Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

for the theory guys out there

suraci

Identify a popular seventies song ( since forgotten ) that is in a Major Key, yet NOT ONCE has a CHORD ON THE BASS NOTE of THE KEY it clearly delineates!! I always enjoyed this tune, and still do.

Key is Bb major. Singer? A Chicago "blues jazz "turned R&B, jingle and pop singer. Not once do you hear a Bb major or minor or Bb anything in this pop/jazzy tune.

This always blew my mind when I used to play it, the bridge is a iii7 vi7 ii7 V7 like Perdido and all those Rhythm tunes of the day.

It has a V, a IV7, a II7, a III7 , a VI7 etc but no ONE CHORD, amazes me.

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no ambiguity about the key either, like Unforgetable ( which i cannot even spell let alone analyze ) or Stella.
The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Suraci, I already saw your answer but you edited it (I realize because you practically gave the answer). So I will not give the answer.

I don't know the chord changes to that tune so it would have been impossible to guess. So this is less of a theory question than a "know that tune" kind of question.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

What becomes of the Broken Hearted has a root position I in the verse. And it's from the 60's. And it changes keys between the verse and the chorus.

But it was my first guess too, LOL...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

OOOHH child, things are gonna get easier...

that song doesn't hit the I chord until the very end and it's so damn nice when it does. It even changes keys back and forth without ambiguity. Check out the trey anastasio live version...

Good call, Root, though Ooh Child has a I, it's just in first inversion. Also a key change between verse and chorus. So it fits the general description (I think) but misses a few details - unless suraci's wrong on them?

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I guess there are a few. There is a Motownish song ( maybe Philadelphia sound ) that I believe has words " When ever you ??... I'll be around"

It goes back and forth between the IV and V, starting on IV for a bar then V. It ends on IV.

But the song I am teasing you with, goes All over the harmonic map. It uses the familiar harmony of the Bridge to Rhythm Changes, but manages to escape the I !!!!!!

A II, a !!! a IV etc, it never hits the one.

Originally posted by suraci:

I guess there are a few. There is a Motownish song ( maybe Philadelphia sound ) that I believe has words " When ever you ??... I'll be around"

It goes back and forth between the IV and V, starting on IV for a bar then V. It ends on IV.

The Spinners?

Ok, time for the answer to this....lol

and...

Dafduc says

"What becomes of the Broken Hearted has a root position I in the verse"

And as for my guess, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted. The verse is in Bb and they never hit a Bb or (root I) during the bass. And when they change keys up to C, they never land on a C (root I) either.

Originally posted by DafDuc:

Good call, Root, though Ooh Child has a I, it's just in first inversion. Also a key change between verse and chorus. So it fits the general description (I think) but misses a few details - unless suraci's wrong on them?

I think of that chord as the IIIm. If we're in C, I don't really hear the C note, I hear a B...

Actually I'm not listening to it, just going from memory, so maybe I'm off, but I'd definitely call it F Em Dm Gsus4

Archived