Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name a popular song you just can't understand why it's so loved

stepay

Someone mentioned "Imagine". Here's a funny piece deconstructing the lyric from a few years back:

Imagining "Imagine"

On the anniversary of John Lennon's death, it's worth taking a look at the gibberish in his beloved anthem.

by Joel Engel

..snip...

I think Mr. Engel doesn't have much imagination.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How bout artists changing styles to try to stay on top?! Take KISS and their song "I was made for loving you" as an example. Blech!!

My current peeve for that is Gwen Stefani. But everyone's done it. The Stones, Rod Stewart and especially the BeeGees went disco. Everyone unplugged for awhile. Dylan went electric. Look at Santana: get a popstar to sing a tune over the same old guitar lick. If you can't do pop anymore, it's time to go "jazz" or the "great american songbook." There goes Rod Stewart again...

This strand could go on and on.

I'd argue that the Stones, especially Mick, like disco. I've seen Keith say that one of the compromises is that he takes Mick to clubs so he can dance, and Keith sits at the bar.

To say that Dylan went electric "to stay on top" is just bizarre.

OTOH, I agree with you that ol' BigNose (as Ian McLagan refers to him) is a sellout. Heck, the guy will start rumors of a Faces reunion just to generate interest, and the rest of the guys will have no idea what he's talking about because they hadn't heard from him in years.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Most pop songs, if you take away the context, are ridiculously bad. Most were probably written in 5 minutes to make a buck exploiting some cultural phenomenon, and they resonate to anybody who was an adolescent at the time, and pretty much nobody else.

I don't mind hearing all kinds of mindless music because it reminds me of summers in Oregon when I was a kid .... but I'm sure if I had a brain injury that wiped out those memories I'd think the songs were all crap, just like every pop song written after the year 1979 :)

Quote by Floyd Tatum:

"I think Mr. Engel doesn't have much imagination."

Joel Engle doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I wonder what famous song or lyric he composed? He's a self appointed critic that has the gray matter of a flea. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't mind hearing all kinds of mindless music because it reminds me of summers in Oregon when I was a kid .... but I'm sure if I had a brain injury that wiped out those memories I'd think the songs were all crap, just like every pop song written after the year 1979 :)

So Paul Simon's "Boy In the Bubble" is crap?

Or the Police's "Synchronicity II"?

Or Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven"?

Or Radiohead's "Paranoid Android"?

and those are just top-40 pop songs... ;)

Methinks your retrovertigo is showing. There were a whole lot of crappy pop songs written before 1979, a whole lot of crappy pop songs written since 1979, and there'll be plenty more written long after you and I are both dead, and there'll be plenty of folks around to complain about them, too! :thu:

Hey, I'm a fan of John Lennon, I just agree that "Imagine" is naive at best and rather hypocritical. And why didn't they at least use a piano that was in tune?

Joel Engle doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I wonder what famous song or lyric he composed? He's a self appointed critic that has the gray matter of a flea. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

C'mon, you can do better than this! A straw man argument (who knew you had to be a famous songwriter to critique songs? I suppose we'd better delete this whole thread) and an ad hominem attack all in one short reply!

Feel free to point out logical faults or inconsistencies with the article.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Mr. Dregs: The problem is, Engle takes something that was conceptual and imposes his own literal translation of it.

Kinda like the fundies who translate the bible word-for-word and then beat people over the head with "young earth creationism". :rolleyes:

Ok, I can see that. You mean you're one of those sorts that believes in evolution? An attorney friend in Kansas (see, I am open-minded), has been involved in the Bar Show. If you recall, the state BOE passed a mandate for the teaching of creationism a few years back. I suggested they do a parody song using "Revolution":

"You say you wanna teach evolution, well you know, not in the Sunflower State..."

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Originally posted by stepay:

[QBNever knew that Wonderful Tonight was such a bad one for so many. ...

Candle In The Wind [/QB]

Wonderful Tonight and Candle In The Wind also make me want to punch myself in the balls.

I used to like Wonderful Tonight, until I had to play/sing it 6 nights a week for eight years, 93-2001 and many times after. During that time I bought the three Clapton albums that Phil Collins produced from the eighties and there's songs on those albums that are way better than this piece of crap. It disgusts me that we get all these Clapton requests and every band I'm in always has to do it, other than something cool like Layla or Bad Love, or Forever Man or something off August, my favorite album. Why not Miss you, which has some of his best guitar work post Cream, or the incredible Tina Turner/Clapton duet, (co written by keyboard ace Greg Phillinganes, ) Tearing us Apart? And now that I'm thinking about it, add Cocaine to the list of stupid songs. Bad to the Bone is another one. I'm wierd though as most of those mentioned in this thread don't bother me. (although I'm not driving around with them in my cd player either)

John

Know what's "driving" me crazy right now?? Stevie Ray Vaughn's Pride & Joy on a Nissan commercial. I was already tired of hearing every blues bar band do it, now it's just beyond saturation.

Here for the gear.

Archived