Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles,

I am having the following problem with a Rivera Fandango. When the unit is switched out of standby I am hearing what - for lack of a better description - sounds like a piece of rotating machinery (compressor, motor, etc). The noise almost sounds like the blower motor in one of those old practice organs from Sears??? Anyway - I realize there are no rotating parts in the amp and I'm just wondering what the sound could be. Also, when the Focus control is set at zero the sound disappears.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Myles,

I am having the following problem with a Rivera Fandango. When the unit is switched out of standby I am hearing what - for lack of a better description - sounds like a piece of rotating machinery (compressor, motor, etc). The noise almost sounds like the blower motor in one of those old practice organs from Sears??? Anyway - I realize there are no rotating parts in the amp and I'm just wondering what the sound could be. Also, when the Focus control is set at zero the sound disappears.

Kind Regards,

Dan

When was the last time the output tubes were changed? What is in the output now? How many hours or years on them?

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Myles, I have just got a little Laney VC15 1x10" combo.

It has V1 V2 V3 in the pre-amp section. As I understand it, the V1 tube is the one which really produces most of the gain/tone.

Firstly, what do V2 & V3 do?

Secondly, what tubes would you suggest? The tubes that came with it were V1=TAD ECC83 V2=TAD 12AX7 OEM V3=No Labelling.

I would like to have a small stock of maybe 2/3 tubes, to swap out in the V1 stage, 1 for warm Jazzy tone, 1 for Bluesy crunch and 1 for maybe higher gain.

Are there any tubes you would suggest for V2 & V3?

Thanks for your help

I know cabs can have wattages, but I'm unsure of how they should relate to the heads. If you have a 50 watt head, what wattage should the cab be? What if it's a 100 watt head? Is a 300 watt cab not good for a 50 watt head?

Mmmmm?

A general rule of thumb is to have the speaker wattage equal or exceed the amp wattage.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, I have just got a little Laney VC15 1x10" combo.

It has V1 V2 V3 in the pre-amp section. As I understand it, the V1 tube is the one which really produces most of the gain/tone.

Firstly, what do V2 & V3 do?

Secondly, what tubes would you suggest? The tubes that came with it were V1=TAD ECC83 V2=TAD 12AX7 OEM V3=No Labelling.

I would like to have a small stock of maybe 2/3 tubes, to swap out in the V1 stage, 1 for warm Jazzy tone, 1 for Bluesy crunch and 1 for maybe higher gain.

Are there any tubes you would suggest for V2 & V3?

Thanks for your help

V1 is the heart of your amp, V2 is another gain stage and tone stage, and V3 is the phase inverter.

Tubes are personal taste. Look on my GAB website for thoughts and ideas.

For a selection of tubes for V1 for a few "flavors" look at the GT TT kit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles: I am in the process of buying my first tube amp. I do not want to spend over $5-600.00. I am aware that this will limit my selection and quality. I am 48 and have been a "beginner" all this time. I sing very well, took voice for 14 years in school, p/u the guitar in 1980. Pardon the Bi-Polar moment above.

I have looked at some, but want to buy from a local dealer who carries Fender, Peavy, Traynor, Roland and I believe that is it.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

guuitarOCD(Mike T.)

Myles: I am in the process of buying my first tube amp. I do not want to spend over $5-600.00. I am aware that this will limit my selection and quality. I am 48 and have been a "beginner" all this time. I sing very well, took voice for 14 years in school, p/u the guitar in 1980. Pardon the Bi-Polar moment above.

I have looked at some, but want to buy from a local dealer who carries Fender, Peavy, Traynor, Roland and I believe that is it.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

guuitarOCD(Mike T.)

Mike,

Not to trample on Myles toes here but I thought I might just jump in and put it out there that a little more information will also help pare down what you're looking for some. What style(s) of music do you play? Are you going to be playing gigs, jamming with buddies, or just noodling at home? Do you want an amp with a gain (distortion) channel or do you have pedals? Anything else you can think of along these lines will help folks guide you in the right direction because believe it or not there are a lot of options to be had in the price range you mentioned. Oh and you also might want to throw this down below to the general forum because I'm sure there's going to be some good suggestions from the rest of the guys here as well.

P.S. Welcome to our little forum. :wave: Stick around, there's a lot of good times and a wealth of knowledge to be had here.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

guuitarOCD(Mike T.)

Sauce in the above post had some good things to say.

There are many factors and frankly speaking, in your price range there are a LOT of great amps!

A darn good amp with a lot of bang for the $$$$ and pretty versitile is the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I prefer it with it's 1x12 config over the 4x10 and 2x12 Hot Rod DeVilles. The HRD has nice cleans that will work nicely with pedals if the distortion channel is not to your liking all the time. It is an easy amp to transport and you can find them everywhere and even new they are right in your price range.

There are many many many other nice amps in this range as well.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

It's been a while since i've been online. ( Work. ) I'm coming into possession of an old Crate mosfet amp, and I don't know the preamp tubes it takes. ( The amp is so old the tube labels arn't even there ) It's a CRATE GT-200H, has four preamp tubes. I KNOW for a fact one is a 12AU7, outside of that the tubes wording are so old and rubbed out I can't make out details. Thanks a bunch, Miles! =D
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

It's been a while since i've been online. ( Work. ) I'm coming into possession of an old Crate mosfet amp, and I don't know the preamp tubes it takes. ( The amp is so old the tube labels arn't even there ) It's a CRATE GT-200H, has four preamp tubes. I KNOW for a fact one is a 12AU7, outside of that the tubes wording are so old and rubbed out I can't make out details. Thanks a bunch, Miles! =D

Check with Crate. Chances are the others outside of the 12AU7 are probably 12AX7s but I'd check with them first or get somebody to stick them on a tester.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Contact Mercury Magnetics for a transformer.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

They can provide original spec or upgraded transformers for any requirement.

www.mercurymagnetics.com

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, Happy birthday for tomorrow!

I have a couple of 12AX7 pre-amp valves, they are marked up as CV 4004's. The only info I can find on the internet regarding CV 4004, is that they are Mullard military spec (I know they are military as they came from the RAF), is this true? Because they dont actually say Mullard anywhere on them?

I have a couple of 12AX7 pre-amp valves, they are marked up as CV 4004's. The only info I can find on the internet regarding CV 4004, is that they are Mullard military spec (I know they are military as they came from the RAF), is this true? Because they dont actually say Mullard anywhere on them?

Thanks for the b'day wish.

On the tubes, they may or may not be Mullards but probably are. If you could email me some detailed pix I can probably tell.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

myles, I have a question regarding EQ settings.

On my amp ('65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue), the control panel only has two EQ knobs (Treble and Bass), is it possible to tweak the two to produce more mids?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Thanks for the b'day wish.

On the tubes, they may or may not be Mullards but probably are. If you could email me some detailed pix I can probably tell.

Will do, when I get home, thanks Myles.

From memory they have 1 large white box split into 2. In the left hand side it has an upward arrow and beneath it is 7535(I think?) on the right hand side it as CV 4004 and beneath that is KB/ADD. The box they were in dates Oct 1975.

Whether they are Mullard or not, they sound pretty sweet! :-)

Don't even think about changing this classic circuit in any way .... the last think you want is another tone pot in the signal path either.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Don't even think about changing this classic circuit in any way .... the last think you want is another tone pot in the signal path either.

If you were referring to me, I wasn't talking about changing the circuit. What I was asking was if it was possible to adjust the Treble and Bass knobs to get more mids into the sound.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If you were referring to me, I wasn't talking about changing the circuit. What I was asking was if it was possible to adjust the Treble and Bass knobs to get more mids into the sound.

Just experiment .... but if you want more pronounced mids use an ECC83S in V1 or V2 depending on if you want the mids in the normal channel (V1) or the vibrato channel (v2)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Just experiment .... but if you want more pronounced mids use an ECC83S in V1 or V2 depending on if you want the mids in the normal channel (V1) or the vibrato channel (v2)

Would that require re-biasing?

And thanks for the info.

If they sound great then you are right ... does not matter what they are :)

Is this good enough to confirm, or do you still want the big pics emailed over? (Sorry about the crappy lighting)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/leepurnell/valve.jpg

Thanks mate