Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hi Myles...

I was reading an old Thread about favorite small amps. I've got most you mentioned, but I don't have a Tolex Princeton....

A couple of quick questions;

Is the Princeton Reverb as good as the straight Princeton??

Blackface or silver??

Thanks!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by Junior 1:

Hi Myles,

Remember the non working VJ Special, well, new preamp and power tubes installed and ... low hum. Just low hum. Plug in a guitar and nothing. Volume setting does not effect the hum. What do you think?

Thanks

Tony

Could be lots of things.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by mdrs:

Hi Myles...

I was reading an old Thread about favorite small amps. I've got most you mentioned, but I don't have a Tolex Princeton....

A couple of quick questions;

Is the Princeton Reverb as good as the straight Princeton??

Blackface or silver??

Thanks!!

I like them all and Carl Verheyen has at least four Princeton Reverbs ... three BF and one SF and they all sound spectacular.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Junior 1:

Hi Myles,

Jensen advertises their Mod line as guitar and bass speakers. Is it possible for a speaker to accomplish both? What spec makes a bass speaker different from a guitar speaker?

Thanks

Tony

This is involved and it may be best for you to read the info on the Jensen website.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 2 weeks later...
I was surprised at how quiet its been in here too Myles :)

I think part of it is folks getting used to the new format.

I like the new format

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I own a Hughes & Kettner Puretone amp. I immediatly fell in love with its tone- clean, glassy, swirly tone that could be pushed into a soft overdrive. The amp came stock with Ruby EL34BSTR power and 7025/E83CC High Grade pre tubes.

Sometime last year the amp was service by a trusted amp tech, and he replaced all my tubes with Svetlanas. First thing I noticed was that my amp's volume significantly increase in output volume. Secondly, I lost that slight overdrive- when pushed, the amp had more of a crunch.

I was wondering two things. First, would you agree in my assessment in the difference between these two tubes? Secondly, I prefer the Ruby's tone and response. Should I go back to using the EL34Bstr, or would you recomend another make of tubes?

Hey Myles,

I own a Hughes & Kettner Puretone amp. I immediatly fell in love with its tone- clean, glassy, swirly tone that could be pushed into a soft overdrive. The amp came stock with Ruby EL34BSTR power and 7025/E83CC High Grade pre tubes.

Sometime last year the amp was service by a trusted amp tech, and he replaced all my tubes with Svetlanas. First thing I noticed was that my amp's volume significantly increase in output volume. Secondly, I lost that slight overdrive- when pushed, the amp had more of a crunch.

I was wondering two things. First, would you agree in my assessment in the difference between these two tubes? Secondly, I prefer the Ruby's tone and response. Should I go back to using the EL34Bstr, or would you recomend another make of tubes?

Tubes are really user taste and preference.

On the Svets ... are they real ones (winged C) or the Sovtek tubes that are labelled Svetlana? There is a big difference tone wise.

When you say "all the tubes" were replaced, did that include the preamp tubes? If there are Svets in the input gain stage this could be an issue.

Also, do you know the strength of the tube in some manner? As an example, in a GT tube there is a 1-10 rating and depending on bias this makes a difference too.

What is the plate voltage of the amp and where is the bias set in millamps at idle? Ask you tech this and write back here so I can review the setup.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I'm wondering how sensitive the Quiana Studio combo Hammond spring reverb units are. I can hear the springs rattle quite a bit even when walking softly in it's vicinity, let alone when my 5 year-old daughter goes hopping, skipping and jumping by! I'v e noticed that I get no reverb response at all from settings 1-3 on the reverb knob. I can't remember if it was always like that or not. Pre-amp tube perhaps?

Thanks

Myles,

I'm wondering how sensitive the Quiana Studio combo Hammond spring reverb units are. I can hear the springs rattle quite a bit even when walking softly in it's vicinity, let alone when my 5 year-old daughter goes hopping, skipping and jumping by! I'v e noticed that I get no reverb response at all from settings 1-3 on the reverb knob. I can't remember if it was always like that or not. Pre-amp tube perhaps?

Thanks

Rivera reverbs are some of the best sounding in the business. You could have a reverb driver tube that could be a bit less gainy and that may help.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

As far as I can tell, these are the power tubes are the real Svet's. I'm not certain about the pre's- I can't seem to figure out how to get them out of that metal casing. Rest assured, there are proper pre's in the preamp section.

As a matter of preference, I really loved the Rubies; they made my semi-hollow humbucker guitar sound shimmering and glassy. Whereas the Svets sound much more midrance, and with my guitar combo sounds too bluesy.

I am not certain about the current bias of the amp. My tech explained that this amp is auto-bias. As far as the pre-rating, I'd like something that had a clean tone, but would give some slight overdrive / warmth / grit when pushed with my Dos Mos booster pedal.

BTW does anyone have a link to a recomended business where I can make this tube purchase online?

Myles,

I just received a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and i have some questions about it:

Does it always come with a semi-open back and in your opinion, does the amp sound better with open or closed backing?

How much does a tube re-biasing job normally cost?

Finally, are there any quality speakers out there that could give me access to the British-flavor tone range?

Thanks in advance.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Myles

Thanks for the reply. My house has wooden floors and the amp sits on a wooden, carpeted furniture cart. Can the normal vibrations from movement in my home possibly damage the reverb unit?

Dave

You are fine. Normal vibrations will not harm anything. If the vibrations are too severe the side effect is that you will hear the reverb tank pick them up.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

As far as I can tell, these are the power tubes are the real Svet's. I'm not certain about the pre's- I can't seem to figure out how to get them out of that metal casing. Rest assured, there are proper pre's in the preamp section.

As a matter of preference, I really loved the Rubies; they made my semi-hollow humbucker guitar sound shimmering and glassy. Whereas the Svets sound much more midrance, and with my guitar combo sounds too bluesy.

I am not certain about the current bias of the amp. My tech explained that this amp is auto-bias. As far as the pre-rating, I'd like something that had a clean tone, but would give some slight overdrive / warmth / grit when pushed with my Dos Mos booster pedal.

BTW does anyone have a link to a recomended business where I can make this tube purchase online?

Which amp was this? I do not recall and if I mentioned a bias rating it was probably not a cathode biased amp.

On the tube covers... push slightly down and rotate about 1/8 turn CCW.

On tube vendors .... I have a few I really like on my GAB website in their own area.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I just received a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and i have some questions about it:

Does it always come with a semi-open back and in your opinion, does the amp sound better with open or closed backing?

How much does a tube re-biasing job normally cost?

Finally, are there any quality speakers out there that could give me access to the British-flavor tone range?

Thanks in advance.

These are nice amps.

The open back config of this amp has been the same since the sixties. Leave it alone .... it is a classic tone.

Many folks love a Celestion V30 in these amps if a slight British flair but these amps are voiced very differently than most Brit amps so you are never going to turn this amp into a Marshall or Vox as an example.

A bias adjustment is usually a tech's minimum bench charge. Depending on the tech and where they are, this can be $40 - $100.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Which amp was this? I do not recall and if I mentioned a bias rating it was probably not a cathode biased amp.

On tube vendors .... I have a few I really like on my GAB website in their own area.

Hughes & Kettner Puretone, which is a 25w Class A amp.

Thanks for the info!

Hughes & Kettner Puretone, which is a 25w Class A amp.

Thanks for the info!

Stick with mid range tubes ... 4,5,6 ratings if GT stuff.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I seen in some early post you gave advise to tame an amp.

I own a mesa boogie studio caliber. a little 20 watt gem.

I love everything about this amp but I would like to tame the

clean channel. get a little more volume before it breaks up.

but I still want it to break up a little if ya know what i mean.

thank for any advise you can give.

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Hi Myles,

I realize that I can't use an instrument cable to connect my Valve Junior head to its cabinet. Can I make my own cable using proper gauge speaker wire and 1/4 inch connectors? If so, what gauge?

Thanks

For an amp of that sort of low wattage 16 ga would be just fine.

You can even rip an old cord out of a lamp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Put a 5751 in V1. If that is not enough then a 12AY7.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally Posted By: the plan

Hi Myles,

Put a 5751 in V1. If that is not enough then a 12AY7.

Thanks Myles can't wait to try it

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!