are always welcome and it's always great to hear from you. I should try to get in here more often too.

Myles

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have this posted in another thread but Bluesape recommended I run this by you.

I just noticed this little noise problem when I got my new amp which I will also get to.

I have a MIM Nashville Deluxe Tele (which I will be selling to buy an American Strat anyway) that I just started playing again on my new amp. When it's plugged in and I'm not playing it, it makes this rather loud humming noise (and no, it's not the 60-cycle hum that I know you guys would normally tell me it is). The thing is, when I touch any metal part of the guitar, it stops. This includes the strings and the metal shield on the cable.

I am still learning about all the electronics of electric guitars so I can't make an accurate diagnosis on my own but my original thought was a bad ground. I also thought I might be able to fix it by putting some electrical tape around the metal shield of the cable since touching it even with just the tip of my finger stops the hum.

Your thoughts?

Now to the amp. I just bought it new from GC. It's a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 and my first tube amp. The problem is another noise issue. I don't know if it has always been there or if its normal. The sound I first though was the water pipes in my house but upon further investigation discovered it was coming from my amp. It sounds like water pipes or wind blowing or like a very lite static. Hardly noticeable at the low volumes I practice at home at but at higher show level volumes it's a bit annoying. Could it be something with the tubes? I'm completely stumped on this one.

Cheers,

Zach

Hooray for the Moon

Hey, I have this posted in another thread but Bluesape recommended I run this by you.

I just noticed this little noise problem when I got my new amp which I will also get to.

I have a MIM Nashville Deluxe Tele (which I will be selling to buy an American Strat anyway) that I just started playing again on my new amp. When it's plugged in and I'm not playing it, it makes this rather loud humming noise (and no, it's not the 60-cycle hum that I know you guys would normally tell me it is). The thing is, when I touch any metal part of the guitar, it stops. This includes the strings and the metal shield on the cable.

I am still learning about all the electronics of electric guitars so I can't make an accurate diagnosis on my own but my original thought was a bad ground. I also thought I might be able to fix it by putting some electrical tape around the metal shield of the cable since touching it even with just the tip of my finger stops the hum.

Your thoughts?

Now to the amp. I just bought it new from GC. It's a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 and my first tube amp. The problem is another noise issue. I don't know if it has always been there or if its normal. The sound I first though was the water pipes in my house but upon further investigation discovered it was coming from my amp. It sounds like water pipes or wind blowing or like a very lite static. Hardly noticeable at the low volumes I practice at home at but at higher show level volumes it's a bit annoying. Could it be something with the tubes? I'm completely stumped on this one.

Cheers,

Zach

Zach,

Sounds like it is a bad power tube that has been damaged in transit or just failed early. If one of the two 6L6's is too far out of match this hum is the result along with other things. Ourput tubes are hum issue.

Now when you talk about the other noises, this can be a preamp tube issue. It is hard to describe these sorts of symptoms in writing but in any case the amp has a problem and it is a warranty issue.

Take the amp back to GC and they should replace the duet or the amp as if it not the tube it is some other problem that would be a warranty issue.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Well the guitar hum I've designated as an issue with the guitar and not the amp.

What I'm worried about is the weird blowing wind sound coming from the amp. But I guess I'll try to bring it back in to GC soon and see if they'll fix it.

Thanks for you're help!

Hooray for the Moon

Well the guitar hum I've designated as an issue with the guitar and not the amp.

What I'm worried about is the weird blowing wind sound coming from the amp. But I guess I'll try to bring it back in to GC soon and see if they'll fix it.

Thanks for you're help!

Preamp tube

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I picked up a Fender GDEC Junior, and although in theory it's a great practice tool, the tone sucks and it's not very loud. It has a Fender special design full range speaker, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. I'm using a reissue Melody Maker and a reissue Epi LP Jr., with the P100. With the Epi, I had to crank the volume to 2 or 3 o'clock to get decent volume. The MM was better for volume. I'd like to replace the speaker and wanted to know what spec I should be looking for to get a little more volume and tone out of the thing. Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Myles,

I picked up a Fender GDEC Junior, and although in theory it's a great practice tool, the tone sucks and it's not very loud. It has a Fender special design full range speaker, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. I'm using a reissue Melody Maker and a reissue Epi LP Jr., with the P100. With the Epi, I had to crank the volume to 2 or 3 o'clock to get decent volume. The MM was better for volume. I'd like to replace the speaker and wanted to know what spec I should be looking for to get a little more volume and tone out of the thing. Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

Contact Ted Weber and talk to him.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Hey, I have some questions. Sorry if this is long or annoying. One of my roommates brought home an old reel-to-reel recorder type thingee and I salvaged a handful of old looking preamp tubes from it. Here's the list:

Two short plated General Electric 12AX7's,

Another short plated General Electric labeled "6BK7B,"

Two other General Electrics (long plated) "6AW8A"

Another "6BK7B" this one a short plated Westing House,

A Realistic Lifetime (short plate) 12AT7,

A Crown 12AT7 (short plated),

An RCA 12AX7 (short plated),

A short plated Sylvana 12AX7,

And lastly a Raytheon long plated tube labeled a "12BH7A."

So did I get a handful of junk? Any gems? Should I beware of anything? Should I just plug them in my Blues Jr and see how they sound? Sorry if this is a ridiculous post, thanks so much.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Myles,

Hey, I have some questions. Sorry if this is long or annoying. One of my roommates brought home an old reel-to-reel recorder type thingee and I salvaged a handful of old looking preamp tubes from it. Here's the list:

Two short plated General Electric 12AX7's,

Another short plated General Electric labeled "6BK7B,"

Two other General Electrics (long plated) "6AW8A"

Another "6BK7B" this one a short plated Westing House,

A Realistic Lifetime (short plate) 12AT7,

A Crown 12AT7 (short plated),

An RCA 12AX7 (short plated),

A short plated Sylvana 12AX7,

And lastly a Raytheon long plated tube labeled a "12BH7A."

So did I get a handful of junk? Any gems? Should I beware of anything? Should I just plug them in my Blues Jr and see how they sound? Sorry if this is a ridiculous post, thanks so much.

Any of the 12AX7s and 12AT7s would be of use.

The 12BH7A would be of use in a hi-fi amp and as a phase inverter for those seeking more clean headroom in a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia over the stock 5751.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr