Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hey, I've had an ampeg svt-3 for about 2 years now and just today it started to crackle real bad when playing. I know that this is a common sign that the tubes need to be replaced but i didn't think that the tubes would be dying already (there the factory tubes, im not sure what kind they are). It doesnt sound like the problem is with the speakers but i can't be sure. Is two years a reasonable amount of time to have to replace the tubes? do you think that's the problem? thanks

Max

Hey, I've had an ampeg svt-3 for about 2 years now and just today it started to crackle real bad when playing. I know that this is a common sign that the tubes need to be replaced but i didn't think that the tubes would be dying already (there the factory tubes, im not sure what kind they are). It doesnt sound like the problem is with the speakers but i can't be sure. Is two years a reasonable amount of time to have to replace the tubes? do you think that's the problem? thanks

Max

The first thing to check is a noisy 12AX7. Get a known good one and swap it with each one in the amp, one at a time.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

I'm an experienced player, but a neophyte when it comes to electronics.

To make a long story short, I swapped my Fender Hot Rod Deville

(2x12 60w) with a longtime friend for a silver face Princeton Reverb loaded w/a JBL and GT's (he wanted bigger and I wanted smaller!). Well now he had back surgery and wants it back!

My question is 2-fold;

1) What did the JBL and new tubes sonically achive with the Princeton?

It certainly is plenty loud and is just everything I need in an amp-I just love it. I gig every weekend at small clubs and bars and it performs great- plenty loud with no miking.

2) What other amps do you think would be similar sonically?

(short of getting another Princeton and doing similar mod)

I can't bear to give this amp back and I will definitely ditch the HRD 2x12 60W- it is just way too loud (don't know what I was thinking when I got it). Cash is definitely a consideration and I think the new Princeton is too pricey as well as used ones out there.

Thanks

Rich

Myles,

I'm an experienced player, but a neophyte when it comes to electronics.

To make a long story short, I swapped my Fender Hot Rod Deville

(2x12 60w) with a longtime friend for a silver face Princeton Reverb loaded w/a JBL and GT's (he wanted bigger and I wanted smaller!). Well now he had back surgery and wants it back!

My question is 2-fold;

1) What did the JBL and new tubes sonically achive with the Princeton?

It certainly is plenty loud and is just everything I need in an amp-I just love it. I gig every weekend at small clubs and bars and it performs great- plenty loud with no miking.

2) What other amps do you think would be similar sonically?

(short of getting another Princeton and doing similar mod)

I can't bear to give this amp back and I will definitely ditch the HRD 2x12 60W- it is just way too loud (don't know what I was thinking when I got it). Cash is definitely a consideration and I think the new Princeton is too pricey as well as used ones out there.

Thanks

Rich

A Princeton is a Princeton ... spectacular amp. The JBL speakers were the most efficient speakers you can find and just 3dB of increased speaker efficiency will make your Princeton into an amp as if it has double the wattage and in fact the JBL was more than 3dB over the stock speaker. Each 3dB is the same as doubling your wattage so 6dB will turn a 15 watt amp in a way into a 60 watter output wise.

If you want a real Priceton you are going to have to pay for one ... no way around that. Finding a 10" JBL is going to also be pricy.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Oh well. I think it might be worth whatever I can get a Princeton for and the mod with the JBL sounds and works great for me so that may be the way to go. I'm going to to try out other low watt Fenders out there too like the 65 Deluxe reissue and maybe Vox AC15.

Thanks alot

Oh well. I think it might be worth whatever I can get a Princeton for and the mod with the JBL sounds and works great for me so that may be the way to go. I'm going to to try out other low watt Fenders out there too like the 65 Deluxe reissue and maybe Vox AC15.

Thanks alot

You can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

This is rather open question but..

Which would you pick if any for jazz/classic rock?

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Carvin Nomad

Peavey Classic 30

Personally for me, the Fender as it has the best cleans.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Alright. Thanks!

And would you suggest getting any sort of mods, speaker changes, or accessories? This probably wont be going to shows/gigs for awhile.

Just start with the amp stock for a while.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, I am looking into the boutique amp department, and I was hoping to get an inside opinion.

I'm going to be in college in a year, and am looking for a very versatile amp. I'm looking for a boutique amp that is fairly light (about 40 lbs or less) and can double as a practice and gig amp, and preferrably has a master volume. And, I'm really looking to make sure that this is an amp that will last decades.

As far as tone goes, I need something that can cover a lot of ground. Basically, I would want something that can go from jazz clean, to Blues overdrive overdrive, to early Van Halen distortion.

I've already looked up the Top Hat Club Royale, Savage Rohr 15, Matchless LG-112, /13 EDT 13/29, Marshall 1974X, and the Fuchs Lucky Seven. Are there any diamonds in the rough out there that you can recommend apart from the above?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Hey Myles, I am looking into the boutique amp department, and I was hoping to get an inside opinion.

I'm going to be in college in a year, and am looking for a very versatile amp. I'm looking for a boutique amp that is fairly light (about 40 lbs or less) and can double as a practice and gig amp, and preferrably has a master volume. And, I'm really looking to make sure that this is an amp that will last decades.

As far as tone goes, I need something that can cover a lot of ground. Basically, I would want something that can go from jazz clean, to Blues overdrive overdrive, to early Van Halen distortion.

I've already looked up the Top Hat Club Royale, Savage Rohr 15, Matchless LG-112, /13 EDT 13/29, Marshall 1974X, and the Fuchs Lucky Seven. Are there any diamonds in the rough out there that you can recommend apart from the above?

I think you have enough very good amps in the above list. It is going to boil down to your own personal taste and budget. As far as from Jazz to EVH ... none of those amps are going to come close to doing that sort of range .... no amp out there will.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I think you have enough very good amps in the above list. It is going to boil down to your own personal taste and budget. As far as from Jazz to EVH ... none of those amps are going to come close to doing that sort of range .... no amp out there will.

Quite true, but maybe I should have been a little more clearer, I'm asking if any of those amps will be able to reach those levels of gain whilst increasing the volume, like going from 3 on the dial (jazz) to 10 (EVH). so let me rephrase my question:

which has the highest gain character?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Quite true, but maybe I should have been a little more clearer, I'm asking if any of those amps will be able to reach those levels of gain whilst increasing the volume, like going from 3 on the dial (jazz) to 10 (EVH). so let me rephrase my question:

The amp that will have the highest gain on one side and the most clean tones on the other is not listed ... it is the Dr. Z Galaxie.

http://www.drzamps.com/galaxie.html

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Okay, thanks for the heads up Myles

Take a look at the Rivera amps too .... one of the few that can do great clean tones and cover the rock bases plus they travel well on tour and hold up better than most anything out there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I've been toying with the idea to replace the speaker in my Blues Jr for a long time now and I was just wondering if you had any recommendations. Right now it's got the stock Eminence "Special Design" speaker in it. I'd like to get a more efficient speaker and one that would make the amp "come alive" a little more if that makes any sense. I feel like the stock speaker is a little lifeless and sterile and I've heard good results from people changing it out. I figure price range around $100. I play a lot of heavy, blues based rock, Hendrix, Gilmour, Gibbbons, SRV, etc. Just wondering what you would recommend. Thanks a lot.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Hey Myles,

I've been toying with the idea to replace the speaker in my Blues Jr for a long time now and I was just wondering if you had any recommendations. Right now it's got the stock Eminence "Special Design" speaker in it. I'd like to get a more efficient speaker and one that would make the amp "come alive" a little more if that makes any sense. I feel like the stock speaker is a little lifeless and sterile and I've heard good results from people changing it out. I figure price range around $100. I play a lot of heavy, blues based rock, Hendrix, Gilmour, Gibbbons, SRV, etc. Just wondering what you would recommend. Thanks a lot.

Well .... if it were my amp I'd go with a Vox AlNiCO blue personally.

But .... maybe email Ted Weber as he has a lot of great stuff and can help you get directly dialed in.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I have a 65 Blackface Vibrolux that has GE 6L6 power tubes. One of them sounds like a baby rattle. Is it neccessary to replace them with GE's or can I replace them with something eles to get a different tone or more gain?

Scott

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

I have a 65 Blackface Vibrolux that has GE 6L6 power tubes. One of them sounds like a baby rattle. Is it neccessary to replace them with GE's or can I replace them with something eles to get a different tone or more gain?

Scott

Scott,

Gain comes from the front end not the output section.

If one of the tubes has a rattle you should replace the duet.

I prefer the GT-6L6GEs in your amp with a #6 rating biased at 30mA as a side note.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Scott

Scott,

Gain comes from the front end not the output section.

If one of the tubes has a rattle you should replace the duet.

I prefer the GT-6L6GEs in your amp with a #6 rating biased at 30mA as a side note.

Thank you

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Myles, I just bought a 1994 Fender Concert (the Pro Tube Series one) without the footswitch. The stock switch has 3 switches on it, channel/gain(boost)/reverb. Can I use a Peavey switch with only 2 switches to at least switch channels?

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Myles, I just bought a 1994 Fender Concert (the Pro Tube Series one) without the footswitch. The stock switch has 3 switches on it, channel/gain(boost)/reverb. Can I use a Peavey switch with only 2 switches to at least switch channels?

Try it ... but it might not work. The Fender switch has various signals that go to specific relays.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The amp that will have the highest gain on one side and the most clean tones on the other is not listed ... it is the Dr. Z Galaxie.

a-ha! I've been looking at this thing--reading reviews, etc--for the last couple days. Looks very interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

a-ha! I've been looking at this thing--reading reviews, etc--for the last couple days. Looks very interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

You are quite welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I am looking into buying a new electric guitar and I'd like to piggyback on your expertise.

Money is tight, so I can't go crazy here. I've narrowed it down to two models. Both around $600.

A new Michael Kelly Patriot Custom or a used Gibson Les Paul Studio.

The Gibson is obviously the most name reliable, but the Patriot Custom has got so many great reviews.

Which one would you get? And if anyone else has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Hi Myles,

I am looking into buying a new electric guitar and I'd like to piggyback on your expertise.

Money is tight, so I can't go crazy here. I've narrowed it down to two models. Both around $600.

A new Michael Kelly Patriot Custom or a used Gibson Les Paul Studio.

The Gibson is obviously the most name reliable, but the Patriot Custom has got so many great reviews.

Which one would you get? And if anyone else has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

This is 150% personal preference.

Both guitars would be totally reliable.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I guess the deeper question here is this:

If I buy a higher model from a lesser known guitar maker will the quality be better than a lower model from a better known guitar maker?

Also I'm interested in the coil tap feature on the Patriot Custom, have you ever messed around with one of those?

I guess the deeper question here is this:

If I buy a higher model from a lesser known guitar maker will the quality be better than a lower model from a better known guitar maker?

Also I'm interested in the coil tap feature on the Patriot Custom, have you ever messed around with one of those?

Answer to question 1 - No guarantees.

Question 2 - standard coil splitter most probably ... check with the maker

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr