Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bösendorfer CEUSmaster

WestHarp

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek::freak:

I guess the action is fantastic. From the dimensions of the instrument, I guess they put some kind of real grand piano action into it.

I don't have 25000 Euro in my pocket, nor a couple of roadies. But if the sound is very high-quality, what about a rack version... :D

Originally posted by Andre Westarp:

The "holy grail" of stage pianos? Who knows...but the price will be ca. EUR 25000 ($ 32800). It HAS to be perfect for that...

Only 88 keys? Scandal!

Anyway, thanks for the update.

I would love to hear and play that thing.

BTW, i just listened to Egberto Gismonti's solo piano album entitled "Alma" where this prodigy plays a Bosendorfer grand - what a huge sound (especially the bass notes!) on the hands of such a monster!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• 1 month later...

I wish there were more of these types of pianos to choose from. I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe the Yamaha GranTouch goes for about 7000 Euros.

Twenty-five thousand Euros seems like an awful amount of money. What can an action cost?

I would love to try one and if I did fall in love with it, I'd trade in my GranTouch.

I've written a letter to Steinway asking them to develope such a piano but my letter went unanswered. Actually Renner makes the actions for Steinway, I wonder who makes the actions for Bosendorfer?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I asked the Renner USA guy one time about a replacement action for my Steinway B. I believe he told me about $2,000. Now it's in a kit form and requires extensive time on the technician's part to put it all together. And I don't believe that's the actual keys, rather the mechanical parts of the action. Still, that's the least efficient and most costly way of putting an action together. Obviously a factory can build an action much more efficiently and cost effective.

The price is hilarious. It's obviously a build-to-order operation. For the Elton Johns of the world I suppose.

Where is the stand and pedals? Are you supposed to put this on an X-stand and attach the Fatar three pedal? I mean that's an important aspect of a true piano controller. Maybe the stand and pedals are extra!! :eek:

I have a Yamaha G2 MIDI Grand which cost half of this but it's a real piano and probably 80% of the cost is related to things the Bosendorfer doesn't have.

Busch.

I have a Steinway B too, bought new in 1997. I'm glad to know they have an action kit - my technician didn't tell me that. But I hope I won't ever have to replace the action.

Something tells me they have a LOT to do before this CEUS is street ready. Bosendorfer makes what - 400 pianos or so a year? So maybe they'll make 100 or so of these. Still, it'll be very interesting to see how this turns out.

I might be wrong, but I don't think your going to find one of these at your local Bosendorfer dealer any time soon. The next time your tour takes you by the factory, you can stop in. Short of that you'll probably need to book a flight to Vienna.

Off the bat I'd say that road case isn't close to being up to snuff. The function of a road case is not just to protect an instrument from getting banged up on the outside but also to absorb the vibrations from transportation. The thin pieces of foam here and there aren't going to absorb much of anything.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Off the bat I'd say that road case isn't close to being up to snuff. The function of a road case is not just to protect an instrument from getting banged up on the outside but also to absorb the vibrations from transportation. The thin pieces of foam here and there aren't going to absorb much of anything.

Busch.

Have you ever seen a nine footer moved? They just wrap a few moving blankets to protect the finish and strap it to the inside wall of a moving truck.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

That's true about piano moving. But then the piano has to recover, be re-tuned and adjust to its new environment - like a patient recovering from surgery.

Piano moves are far less frequent - with stage keyboards being moved all the time, the CEUS would be like an infant in intensive care.

I play in hotels all the time and their pianos get moved all the time from one room to the next. I think most of us play on pianos that do not have health insurance.

• 1 month later...

Archived