Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Well here's the thing Myles. Us hispanic are very loud. I know it's funny but that's the truth. Anyway, we currently have a old fender that is like 120Watts I'm sure around there and we have a lot of difficulty hearing the guitar all the way in the back. Plus, we also have a keyboard, Bass, and a set of drums going off loud. I need something powerful. I don't think the Fender Hot Rod is Powerful enough. Do you still think it's a good idea to buy the Marshall, or do you recommend something else. I hope I'm not frustrating you.
Jose Torres

Originally posted by Cheo:

Well here's the thing Myles. Us hispanic are very loud. I know it's funny but that's the truth. Anyway, we currently have a old fender that is like 120Watts I'm sure around there and we have a lot of difficulty hearing the guitar all the way in the back. Plus, we also have a keyboard, Bass, and a set of drums going off loud. I need something powerful. I don't think the Fender Hot Rod is Powerful enough. Do you still think it's a good idea to buy the Marshall, or do you recommend something else. I hope I'm not frustrating you.

The Marshall will probably work fine.

When you say you have a 120 Fender is this a tube amp or solid state amp?

A tube amp will be perceived as MUCH louder for a given wattage than a solid state amp in most cases. The reasons for this are on my website.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

What are the differences between putting the tone stack before or after the imput stage?

Are there specific advantages or disadvantages to each type?

Why would you choose one over the other?

You have been helping me clarify a few things about my next amp purchase,

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Myles,

Found this on a local Craig's List. What, if anything, will these mods do to the sound of this amp?

black finish. in great shape. have added new jj power tubes, tube guard, and tube tamer to keep the tubes from rattling. a great blues/american rock amp. comes with upgraded footswitch and brown amp cover. 300 firm.

Is this a good price for this amp?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

What are the differences between putting the tone stack before or after the imput stage?

Are there specific advantages or disadvantages to each type?

Why would you choose one over the other?

You have been helping me clarify a few things about my next amp purchase,

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks,

Jeff

This would take about 15 pages of my writing to answer.

In a nutshell .... a cathode follower tone stack (Tweed bassman / Marshall plexi) will get brighter and more gainy as you hit the strings harder at a given setting.

A Fender BF tone stack will not.

Download my 200+ page tube primer off my website and start reading in there, probably in the second section.

And ... buy Dave Hunter's new amp book:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amp-Handbook-Understanding-Amplifiers/dp/087930863X/sr=8-1/qid=1160579953/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2974459-9329569?ie=UTF8&s=books

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by caprae:

Myles,

Found this on a local Craig's List. What, if anything, will these mods do to the sound of this amp?

black finish. in great shape. have added new jj power tubes, tube guard, and tube tamer to keep the tubes from rattling. a great blues/american rock amp. comes with upgraded footswitch and brown amp cover. 300 firm.

Either I missed something or I have no idea at all what this amp even is.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles,

Good Point. Peavey Classic 30
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Myles,

You can probably get a new Classic 30 at Guitar Center for about the same price.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi again myles. i was wondering if you've experimented with different speakers in at gt soul-o 45 combo. the speaker in there sounds ok, but with my sadowsky tele it's a little bright. i'm looking for something that won't break up and has a fat, focused bell-like tone. i'm using this amp for a wedding/corporate gig and we're doing alot of motown, dance, and funk music. 90% of the gig is all clean tone. thanks alot!!

jack

Originally posted by jbro:

hi again myles. i was wondering if you've experimented with different speakers in at gt soul-o 45 combo. the speaker in there sounds ok, but with my sadowsky tele it's a little bright. i'm looking for something that won't break up and has a fat, focused bell-like tone. i'm using this amp for a wedding/corporate gig and we're doing alot of motown, dance, and funk music. 90% of the gig is all clean tone. thanks alot!!

I love the Jensen C12 series which are not as bright as the GT 85 watt Celestion.

jack

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

Myles,

You can probably get a new Classic 30 at Guitar Center for about the same price.

$570 on AmericanMusical, SameDay and zZounds. Would those upgrades enhance or hurt this amp?

quote:

quote:

Myles,

$570 on AmericanMusical, SameDay and zZounds. Would those upgrades enhance or hurt this amp?

They would probably enhance the amp. The tubes alone are much nicer than stock issue.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by jbro:

myles,

i have the "classic clone" eminence in my soul-o 45 (not the celestion). i will check out the jensen c12. someone recommended the jensen neo speaker. what do you think of those? thanks.

jack

I like the Eminence a lot, more than the old speaker.

On the Jensen Neo ... that is personal taste.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I just got a Valve Junior head, and I want to upgrade the EL-84. What I am looking for is something a little slower to break up and has a brighter tone than the tube it came with. Got a recommendation, and if so, how much would it cost?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

A tube amp will be perceived as MUCH louder for a given wattage than a solid state amp in most cases. The reasons for this are on my website.

Well Myles in all honesty I'm not sure if it is a tube amp or a solid state amp. The amp says Princeton Chorus though I'm not sure if that helps. How can you tell the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp?

Jose Torres

Originally posted by Picker:

Hey Myles,

I just got a Valve Junior head, and I want to upgrade the EL-84. What I am looking for is something a little slower to break up and has a brighter tone than the tube it came with. Got a recommendation, and if so, how much would it cost?

You want an EL84S.

When you say slower to break up I think you are saying more clean headroom, so you want a #7.

Rating stuff is here: http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Rating.html

You should stay in the 4-7 range as the cathode bias resistor was chosen with a mid range tube in mind.

Cost depends on the vendor. Less than $25 for the most part

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Well Myles in all honesty I'm not sure if it is a tube amp or a solid state amp. The amp says Princeton Chorus though I'm not sure if that helps. How can you tell the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp?

If this amp says Priceton Chorus it is a solid state amp and if you are getting 120 watts off the back of the amp that is NOT the amp's wattage in output but it's wattage it uses out the wall plug.

A typical toaster is 4000 watts.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

When you say slower to break up I think you are saying more clean headroom, so you want a #7.

Rating stuff is here: http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Rating.html

You should stay in the 4-7 range as the cathode bias resistor was chosen with a mid range tube in mind.

Cost depends on the vendor. Less than $25 for the most part

Cool enough. Thanx. I'll check the GT site for 'em. Thanx much.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

If this amp says Priceton Chorus it is a solid state amp and if you are getting 120 watts off the back of the amp that is NOT the amp's wattage in output but it's wattage it uses out the wall plug.

Myles,

Ha, that was kind of funny. I'll admit I feel a little embarrased though. :) Anyway, well I tried looking for the amps wattage but I couldn't find it, so I went online and found out that the Fender amp has 2 25w amps. I think I'm better off buying that Marshall MG100HDFX. Along with the cabinet. You think that's better?

Jose Torres

Myles,

Ha, that was kind of funny. I'll admit I feel a little embarrased though. :) Anyway, well I tried looking for the amps wattage but I couldn't find it, so I went online and found out that the Fender amp has 2 25w amps. I think I'm better off buying that Marshall MG100HDFX. Along with the cabinet. You think that's better?

The Marshall is a pretty cool amp but Fender also has some strong solid state amps as well.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by jross68052:

Myles,

Heres my question on the week. On a Fender Prosonic, what pre-amp tubes are used for the clean channel and which are used for the drive channel? Or are all used for both?

Thanks,

Joe

Email me and ask for a print.

myspace.com/hotmonkeymusic

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles-

Haven't heard alot about the GT EL34M, whats the scoop? are they in production, how has the response been to them? Generally, how do they sound, say compared to the GT EL34Ls?

Thanks-

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Originally posted by marvar:

Myles-

Haven't heard alot about the GT EL34M, whats the scoop? are they in production, how has the response been to them? Generally, how do they sound, say compared to the GT EL34Ls?

Thanks-

I guess you have not looked at the GT website where they are featured on the first page.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I am not sure if you are still active in your forums but I will take a chance.

I have stumbled across yours amazing posts and have not been able to stop reading them. Thank you as you have already helped me.

I do have a couple of questions although I am not worthy of your kindness. As like others, I am a refugee from HC.

#1: What is the layout of the preamp section of a ENGL Blackmore? I am guessing that V1 is input and clean gain.

V2 is 'lead' or 'crunch'gain.

V3 is loop and possibly part of PI

V4 is PI and driver

(I am assuming 'PI' means phase inverter).

Reading the little info in the manual about selection criteria, ( http://www.engl-amps.com/manuals/E650-II-om.pdf )this may be more correct:

V1 = input and possibly clean

V2 = clean

V3 = 'lead' crunch

V4 = loop, driver, and PI

I am most likely wrong on both guesses, as I usually am about these things.

#2: My big problem is similar to a post you have already addressed. Below is part of the post that pertains to my problem:

Originally posted by deke1000:

Last summer, I purchased a 1979-80 Hiwatt DR504 (the "Custom 50" fifty watt, 2 input model from the Joyce era). Unfortunately, since then I've had issues with it. The main one being that after 15 or 20 minutes of moderate playing, the sound "dissipates" to a feeble that you can talk comfortably over.

Sometimes this is temporary -- and the amp will "catch its breath" and suddenly rejuvenate back to Hiwatt roar. Other times it won't, but will go back to normal after about 30 seconds of a rest on stand-by.

I have the same issue with my 2 month old ENGL Blackmore, only with mine, its like the standby gets engaged. Sound dose not fade, it just suddenly dies after 20-30 minutes. After reading your reply to the above quoted post, I guess maybe it is a PI issue? My ignorant self didnt mark which socket the stock ECC83s were in, and all 4 ENGL stamped stock look the same. So maybe I

put an unbalanced tube in V4. Would that be it?

P.S. All the amps I have had have the same issue as described in the quote above, to some degree.

I live in an older house with polorized ungrounded outlets. I always thought that this was the culprit. What are, if any, issues with this?

Thank you for helping me. I have asked this question several times at HC with no helpful replies.

Al

Hi Myles,

I acquired a box of NOS tubes. There are a lot that look just like ECC8* but I dont recognize any of the numbers.

Si-020

6gh8a

6kt8

4hm6

5hb7

5an8

spax7a

6an8

8it8

4bq7a

6au6

Are any of these useable in place of ECC8*? Some of the letter/numbers were worn off, so if an entry is obviously incorrect, that is why. Thanks for your time.

Al

Originally posted by ENGLFanboy:

Hi Myles,

I acquired a box of NOS tubes. There are a lot that look just like ECC8* but I dont recognize any of the numbers.

Si-020

6gh8a

6kt8

4hm6

5hb7

5an8

spax7a

6an8

8it8

4bq7a

6au6

Are any of these useable in place of ECC8*? Some of the letter/numbers were worn off, so if an entry is obviously incorrect, that is why. Thanks for your time.

Al

Nope

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr