Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90, Electro, MEK - The Latest Triple Decker

eric

I posted some of this in another thread, but I had not provided an update to the forum recently. Some December GAS inspired an MEK addition to the rig and I've been gigging with a triple-stack rig for over a month now. This is actually a record for me, as I usually float between "L" and "triple-decker" rigs, never really finding my way.

This new rig fits on any stage and works well for my stereo monitoring rig.

I've spent a little time this weekend tweaking the triple-decker rig. The main improvement was to manage the cables better. I run stereo to amps on either side of me, so that is 6 patch cords, along with AC and pedals. I already had everything cleanly snaked up for a two keyboard rig, but not for three.

So I have set it all up and added color coding, since there are so many cables and it is not always easy to trace them. I used blue, red and white tape for the patch cords of each keyboard, so I can easily repeat my setup without spending a lot of time. For example, the S90 has red tape by the L/R outputs and its cables are taped in red on each end. I have one snake for the left set of patch cords and one for the right, each color-coded. I just lay these over the stand and plug them in.

I also cleaned up the way in which I run the wall wart to the MEK. It it now velcroed onto my pedal board and snaked together with the pedals going into the rig.

Overall, it is a clean and classy looking rig that is extremely easy to set up from a logistics standpoint. It also sounds great too!

Here are some photos, starting at a distance and then getting closer to the details.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/triple_1.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/triple_2.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/triple_3.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/triple_4.JPG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, Eric, I noticed the Electro has blue tape, but white cables going to it. ("Clark, the twinkle lights aren't twinkling." "Thanks for noticing Dad." -Xmas Vacation)

I do the same thing, except each keyboard has different color tape, and all my footswitches are color coded as well (easier on a dark stage).

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Originally posted by cdkey:

Hello eric,

have you got any pics of that stand without the boards on it, what make is it? either the picture is at a funny angle or my eyes are shot, how is it braced?

Read this thread for more info and some photos. The bracing is provided by a turnbuckle that applies opposing tension to steel cables at the bottom of the stand. The more weight you put on it, the more stable it becomes.

Originally posted by tonysounds:

Um, Eric, I noticed the Electro has blue tape, but white cables going to it. ("Clark, the twinkle lights aren't twinkling." "Thanks for noticing Dad." -Xmas Vacation)

I do the same thing, except each keyboard has different color tape, and all my footswitches are color coded as well (easier on a dark stage).

T

Tony - good eyes. Actually, the white tape is under the right-angle cords on the Electro. That blue tape you see, if you look really closely, is labeled '122' and that is what instructs me which jack to use when I bring my Leslie and route through hard-panning. I could never remember which jack was for organ, so I put this label on there awhile ago.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by captainmri:

Hmmmm. My transverse colon is feeling some rumbling. Must be GAS.

Nope. Just another reminder that you're having an

ERIC MOMENT. :wave:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by RonL:

PS - I used a Nord Stage Compact and my PEK last weekend. Nice. Patch 24 - Jan Hammer lead - one of my all time favorite patches - and the PEK has to be the coolest looking keyboard in dim lighting ever!

:thu:

One of my favorite as well. I regularly solo on this one too!

Dave, I did not know that, excellent sound!!!

Nice setup Eric, I tried the 3 stack as well, and liked it, but the rest of the band didn't, cuz they couldn't see me.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Hey Eric:

If you add the length of the MEK and the Nord together, is it about the same as the length of the Yami? If yes, could you put the MEK and the Nord on a piece of wood on one shelf, above the Yami...so your band (and your fans) could see you?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

Hey Eric:

If you add the length of the MEK and the Nord together, is it about the same as the length of the Yami? If yes, could you put the MEK and the Nord on a piece of wood on one shelf, above the Yami...so your band (and your fans) could see you?

That was actually my first approach and I hoped it would work to avoid the 3-stack thing I have going on now. However, when placing the Electro and MEK side-by-side, this makes the Electro sit in a position that is either too far to the right or too far to the left (either MEK-Electro or Electro-MEK). I have my Electro 'centered' over the S90 so that the keys are more or less aligned and this makes moving from one board to the next easier.

Also, the MEK-Electro slab is probably 5" or 6" longer than the S90 and it looks a little bit odd (not to mention it takes up a lot of space horizontally). Plus, the wheels on the Yamaha are in the way if I want to keep the second row of keyboards close to me. If I used an S90ES, this would not be as much of a problem.

In the end, the triple-stack is not optimal, but it really does not block me all that much. The top of the MEK sits lower than 4' and the stand is Invisible... Also, I have been playing with my rig set up at a diagonal on the front of the stage, so I have clear line of sight to the band when I look left and line of sight to the crowd when I look left. The triple-stack really does not get too much in the way.

Regards,

Eric

that's a great rig!

Do you control the Nord with the Yammy? Lower organ manual and the e.piano sounds would play great on it I think.

Cool looking heavy-duty jack leads...

That stand looks immensely practical but I got to admit I never liked the look of the them. Something to do with the thin tubing and wiring not pleasing my eye. Looks more like something you would see in the laundry room for drying your clothes... ;)

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Hey Eric,

Nice looking rig, although it's probably a bit tall for me (5' 8" on a good day). Love those Invisible stands.....I use one for my scaled-down rig.

Question: How do you handle sheet music when you have the need?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by eric:

so I have clear line of sight to the band when I look left and line of sight to the crowd when I look left.

[/QB]

So you have some sort of weird Reganexorcistesque head spinning thing going on on stage Eric?

That would creep me out.... :eek::eek:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by Moonglow:

Hey Eric,

Nice looking rig, although it's probably a bit tall for me (5' 8" on a good day). Love those Invisible stands.....I use one for my scaled-down rig.

Question: How do you handle sheet music when you have the need?

I usually need sheet music once or twice on a gig when we are doing jazz or once-learned songs. I just have the pages ready and lay them on top of my Electro while I play the S90.

Originally posted by DanS:

so I have clear line of sight to the band when I look left and line of sight to the crowd when I look left.

So you have some sort of weird Reganexorcistesque head spinning thing going on on stage Eric?

That would creep me out.... :eek::eek: [/QB]

Whoops! :mad: Good catch. That should have said "...I have clear line of sight to the band when I look left and line of sight to the crowd when I look RIGHT .

Eric:

Sweet-looking setup you got there! :thu: That MEK sure is purdy.

Question for you: What did you use to snake your cables? I looked into the Audioskin product that Keyboard Mag mentioned some time ago (and which was the subject of an earlier Forum thread), but, as cool as it seems, it strikes me as pretty darn expensive at $17 for each five-foot increment. I'm curious what you used to tame the spaghetti. (I can't really tell from the pictures.)

Thanks,

Noah

Originally posted by NoahZark:

Eric:

Sweet-looking setup you got there! :thu: That MEK sure is purdy.

Question for you: What did you use to snake your cables? I looked into the Audioskin product that Keyboard Mag mentioned some time ago (and which was the subject of an earlier Forum thread), but, as cool as it seems, it strikes me as pretty darn expensive at $17 for each five-foot increment. I'm curious what you used to tame the spaghetti. (I can't really tell from the pictures.)

Thanks,

Noah

I just use those little black zip ties you buy at Lowe's. Get all the cables lined up correctly and then pull the zip ties around them every 2' or so, then clip off the extra. For some of my cables, I encased them in this flexible black ribbed stuff you can buy on the electric supply aisle in Lowe's as well. It gives a nice clean look, but is not quite as easy to pack it away. So I only use that on the short runs, like my pedals and the AC cords.

Regards,

Eric

I just use those little black zip ties you buy at Lowe's. Get all the cables lined up correctly and then pull the zip ties around them every 2' or so, then clip off the extra. For some of my cables, I encased them in this flexible black ribbed stuff you can buy on the electric supply aisle in Lowe's as well. It gives a nice clean look, but is not quite as easy to pack it away. So I only use that on the short runs, like my pedals and the AC cords.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks!

Noah

Archived