Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Mkay.

Actually ... I did answer the PM so you do not have to send email. GT email is current having issues ... but as a side note my own email addresses are fine.

I just try to limit using PM.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles I have an mid-80's Fender Twin Reverb, silver face plate, that I have not used in a while.

When I fire it up it has a sound almost like transformer hum with occasional crackle that comes and goes. If I rap on the top of the amp it will go away for a while. It seems specifically related to the movement of the 6L6 tubes, in particular one of them is the worst culprit.

I also hear a sort of very faint almost feedback sound sometimes after I have played something. If I play a loud note it might go away. It is almost like the tail of a note just keeps sustaining, but is more like some sort of microphonic deal. Very faint though and not volume related. If I turn off the volumes it is still there.

Anyway, will taking out the tubes and cleaning the sockets and pins possibly help this hum and crackle. If so do I just use a contact cleaner or is there something you would recommend. I think they are Groove Tubes.

Thanks.

Myles I have an mid-80's Fender Twin Reverb, silver face plate, that I have not used in a while.

When I fire it up it has a sound almost like transformer hum with occasional crackle that comes and goes. If I rap on the top of the amp it will go away for a while. It seems specifically related to the movement of the 6L6 tubes, in particular one of them is the worst culprit.

I also hear a sort of very faint almost feedback sound sometimes after I have played something. If I play a loud note it might go away. It is almost like the tail of a note just keeps sustaining, but is more like some sort of microphonic deal. Very faint though and not volume related. If I turn off the volumes it is still there.

Anyway, will taking out the tubes and cleaning the sockets and pins possibly help this hum and crackle. If so do I just use a contact cleaner or is there something you would recommend. I think they are Groove Tubes.

Thanks.

Clean and lube the tube sockets with a good cleaner/lube, not something like WD-40 as an example of what not to use.

I like Deoixt Gold if you cannot find Crymolin R5

When were the output tubes last changed? Check the bias too .... this caused hum as do mismatched output tubes.

Crackle is usually preamp tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I recently purchased a short scale jazz bass. It has 2 volume controls stacked above one another. The lower one will not work unless the top one is turned up. Is that normal for a jazz bass?

yes ... that is normal in some of the wiring schemes to allow for blending of the pickups. You can wire it easily to work in the other fashion.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Will wiring the pickups independently change the output in any way?

Thanks

Nope ...

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Clean and lube the tube sockets with a good cleaner/lube, not something like WD-40 as an example of what not to use.

When were the output tubes last changed? Check the bias too .... this caused hum as do mismatched output tubes.

Thanks a lot. I only have a contact cleaner at this time. I hope that will be sufficient. What is the safe thing to do as far as current? Is just unplugging the amp ok to remove and re-install tubes or should I discharge the amp in some way?

Also should the tube glass be cleaned with alchohol after handling?

Thanks a lot. I only have a contact cleaner at this time. I hope that will be sufficient. What is the safe thing to do as far as current? Is just unplugging the amp ok to remove and re-install tubes or should I discharge the amp in some way?

Also should the tube glass be cleaned with alchohol after handling?

Unplug the amp and discharge the caps in a proper manner. If you are not used to working around high voltages get some experienced help.

Do not use straight contact cleaner without some sort of lube. The pots will stick down the road.

Tubes are not like halogen light bulbs ... finger prints are of no concern. Treat a tube as you treat an everyday light bulb.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi, i currently have a marshall JCM800 100w 2 channel amp, (2210 model) and has worked great for a good long time. Unfortunately now it has become ill..... i had it serviced about a year ago, but its big hassle for me to take it down and pick it up etc and its not really possible these days.....

i noticed one day at practice it was getting harder and harder 2 hear... i thought it was just me, so just kept cranking it up a bit between songs..... until eventually i still cud hardly hear it and it was up full.... so then i started investigating, there was hardly any volume (but still some)and the sound was very 'gritty' i guess..... i read on the marshall website that preamp tubes can be responsible for lack of volume and tone and what not, so i borrowed my mates jcm900 for some experimentation.

i took each of my preamp valves and slotted them in2 his first preamp socket 1 at a time in the hope of finding the dodgy one.... however his amp soldiered on as before no problem with any of my preamp valves.

i tried the same thing with the EL34s and again no problem with his amps tone or volume when using my valves....

also i noticed during my experimentations that wen i flick my amp off standby (ie on), and start to play, there is no volume at all and gradually gets louder over the course of 10-20 seconds, up to a volume that isnt even near as loud as my squier practice amp and that gritty tone i mentioned before.....

have you any ideas about wat else the problem could be or how to fix it?? since it fades in i thought it mite be some kind of voltage problem? but with the high voltages involved i didnt wanna poke around the large transformers.... i also tried bridging the FX loop with a patch lead... made no difference either,....

any help greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.... also sorry for the long post lol!

Dave

Hi, i currently have a marshall JCM800 100w 2 channel amp, (2210 model) and has worked great for a good long time. Unfortunately now it has become ill..... i had it serviced about a year ago, but its big hassle for me to take it down and pick it up etc and its not really possible these days.....

i noticed one day at practice it was getting harder and harder 2 hear... i thought it was just me, so just kept cranking it up a bit between songs..... until eventually i still cud hardly hear it and it was up full.... so then i started investigating, there was hardly any volume (but still some)and the sound was very 'gritty' i guess..... i read on the marshall website that preamp tubes can be responsible for lack of volume and tone and what not, so i borrowed my mates jcm900 for some experimentation.

i took each of my preamp valves and slotted them in2 his first preamp socket 1 at a time in the hope of finding the dodgy one.... however his amp soldiered on as before no problem with any of my preamp valves.

i tried the same thing with the EL34s and again no problem with his amps tone or volume when using my valves....

also i noticed during my experimentations that wen i flick my amp off standby (ie on), and start to play, there is no volume at all and gradually gets louder over the course of 10-20 seconds, up to a volume that isnt even near as loud as my squier practice amp and that gritty tone i mentioned before.....

have you any ideas about wat else the problem could be or how to fix it?? since it fades in i thought it mite be some kind of voltage problem? but with the high voltages involved i didnt wanna poke around the large transformers.... i also tried bridging the FX loop with a patch lead... made no difference either,....

any help greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.... also sorry for the long post lol!

Dave

If your output tubes are fresh, matched, and the amp is properly biased the amp needs to see a techs bench.

It can be many things.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles -

I am hoping you can be of help. I have a Sunn T50C amp. It has 2 6L6's, 7 12 AX7's and 1 12AT7. I am looking to retube. I presently have JJ's. Lately the amp has lost some life to its sound and has gotten noisier. I was thinking of getting the SED Winged C's for the power tubes, the new Tung Sol 12AX7 for V1, the Mullard 4024 for the 12AT7. The rest I am not too sure. Also, Fender recommends biasing at 30mVDC. What would be your suggestions on the tubes and the biasing? Would there be any advantage to biasing any hotter and how far is safe? The amp has bias points on the outside so I can do it easily with a miultimeter. Thanks for your help.

Myles -

I am hoping you can be of help. I have a Sunn T50C amp. It has 2 6L6's, 7 12 AX7's and 1 12AT7. I am looking to retube. I presently have JJ's. Lately the amp has lost some life to its sound and has gotten noisier. I was thinking of getting the SED Winged C's for the power tubes, the new Tung Sol 12AX7 for V1, the Mullard 4024 for the 12AT7. The rest I am not too sure. Also, Fender recommends biasing at 30mVDC. What would be your suggestions on the tubes and the biasing? Would there be any advantage to biasing any hotter and how far is safe? The amp has bias points on the outside so I can do it easily with a miultimeter. Thanks for your help.

Bias too hot and the amp sounds harsh. Bias too low and it is grainy and does not develop full power.

The real Svets are great tubes and the preamp tubes ... that is personal taste.

I prefer a Brimar or RFT in V1 over a Tung Sol reissue ... the TS is a bit thin for my tastes and they do not provide spec current output unless hand selected by a great tube vendor rather than a good one.

The RFT and Brimars can be found at www.kcanostubes.com and considering preamp tubes last decades (good ones) they are a bargain.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Miles!!

I've just got hold of a second-hand 1996 Laney VC20-210 and the tubes haven't been changed since it was bought.

I'll get a set of 4 matched and branded EL84s as the power tubes, but I was wondering about the pre-amps.

I like *very* clean & loud on the clean channel (5751?), and I'd like a soft, smooth, punchy overdrive (12AT7 in V3?)on the drive channel. They are all unbranded ECC83s at the moment.

Bearing in mind I'm in the UK, what might you suggest?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hi Miles!!

I've just got hold of a second-hand 1996 Laney VC20-210 and the tubes haven't been changed since it was bought.

I'll get a set of 4 matched and branded EL84s as the power tubes, but I was wondering about the pre-amps.

I like *very* clean & loud on the clean channel (5751?), and I'd like a soft, smooth, punchy overdrive (12AT7 in V3?)on the drive channel. They are all unbranded ECC83s at the moment.

Geoff

Just some fresh output tubes in a matched quad to start .... EL84S #5-6.

Groove Tubes Europe c/o Guitar XS Ltd. - Doug Chandler or Tina Shapre

Thomas Point 12a Waterside

Upper Brents, Faversham, Kent, ME13 7AU

Kent, Email: Doug@guitarXS.com

Phone: +44 (0)1795 538877

Fax: +44 (0)1795 538877

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles -

Bias too hot and the amp sounds harsh. Bias too low and it is grainy and does not develop full power.

I prefer a Brimar or RFT in V1 over a Tung Sol reissue ... the TS is a bit thin for my tastes and they do not provide spec current output unless hand selected by a great tube vendor rather than a good one.

The RFT and Brimars can be found at www.kcanostubes.com and considering preamp tubes last decades (good ones) they are a bargain.

Thanks Myles. Any thoughts on KT66's vs 6L6's for this amp? Also, there are so many preamp tubes in this amp. Any idea as to the functions of each. I know (or think) V1 is for first gain stage channel 1, V5 is the reverb driver and V8 is the phase inverter. I am guessing V2 is for first gain stage channel 2. Not sure about V3, V4, V6 and V7.

Myles -

Thanks Myles. Any thoughts on KT66's vs 6L6's for this amp? Also, there are so many preamp tubes in this amp. Any idea as to the functions of each. I know (or think) V1 is for first gain stage channel 1, V5 is the reverb driver and V8 is the phase inverter. I am guessing V2 is for first gain stage channel 2. Not sure about V3, V4, V6 and V7.

Contact Fender ... they have documentation on this.

KT66's .... they are fine but do require a bias adjustment.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey!

I've just come across this forum and read some pretty interesting things on it. This is my question... I have a Carvin Nomad tube amp. I love it's clean channel, but it's OD is far more "gainy" for me. I would like to reduce it's gain. I tried replacing the stock tube on V1 with JJ 12au7, it worked miracles with OD chanell but unfortunately caused very low volume for clean and now I found it quite useless. Please tell, me what V2 is for (is it gain factor for OD channel) or is there any other way to reduce gain on OD and still keep the volume normal on clean (the OD channel is now even louder :)). Thank you soooo much! Greetings from Slovenia, Europe! :)

Hi Miles!!

Geoff

Just some fresh output tubes in a matched quad to start .... EL84S #5-6.

Groove Tubes Europe c/o Guitar XS Ltd. - Doug Chandler or Tina Shapre

Thomas Point 12a Waterside

Upper Brents, Faversham, Kent, ME13 7AU

Kent, Email: Doug@guitarXS.com

Phone: +44 (0)1795 538877

Fax: +44 (0)1795 538877

Thanks Miles.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Hey!

I've just come across this forum and read some pretty interesting things on it. This is my question... I have a Carvin Nomad tube amp. I love it's clean channel, but it's OD is far more "gainy" for me. I would like to reduce it's gain. I tried replacing the stock tube on V1 with JJ 12au7, it worked miracles with OD chanell but unfortunately caused very low volume for clean and now I found it quite useless. Please tell, me what V2 is for (is it gain factor for OD channel) or is there any other way to reduce gain on OD and still keep the volume normal on clean (the OD channel is now even louder :)). Thank you soooo much! Greetings from Slovenia, Europe! :)

V1 is the primary gain and tone stage. It is not true that V1 is used for the clean channel and V2 used for something else ... all is fed from V1.

I do not like an AU7 as a tone generator ... they are better suited to phase inverter use.

But ... in the end it is all personal taste.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr