Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tall Keyboard Players - need a decent stand - Help -

Waynester

Hi guys and gals

i have the Silver Ultimate Apex Keyboard Stand that i use at my gigs with my Fantom X8 and Motif ES7

its very convenient because of the built in microphone boom and it doesn take up hardly any space onstage...

but for the last year or so, i suffer from back ache..

im 6 foot 3 inches tall.. damm it! LOL

with the height set at max for each tier, im having to play my X8 fairly low down on the bottom tier.. and with the ES7 on top, i then cant see the screen of the X8 without having to bend down and look under, i also think i could play better on my X8 if this board was higher..so my hands were more level with it..

so a lot of the time during my gigs im constantly bending down due to this problem..

does anyone know of a stand they could recommend that would eliminate all these problems?

would like something that doesnt take up a lot of room, is a lot higher when 2 keyboards are on it, and has a built in Microphone boom on it?

thoughts?

i cant go on with this damm bending down nonsense!

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey man, im in England, and isnt it a pain in the butt having to spend your life bending down! haha

i was thinking of buying a Quiklok M92

but not sure if thats going to be any better, or if you can attach a microphone boom to it?

i just added some videos of Saturdays gig

my back was killing me!

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Waynester1973

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

You're not alone. I'm 6'2 and using a single Apex stand with THREE keyboards. I have a Fantom X6 on top, Triton Extreme 61 in the middle and Korg CX3 on the bottom. I use the CX3 least of all, but it's still a nightmare trying to do stuff like Boston's Foreplay/Longtime hunched over. I stick with this stand because it's convenient (power strip, mixer and cables are attached with velcro so I can set up in less than 5 minutes).

I think i started a good topic!

heres a link to that Quiklok Stand i might get

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/12039_l.jpg

still arent sure though!

dont no if id be better off or not?

doesnt look as good as the Apex, nothing does!

but my backs more important :-)

should work now, hopefully!

Wayne, I'm 6'5" and LOVE my Standtastic stand. My two boards are at the ideal height, and I don't even have them up as high as they could go. They also sell a mic boom that attaches easily, which I use. It's also more sturdy than the Invisible and Ultimate A-frame stands I've used. Highly recommended.

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

what model do you have buddy?

im looking at their website right now...

they look ugly as hell, lol

but obviously, beggars cant be choosers!

so its either bad back and nice looking stand

or good back and butt ugly stand, he he

Quik-Lok Z-72 is the best. It's heavy and awkward to pack and carry, but it works great and goes up high. It's also rock steady. I don't know about Quik-Lok's US distribution system at this time, though. Does anyone have an update?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Why use only one keyboard stand? Seems like using a different stand for each board would solve the issue with no problem. You know, make a V out of em.

I find tier stands to be difficult, but you can get a really sweet angle down with em. I personally prefer that for back, wrist, and aestetic purposes.

http://myspace-959.vo.llnwd.net/01193/95/95/1193885959_l.jpg

To acheive that effect, I use a normal X style stand with added second tier arms and reverse them. Might be something to think about?

Dick 6'1"

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

this is a suggestion when all else fails.

You may find your favourite stand just doesnt go high enough but does everything else well.

Perhaps a solution is a floor base made from the lid of a keyboard case lid or an effects lid or a purpoes built gear case that doubles as a base.

Yes it can work ok but does sometimes mean placement of pedals are annoying

alternative is to actually bolt or preferably weld blocks under the existing legs.

Done correctly would not impede pedal location and can be just as stable and made even more stable by actually increasing the footprint of each leg but not extending into footpedal territory.

this is if buying a new stand doesnt fix your problem without creating other problems.

Okay guys, im thinking about the SPYDER PRO..

looks quite good, im sure the extra height will be fine for me..

the 6 inches extra should help my back problem...

is it as stable as the Apex? it looks very fragile and lightweight, or am i imagining it?

im also interested in the QUIKLOK M92 aswell..

i just cant try any of them with my 2 keyboards on.. which is a pain!

both these stands dont have a microphone boom attachment, so i guess you cant have it all..

thanks

Originally posted by Wayne On Keys:

Okay guys, im thinking about the SPYDER PRO..

looks quite good, im sure the extra height will be fine for me..

the 6 inches extra should help my back problem...

is it as stable as the Apex? it looks very fragile and lightweight, or am i imagining it?

Wayne, I have no opinion on the Quik Lok stand mentioned, but I'll tell you this -- I put my K2600AES (72 lbs.) on a Spyder Pro, and didn't want to let go. It seemed very unstable, but in all fairness to K&M, this was a working prototype they were using for market research. So...it's hard to say.

I know that Solid Stand (www.solidstand.com) has a motorized stand that goes fairly high and has a tremendous amount of attachment possibilities (based on Quik Lok hardware), but unless they've figured out a way to minaturize that product, it's not feasible unless you have a road crew to move it in and out and do setup. I will say that it is the absolutely most solid single stand (pun intended) that I've ever used. For my AES now, I simply use two Apex stands (one on each side, so my rig looks like a large 'V' from the front), and then a 3rd Apex in front for my top keyboard. It's a freakin' cockpit by the time I'm done, but it is all about the look isn't it? :D

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Originally posted by ivorycj:

I know that Solid Stand (www.solidstand.com) has a motorized stand that goes fairly high and has a tremendous amount of attachment possibilities (based on Quik Lok hardware), but unless they've figured out a way to minaturize that product, it's not feasible unless you have a road crew to move it in and out and do setup. I will say that it is the absolutely most solid single stand (pun intended) that I've ever used. For my AES now, I simply use two Apex stands (one on each side, so my rig looks like a large 'V' from the front), and then a 3rd Apex in front for my top keyboard. It's a freakin' cockpit by the time I'm done, but it is all about the look isn't it? :D

I reviewed the Solid Stand "Breakdown" version for KB Mag a month or two ago - the review is online somewhere, but I don't have the link to it right away. I believe it is on Solid Stand's site.

Not sure why I did not even think to recommend this stand (probably subconscious awareness of pricing). The Solid Stand is not a bargain stand, but it would be an extremely good stand for a tall player (or any player, for that matter). It has the motorized shaft for quickly adjusting stand height, lots of room for pedals and two boards can sit close together. It is very solid and pretty cool looking as well. But transport is kinda bulky and it is more expensive than other stands. Considering the amount of money people invest in keyboards and amps, I think it is a justifiable expense to buy a pro stand like this if you like the features.

Regards,

Eric

oh my god !!

those stands are EXACTLY what im looking for!

but im in England!

aarrgghhhhhhhhh!!!

the price is very high, and with shipping would probably cost me over $850+

that doesnt include the 2nd Tier add on and the microphone boom which i need..

we also run at 230 volts over here, so the 2 prong plug for the stand itself wouldnt work because of the voltage which is obviously different...

oh how it must be great to have money :-(

eric....I liked your review of the stand.

a Very interesting product but as Wayne has said I'd hate to think the international cost..ie for me in Australia once the importers,distributers have thier go...usually double the American price...id guess easy $1200 to $1400 but what a great product

I am currently looking for a piano come computer desk...a studio desk that is adjustable if I decided to change from seated to standing when needed.

this stand could be worked into the solution with it featured in front of the recording desk perhaps even put on casters so it could be slid under the desk when Im using the recording desk.

But the price...needless to say all pro recording desks that are sold here are also big money...an example is near $2000 for a midi recording desk..ie sliding keyboard shelf under a sliding recording desk shelf moving one out of the way when the other is in use.etc

just yesterday i went looking for alternatives that could achieve this.Closest I found was an Ikea product that i could adapt by placing a rolling keyboard stand underneath and roll out when needed and away when desk is used,

I can see the potential of the motorised keyboard stand in this instance as I prefer standing to play but due to health probs Im finding I now have to sit to do any longwinded project.This stand could be incorporated into a nifty recording environment.

thanks for the heads up

can you see my Avatar?

thats a perfect picture of how im crouching as normal....Ooooh, Ow....my back.....!!!

Ha ha ha ha, i just fell off my keyboard stool at home while playing!! cheers dude, thats cheered me up. ok then, no shoes anymore and onstage with sweaty feet, ha ha ha

cheers wayne on keys

we must be related we both have the same last name.....ie KEYS

I must be the convict side of the family....

my ancestors were only stealing a loaf of bread...I promise.

oh we're bound for Botany Bay

singing toreeli toreeli attaty

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

i just sold my Silver Apex stand on Ebay to a dwarf!! ha ha ha, joke !!!

i am picking this up tomorrow!

(Quiklok Z-72)

its much better for me because of the extra height it gives me for my bottom keyboard :-)

http://www.quiklok.com/400x400/sku_Z_72.jpg

NO MORE BACK ACHE !!!! HOORAH !!!!

and im also buying the attachable Microphone attachment

(Quiklok Z-728)

Archived