Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on carrying little stuff to gigs?

Tusker

Lately I am finding that I have a lot of little stuff (cables, midi processors, wallwarts, mixers, pedals, efx boxes,) that I haven't racked or put in a keyboard case.

What do you use to cart this kind of stuff around?

Jerry

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some photos to help you along the way towards organization of small items. You should invest in a dedicated case for all your cables and pedals. In spite of all the MASSIVE GAS-induced changes to my rig over the years, this is one thing that has remained very stable (along with my Invisible Stand). I've had this particular brief case since 1987 and I've used this type of cable organization scheme since then.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/brief_1.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/brief_2.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/brief_3.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/brief_4.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/brief_5.JPG

Regards,

Eric

It sounds like you might have too much stuff for this approach but what I've done is to velcro (industrial velcro) pouches on to the insides of the rack covers. This is mainly for cables and other smaller items. It one less thing to forget and one less to carry.

Busch.

I have a softside rolling suitcase that handles all of my cables, pedals, etc. The extension cord with the power cables for my boards stays connected to my Furman power supply, and is stored in the back of the rack, along with the main power extension cord.

It would be nice to use a case like Eric's but I've got too many cables and gadgets.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I have an old suitcase I got from the Goodwill store for 5 bucks. It's semi soft, and is about 18x12x8, perfect for holding my pedals and extra stuff. Most of my cables are premounted in my rack so I just pull that little snake out and run it to my boards.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I use a 3' x 3' x 2' Rubbermaid tool box to hold my pedals, cables, power cords and hot spot vocal monitor. It works great, is indestructable, is waterproof and has a flat, locking top that will support my vocal monitor and, most importantly, my beer.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Blue JC:

and, most importantly, my beer.

That's the one problem with the suitcase I use. I have to carry a seperate table for my beer.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Many years ago I bought a flight case for my cables and loose ends. All my speaker cables, 1/4" cables, mic, plastic brackets for the speaker stands, sustain pedal ... ear plugs, everything goes in that case which is roughly a cubic foot in size.

Invest some money in a flight cse and be sure to spray piant your name on the it as well. I must have bought that case 20+ years ago and it will out live me.

Spend some money and buy a case.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Wealth of experience here ...Thanks for the great advice. Keep it coming.

Last night I was putting the stuff in my car when I realized I left the power chord for the keyboard mixer back on stage. So I go get it, and chuck it on top of everything else. I try to shut the trunk and whack the cable. No it's not too badly damaged. But I realized how stupid it is not to think through your packing strategy.

I used to have a camera bag with padding, and that worked great for little stuff like mics and direct boxes. At this point, I am thinking, simple canvas bag for cables. Larger bag with foam (where do you buy foam?) for odd shaped electronics. I really like Eric's tie technique for cables. You got me thinking there bud ...

Cheers,

Jerry

I use an old Amerian Tourister briefcase that resembles a small suite case. I even ran over it once and it fell out of a trailer on HWY 40 at 65mph and though it is dinged up nothing inside has been hurt. WOW I just realised it is the oldest pc of gear in my rig.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

The velcro cable straps are a must have :thu:

We have a lot of XLR cables .We link them end to end on these according to size .We have stickers on them marked with the footage. So we put 50 footers on the 50' reel and so forth. It makes running mike cables easy and easy to pick back up

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-982585reg.jpg

Originally posted by Tusker:

Wealth of experience here ...Thanks for the great advice. Keep it coming.

Last night I was putting the stuff in my car when I realized I left the power chord for the keyboard mixer back on stage. So I go get it, and chuck it on top of everything else. I try to shut the trunk and whack the cable. No it's not too badly damaged. But I realized how stupid it is not to think through your packing strategy.

I used to have a camera bag with padding, and that worked great for little stuff like mics and direct boxes. At this point, I am thinking, simple canvas bag for cables. Larger bag with foam (where do you buy foam?) for odd shaped electronics. I really like Eric's tie technique for cables. You got me thinking there bud ...

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry, right now I use a custom-made (customized it myself) cordura backpack which houses my Mackie VLZ mixer, my VoiceLive, my sustain pedal, my Micron's wall wart, two MIDI Solutions boxes and a host of audio, power and Midi cables. The inside of the backpack is filled out with "e.v.a." (Not sure if you guys call it by its chemical initials like here - it is that light rubber of which diving and surfing suits were made until some years ago) plates which I have cut to fit the Voice Live and Mixer snugly, with holes for all buttons, etc. The backpack's zipper runs all around it, and once the big items are inside the e.v.a. shell it is incredibly rugged and yet very light :thu: . The small stuff is placed on the external pockets of the backpack.

I made a similar custom soft case to carry my Micron, only with Formica plates on the outermost layer on each side, which safeguards it from any poking shocks.

I will get rid of al this as soon as I have my dreamed rack system, which should have enough free space for storing the few planned cables and sustain pedal inside it.

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

I use an old Amerian Tourister briefcase that resembles a small suite case. I even ran over it once and it fell out of a trailer on HWY 40 at 65mph and though it is dinged up nothing inside has been hurt. WOW I just realised it is the oldest pc of gear in my rig.

Why does that image of the Gorilla jumping up and down on the suitcase come to mind. :D I'm showing my age

Jerry,

I have a little green gym bag for my 10 spot power strip, extension, keyboard stand crosslinks, sustain pedal, spare patch cords and some tools. Then, for my power supplies (3 wall warts and a line lump), two midi cables, 1/4" audio snake, two sound modules and electrical tape I use an old lap top case. It's soft and has compartments that are adjustable via velcro. A little organization helps prevent leaving things behind because you will generally pack the same way every time so you'll notice if something is missing.

Regards,

Joe

I've been using a plastic tool chest I picked up at Lowes. There's a reasonable size "chest" area that I carry pedals, power strips and cables in - along with a lift out tray that I use for wall warts, batteries, a flashlight, a couple of small tools, Rock'n Roll tape, etc.) It strong enough to sit on, stacks well in the truck and even has wheels that go eash on the back. They're a regular sale item for somewhere between $30-$40. I'm using three of 'em now - one for keyboard stuff - and two for cables and PA stuff.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

I've been using a plastic tool chest I picked up at Lowes. There's a reasonable size "chest" area that I carry pedals, power strips and cables in - along with a lift out tray that I use for wall warts, batteries, a flashlight, a couple of small tools, Rock'n Roll tape, etc.) It strong enough to sit on, stacks well in the truck and even has wheels that go eash on the back. They're a regular sale item for somewhere between $30-$40. I'm using three of 'em now - one for keyboard stuff - and two for cables and PA stuff. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101939-82673-29005&detail=cr&lpage=none

I've been using a plastic tool chest I picked up at Lowes. There's a reasonable size "chest" area that I carry pedals, power strips and cables in - along with a lift out tray that I use for wall warts, batteries, a flashlight, a couple of small tools, Rock'n Roll tape, etc.) It strong enough to sit on, stacks well in the truck and even has wheels that go eash on the back. They're a regular sale item for somewhere between $30-$40. I'm using three of 'em now - one for keyboard stuff - and two for cables and PA stuff. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101939-82673-29005&detail=cr&lpage=none

I use a gym bag for wires/cables, sustain pedals, etc., and a Star/Anvil-type brief case for more delicate items (e.g., power supplies, flashlight, sheet music, rolling papers). The zippers break on the gym bag every few years, but I've found it to be great way to carry this stuff. Just be sure to neatly wrap your wires otherwise it turns into a tangled mess.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Over the past several years, I have picked up these metal cases online at Ebay. They are constructed out of aluminum, and come with a diced foam pack, which allows me to create recessed areas for all my pedals, power supplies, etc. I've never had a short in my power supplies or a pedal go out.

My wife tells me I'm quite anal about these cases, but for the price you can't go wrong.

I pulled an example from Ebay, but this is about $14 more than I normally spend on my cases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALUMINUM-BLACK-LAPTOP-CAMERA-TOOL-BOX-HARD-CASE-BAG_W0QQitemZ170060670390QQihZ007QQcategoryZ83861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/d1/4b/11/30493457.JPG

$35

Carries my module, pedal, music stand, stand light, power strip, gig book, adaptors, cables, everything...

http://www.ampride.net/ebay/2004/9922Blk_3.jpg

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Jazz+ that is nearly identical to the one I use.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It's the best gig bag solution I have ever used. It stands up and it rolls!

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived