Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most expensive keyboard ever?

Skythe

I noticed the Korg Oasys is around a giant whopping 8k. Anything more expensive than that in the keyboard aisle of a music shop?

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure... depends on your definition of "keyboard" though. The Hammond-Suzuki "New" B3 lists for around $25,000 (street pricing is more like $17k). Won't be in your average music shop, though.

In the 80's, the Fairlight CMI and NED Synclavier were both in the 10's of thousands of dollars, and could reach 6 figures with all options added in.

So no, the Korg OASYS is far from the "most expensive keyboard ever."

Originally posted by Darren Landrum:

* hits Google *

:wave:

Yes, the GX-1. It was the test-bed for what became the CS80.

Absolutely, and there were many other synths that cost lots of scratch back in the day; anyone have clear memories of the pricing on the various Moog Modular pieces? How about Oberheim SEM, or the EMS stuff?

:thu:

Here's Keith Emerson playing one (Fanfare for the Common Man):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGuDqZO_G2E

In Montreal's Olympic Stadium, no less. In recent years, it's begun to fall to pieces, with huge chunks of concrete crumbling. I would hazard a guess that Emo's massive synth low-end may have had something to do with it... ;)

Remember that Australian guy a few months ago who was asking $750,000 for his GX-1? :D

That was probably the highest (and way exaggerated) price I ever saw for a keyboard. ;)

Unless... :idea: Someone wants to buy my Ensoniq Mirage for $1M. It's unique and the only example in the world of that synth with that particular serial number.

Originally posted by Manhunter:

Yes, and so happy; laughing all the way to the bank :D

LOL... well, I took out a big chuck of my profits from Google some time ago, but it's still making me some money... ;)

Dam quote things - can't get the hang of more than one at a time!
Just make sure you keep an equal number of open and close tags. They use square brackets, but I'll use curly braces to demonstrate:

{QUOTE}{QB}
 This is the outside quote.
 {QUOTE}{QB}This is the inside quote.{/QB}{/QUOTE}
 This is the outside quote again.
{/QB}{/QUOTE}

:thu:

The Korg OASYS is the most expensive "synth" in the average pro music store today.

However, the price record is still held by the NED Synclavier.

I still remember those Keyboard mag ads back in the 80s.

The ad fee revenue must have been nice. The magazine was thicker than the King James version. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I normally don't mention when I hit Google (or any search engine) for information, as I often do as a matter of course.

The funny part, though, is that I never searched Google within this topic. :D I knew right where to find the GX-1 on the Vintage Synth Explorer website, and where to find that video on YouTube. ;)

Darren Landrum

Originally posted by B3-er:

Isn't a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand something in the range of $400,000?

As my grandfather used to say, "if you have to ask, you can't afford her."

He wasn't referring to an Imperial Grand at the time, but I find the message still applies... ;):thu:

I seem to remember a bunch of Kurzweil ads for a silver coloured, special edition K 2500 with extra sample library for $20,000. I think the ad copy even stated, in curly brackets "worth every penny".

Stephen

I think that new Disney organ was upwards of $2 million. Probably nothing like that in your local music shop aisles, though.

Kurz Mark 12 (ecch) is pricey, but probably less than the Oasys.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Things get more interesting when you adjust for inflation...

Minimoog: $1,495 in 1970, equivalent to $7,695 in 2005

Prophet V: $4,595 in 1978, equivalent to $14,332 in 2005

Emulator II: $8,000 in 1984, equivalent to $15,185 in 2005

Oberheim Matrix 12: $4,995 in 1985, equivalent to $9,090 in 2005

Kurzweil K2500XS with sampling option and KDFX: $7,257 in 1997, equivalent to $8,744 in 2005

Kurzweil K2600Xs (88-key) $7,700 in 2001, equivalent to $8,447 in 2005

(Conversions to 2005 dollars courtesy of Tom\'s Inflation Calculator ; Kurzweil prices from Electronic Musician magazine, Jan 1997 and Feb 2001)

- Dan

(edited to correct URL)

Dan Phillips

Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Originally posted by Dan Phillips:

Things get more interesting when you adjust for inflation...

Yep, and this is another reason why people who expect some cheapo product of the week to do what yesteryear's products (and then some) that cost 1000's did can be mistaken, for Moore's Law doesn't take care of proper engineering and nor decrease the cost of certain (particularly non-electronic) parts. It's also a reason why buying used products that are apparently 'underspecifed' (by today's standards) but were high-end in their day gives astonishing results.

Still, it IS astonishing just how much a 'whole studio of sound' once cost.

All this is great anecdotal stuff for the people who think that the Oasys is so ridiculously expensive.

We've become spoiled brats, all of us! Damn near every synthesizer, not very long ago, was so prohibitively expensive that "normal people" would never hope to actually own one. The $8 large for an Oasys would have been $50,000 (if not a lot more) twenty years earlier.

It's a great time to be a musician.

- Jeff

Nope...closer to $100,000. They're well under $200,000 in any event. Used, $40,000-ish.

One of the most expensive pianos in production is the Yamaha Disklavier Pro 2000, retailing for $333,000. Read story here

The most expensive piano ever was the original Alma-Tadema Steinway, auctioned for $1.2 million. Copies are $675,000, but I understand you can get a pretty good deal if you order in bulk. Read story here

Hi. I'm new here. :) I want to start playing keyboards.

I want it to record, play, have piano, brass, synths, and USB and MIDI. Can it be blue instead of green?

My budget is < $150. I'll just sit back and let you all give me the answers and I won't post ever again. :)

Originally posted by Clavinovaguyusa:

Well, I think most pipe organs and modern midi electronic / pipe combo organs easily head to the top of the pack.

Yes, I remember reading about another $2,000,000 pipe organ going into a church. Pipe organs undoubtedly top the list of most expensive keyboards.

I'll take the $200 sampled version thank you very much.

It's funny I was just thinking of this subject in regards to electronic keyboards of the 70s and 80s.

Reading an article on Tomita, I was able to surmise by yen conversion that he paid around $36,000 American for his modular Moog system. How is that for some motivation to create some income with your setup?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by MightyTonewheel:

Nope...closer to $100,000. They're well under $200,000 in any event. Used, $40,000-ish.

One of the most expensive pianos in production is the Yamaha Disklavier Pro 2000, retailing for $333,000. Read story here

The most expensive piano ever was the original Alma-Tadema Steinway, auctioned for $1.2 million. Copies are $675,000, but I understand you can get a pretty good deal if you order in bulk. Read story here

Actually, you'll never buy an Imperial Grand for anywhere near $40,000.

Model (290) Imperial Grand PRICE LIST:

290 9'6"

EBONY HIGH GLOSS $179,550

290 9'6"

White, WalNUT, ChERRY, MahOGANY,PomELE, BubINGA, WENGE HIGH POLISH, SatIN, OR OPEN PORE $198,800

290 9'6"

PyrAMID, MahOGANY, Amboyna, Rio ROsEwOOd, BurlED WALNUT, YEW, Macassar HIGH POLISH, SatIN, OR OPEN PORE $205,975

290 9'6"

JOHANN STRAUSS EBP $195,125

290 9'6"

FRANZ SCHUBERT EBP $195,125

290 9'6"

VIENNA ANY FINISH $241,575

290 9'6"

SENATOR ANY FINISH $199,675

290 9'6"

CHOPIN ANY FINISH (AFRICAN POMELE) $238,125

290 9'6"

CLASSIC RIO ROSEWOOD & YACHT ANY FINISH $209,875