Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your oldest synth/ROMpler in regular use?

ProfD

What is the oldest keyboard/synth in your collection that still gets used on a regular basis?

The oldest ROMpler I have is a JV-1080 but it might as well be in the box.

Also, while analog synths made a huge resurgence, I doubt that DX7s, M1s and D50s will do the same.

I rarely see an 01W, EX5/7, Trinity, JD800 or XP80 these days.

Where is the final resting place for old ROMplers? ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Fantom76 that I refuse to give up because the keyboard and controller features are worth more than what people are willing to pay for a ROMpler that old. They sell for $600 now and that it a great price for a 76 key synth action keyboard with quality feel and decent controller features.

I also have an Emu XL-7 command station. Don't record with it any more but it is a very handy box for throwing stuff together.

In the closet I have a Korg WavestationSR, Yamaha A5000 (sampler) and a couple Emu's. They don't get much use at all and need to be sold.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The oldest one I use regularly is a Roland D-70, although since I got my XV-3080, I now use it as a controller. I have an old Yamaha Electone which is 30 years old, and my first synths, a Univox Mini Korg, and a Crumar Stringman, both well into their 30's

Oh yeah, my Starck baby is 1956.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by ProfD:

What is the oldest keyboard/synth in your collection that still gets used on a regular basis?

Roland MKS-70.

Originally posted by ProfD:

Also, while analog synths made a huge resurgence, I doubt that DX7s, M1s and D50s will do the same.

Well as FM synthesis goes that's not really true--just look at FM7 and FM8 to start with.

Korg released the M1 software, but, for that 'Korg sound,' the Tritons are the latest incarnation that's a staple (OASYS technology isn't "everywhere" yet.)

D-50 is available on the VC-1 card and Eric Persing has called Atmosphere a development of the ideas (layering etc.) used in the D-50. Regardless of just how good Atmosphere is, it seems demand for that kind of sound is still strong... if Roland did a plug-in version, I think it would sell a fair few copies.

JD800 still costs a fair bit on eBay.

One difference is that analog synthesis is costly and therefore rapidly went away as cheap digital arrived, and getting "that" sound is a constant question of chasing it, or seeking out/paying out for analog gear... (Though I think some digital synths like Kurzweils do a good job of having a nice warm sound with depth and movement... not "the same" exactly but decent anyway.) Also bear in mind that while Jupiter 8s and Moogs are revered... others are long forgotten.

The other is that soft synths and sample libraries of the week have been promoted as the "latest hot thing," but I think many have either forgotten, or never directly experienced, how beautiful the sounds of a D-50 are by comparison. Albino 3, for instance, is OK and can do (as shown by the many different presets) a lot of different sounds, but I've never had drool running out of my mouth listening to it.

I'm still regularly using a Korg DW-8000. In fact, it's still one of my favorite synths. It gets a lot more use than my Korg X5, which I'm only using as a controller at the moment.

Soon I expect to be regularly using a Roland JX-3P, which I'm pretty sure is a little older than the DW-8000. It was the first synth I owned and was just recently returned to me.

I have an Ensoniq SD1 built in September 1991 that is still my main board. I use it's internal sounds and it's sequencer and control a JV1080 with it. It's starting to sound a little dated but still works fine, except for the aftertouch, which is non-existant.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Oldest Synth/Rompler still in regular use, Korg N364, at least 9 years.

Oldest keyboard, Story & Camp Pump Organ circa 1890

Oldest record player RCA Victrola 1926

Oldest Me - 1957 :D

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by ABECK:

JV-1080. Rarely used, but I can't see myself parting with it.

I'm in the opposite situation. I've tried 'offing' mine on several occasions with no luck.

Looks like I'll end up trading it towards a piece of software or something. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oldest keyboard I still have is a Hohner Clavinet C from the early 1970s. I don't use it as much as I should... my Clavinet these days is usually my Vintage Keys expansion board in my Fantom S. I still use my CP80 at home a lot.

At work, my expanded 1080 is still hanging in there. Maybe I'll replace it with a Motif ES Rack this winter... a change of pace from all my Roland stuff. The thought of all the reprogramming has held me back, not funds.

Oldest keyboard is a late 60's early 70's Gibson G101 for use with my Doors tribute band Peace Frog. Oldest rompler is a Korg O5RW half rack module. Oldest non vintage keyboard is a RD-500 of which I now own two. Other rompler is a Proteus 2000, newest keyboard is an M06.

JH

The oldest keyboard/synth I own is either the

E-H Mini Synth or my Estey organ. Sorry, but I can't give my address. Radiohead would come in the night and try to nick my Estey. Now that I think about it, they'd prolly try to roll on my EH. I'd hate to have to give that android something to be paranoid about.

chip

The oldest synth I still use is my Korg Polysix (1982). I had MIDI added some years ago and currently have been using it for sound effects and some string sounds for a science fiction film soundtrack.

I still have a Roland MKS-100 (rackmount S-10 sampler from 1987) which I use on occasion. Wouldn't get diddly-squat for selling it so I keep it.

Still play my Yamaha Electone D-3 organ (1972) as well (same as DanS's I believe).

My Baldwin acoustic piano is not as old a some of the others posted on this forum! I got it in 1964 when I started lessons.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Home built monosynth; 1981

Logan String synth mk2; bought second hand 1982

Casio FZ1 sampler; bought new 1988

Korg DW 8000; bought new 1988

still using the same ten digits I got way back in 1962!

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

All in use:

1992 - Korg Wavestation SR

1993 - Roland JD990

1996 - Roland A90ex

1997 - Roland A70ex

Y2k? - Motif 8

- MotifRack

- Fantom XR

- Muse Receptor (x2)

- Nord Electro

- Nord Stage 88

- Hammond Xk1

Gone, but not forgotten:

Oberheim Matrix 1000 (x2)

Roland JV1080

Roland JV1000

Roland XP80

Korg CX3 (analog)

Voce V5

Roland S550

Roland Juno 106

MiniMoog

Arp Solus

Moog Satellite

Arp Pro-Soloist

Roland RS09

Hammond M3

Hammond C3 cutdown

Hammond B3 cutdown

Hammond A100 cutdown

Hammond Xk3

Hammond XK2

Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73 (bought new in 76!)

Rhodes Suitcase 88

Rhodes Stage (x4)

Wurlie 200A (x2)

Clavinet Duo

Yamaha CP30

Roland JD800 (x4!)

Roland MKS20 (x2)

Kurzweil MicroPiano

Roland A80

Kurzweil SP76

Roland XV88

Yamaha CP80 (never worked, a "gift")

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived