Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand for Standing

saucyjack

I think I'm ready to try to play some gigs standing up after going the seated route for last few years.

I play a lot of guitar so standing will open more possiblities for guitar/Keys during same song.

What's a good keyboard stand for standing?

Need it to be pedal friendly and have a small footprint as well.

I think I would like to be able to tilt the keys a bit downward but not sure?

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Search is your friend. Some of the stands that have been praised (and reviled) here include the usual X stands from Quik-Loc and others (you can get second tiers that tilt). I have used an Ultimate Apex column stand with good results -- but they don't make a second tier that can be tilted. So I switched over to the Konig and Meyer "Spider" stand which has a fixed angle (5% iirc). It does well supporting a MO8/Electro61 combo. But check the many previous threads.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Originally posted by saucyjack:

KC Forum Sin #2: not enough information to be able to answer your question. ;)

What and how many keyboard(s) are you using?

There are dozens of stands that are good "for standing"... doesn't mean they support more than 1 keyboard, or support heavier/longer/deeper keyboards, etc.

What's your budget? No sense us advising on (for example) the K&M Spider, as it's $300 or thereabouts, if your budget is < $50.

So... help us help you. ;)

(but you knew that)

I just bought an Ultimate Support AX48 Apex Keyboard Stand. My choice was driven by these requirements:

(1) I am always standing when I play the keyboard (and I am fairly tall).

(2) I have an 88-key MIDI controller, which is wide and thus needs wide support arms to prevent wobbling.

(3) I wanted a stand that was 20 pounds or less so I could carry it myself (I have a bad back).

I would not say this keyboard stand is pedal friendly: it has support legs that branch out to each side from the triangular-shaped central column (this will make more sense when you search for a picture of this stand on the web). If I used the sustain pedal more, I might put a 3/4-inch piece of plywood behind the right support leg, and put the sustain pedal on top of that. I have not tried this (the sustain pedal is not that important to me, yet).

Also, while this stand has adjustable arms that can support two keyboards, I don't see a way to have the top keyboard be tilted. Since the center column slants back, the upper keyboard will be located further back than the one below, so this might still work for you - or it might not. If you have a local store that has one set up on the display floor (my local Guitar Center did), it will help you get a better feel for potential fit for you.

I do like the stability of the stand, especially when holding the keyboard 36 inches off the floor. None of the "x-stands" I looked at offered this stability, at this height. Good luck!

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by saucyjack:

KC Forum Sin #2: not enough information to be able to answer your question. ;)

What and how many keyboard(s) are you using?

There are dozens of stands that are good "for standing"... doesn't mean they support more than 1 keyboard, or support heavier/longer/deeper keyboards, etc.

What's your budget? No sense us advising on (for example) the K&M Spider, as it's $300 or thereabouts, if your budget is < $50.

So... help us help you. ;)

(but you knew that)

Nord Stage 76

Only Keyboard that will be used(for now anyway).

Budget is whatever.

Bonus points for lightweight and quick to setup.

I've got a braced X stand and I'm not sure I would like it for standing.

I guess I'm interested in the Spider and Ultimate Apex? but open for other options.

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

If you do decide to go with the Apex, let me just say it's awesome, and Ultimate Support stands (no pun) behind their products.

I bought mine in 1987....yes, almost 20 years ago.

It has held up to gigging, being tossed around, and general abuse, and I trust it to hold my Yamaha S90 and a Triton Extreme (61).

The pedal thing can be cramped if you use a lot of pedals or if they are long.

I don't have a problem using a Yamaha sustain and Yamaha FC7 volume pedal with the stand.

An above poster was correct, the top keyboard will not tilt. It is set back a bit from the bottom keyboard. I've had no problems with accessing any buttons or viewing the display on the bottom keyboard with this setup.

As far as setup time...maybe 20 seconds...30 if I'm tired ;)

Seriously, just pull put the legs, stand it up, open the "lid" and pull out the arms...lock arms into supports, add keyboard, and have a good gig...

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Well, I'm a big fan of the USS Apex stand as well, but I would have to say it's not what most people would consider pedal friendly. It's got a very small footprint, and is rock solid, but you probably would balk at the way the base is positioned:

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/core/media/media.nl?id=148&c=320443&h=769ff97ac7d62f31a28a

==============================================

Given the current state of affairs for QuikLok and their distribution chain, I am avoiding recommending them as a solution, at least until things start looking a little more healthy in the N.American market.

You might want to check out the Standtastic 100KS or 122KS :

http://www.lmproducts.com/oldsite/images/standtastic/standmeasurements.gif

I really like the Ultimate Support V-Stand . Can be purchased as just the first tier, or options can be added when/if needed. It's a heck of a lot more stable than it looks, as well. The image below shows the full-blown system.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/core/media/media.nl?id=862&c=320443&h=6507c4ddbfe36e6c44b3

The only advice I can give you about X-stands is to ALWAYS use a double-braced model with nice, solid welds and a solid position locking system. Skimp on this, and mid-gig you might just find your "X" stand turning into an "I" stand as it collapses to the floor. :(

I use the On Stage heavy-duty double-X stand:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/7/6/373576.jpg

It works fine for me standing or on a barstool, with room for a piano sustain pedal, expression pedal, and dual pedal unit (sustain + sostenudo). I could probably squeeze one more pedal in, but it would be real tight. Nothing is quicker to set up. I'm 6'2".

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Well, I'm a big fan of the USS Apex stand as well, but I would have to say it's not what most people would consider pedal friendly. It's got a very small footprint, and is rock solid, but you probably would balk at the way the base is positioned:

Yeah, mine is in the garage collecting dust because of the pedal issue. But it was always sturdy, even with three keyboards on it.

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Yeah, mine is in the garage collecting dust because of the pedal issue. But it was always sturdy, even with three keyboards on it.

Pictures. :D

We want pictures of the young cnegrad when he was a whippersnapper playing three keyboards on a two-tier Apex stand. :thu::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom,

The third tier was an available option which I added after the fact. If there are any existing pictures, I don't have 'em. No doubt you'd love to see me with my extremely long rock 'n roll hair that I had at the time too! Anything to get attention from the ladies... ;)

Tom,

The third tier was an available option which I added after the fact. If there are any existing pictures, I don't have 'em. No doubt you'd love to see me with my extremely long rock 'n roll hair that I had at the time too! Anything to get attention from the ladies... ;)

Yup. I know you could add a third tier. But that takes all the fun out of it. :rolleyes:

Besides, there's GOTTA BE a picture of you with da BIG HAIR. :thu:

In fact, I think we ALL should post pictures of ourselves when our hair was the longest.

Ummmmmm, you go first. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

No doubt you'd love to see me with my extremely long rock 'n roll hair that I had at the time too! Anything to get attention from the ladies...

. . n . a . i . l . s . . h . e . a . r . d . . t . a . p . p . i . n . g . . o . n . . d . e . s . k . . .

:D

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived