Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric Pianos...Need a good song

I have re-fallen in love with the sound of electric pianos. I played a portion of my version of You Never Give Me Your Money (about 80 seconds worth) and uploaded it to My MP3 Download Page It was created with the Balladeer Patch (PR-A:028) on my Fantom X8 with the Saw 2 wave at a rate of 2.15 and a depth of 52 (I won't bore you with the other parameters)

Anyway...Here is my request of you guys and girls: I want to play around with learning a song or two that would sound really cool played with an electric piano (as a solo piano piece) in the level 2/level 3 difficulty range. I just don't know any electric piano songs that really sound good to me. I like the Beatles, Eric Clapton, James Taylor, Carol King, Jackson Brown, Elton John, Billy Joel, ELO, ELP, the Moody Blues, and I don't mind shelling out a few bucks to purchase sheet music.

How about some electric piano solo songs that you like??

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I once enjoyed playing the keyboard solo in Beatles-In My Life. It was a bit hard for me since I lack good technique. (infact, figuring out the notes by ear was easy) The whole song is pretty good for piano or EP, IMO. Give it a try.

This is going back, but Joe Zawinul's Mercy, Mercy, Mercy is simple, sounds great, has easy changes for soloing and originally was played on a Wurlitzer electric piano, I believe. (It could have been a Rhodes but I hear the Wurlitzer in my head.)

I had the original LP (with Cannonball) but gave it away. It's a classic.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I just pulled out that album a few weeks ago for nostalgia, Dave.

Definitely a Wurlitzer on that cut. (The rest of the album just burns hard as well, I agree).

I'd mine things like Aretha Franklin ("Spirit in the Dark," "Lady Soul," "Soul 69") for other simple but powerful EP-driven tunes. I always liked that slower tune on "Soul '69" with the little V7#9 - IV7 - I7 vamp at the beginning. Don't remember the name.

try philadelphia freedom by elton john as performed at maddison square gardens. Link is to midi, mp3 and score

http://www.eltonscafe.com/Songs/PhiladelphiaFreedom.htm

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1233/eltonew2.th.jpg' alt='eltonew2.th.jpg'>

He has changed it around to be a more blusey number. I am currently working my way through the score.

tris

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/born2die75/roland_junogsiggy_dw.jpg

If you like the Wurlitzer and want to get the party started, Just do the first few bars of "What'd I Say". Ray Charles on electric is about as good as it gets. In a slower vein with some nice changes, Stevie Wonder's "You are the Sunshine of My Life is a nice EP based tune. More currently, try Maroon Five's "Sunday Morning" with some of you EP voices.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Joe Zawinul's Mercy, Mercy, Mercy is simple, sounds great, has easy changes for soloing and originally was played on a Wurlitzer electric piano, I believe. (It could have been a Rhodes but I hear the Wurlitzer in my head.)

It was a Wurly. He switched to Rhodes sometime during Weather Report IIRC.

OP, how about Eumir Deodato's take on Also Sprach Zarathustra?

Thanks for the inspirations guys, I'm going to check into all of them especially Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Joe Zawinul. I do a basic version of In My Life, I like that song a lot, it was the first song played at my piano instructors wedding some 20 years ago. I'm also going to get a Steely Dan song book, love that band. I saw the Steely Dan tribute band, Pretzel Logic, at a free outdoor concert in Thousand Oaks last weekend. The keys guy was great, wore a bunch of different sunglasses, he had his left leg in a cast (softball injury the audience was told) and he put his cast up on his Yamaha S80 and played around his leg, it was great! The tribute bands website is at: Pretzel Logic
When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

To hear how to play Mercy, listen to this version:

http://martinbournival.tripod.com/id6.html

posted by our own ... hmm, I forget! Anyway, posted by someone who hangs here.

I first worked it out in 1970 at the age of 13, but on listening to the one above noticed I'd missed a few nice details all these years.

Cheers

Jeff

With apologies for this bump:

But I did want to come back and recommend Donny Hathaway to the originator of this post. "Valdez in the Country" is strictly instrumental, but I'd dig into "The Ghetto", "The Slums", "What's Going On" and "You've Got a Friend". The live record is awesome. :wave:

Also: Sorry 'bout the previous post. I now realize that even gently blowing into one's own horn belongs on that SYOD thread :rolleyes:

Thanks Steve, I'll check into it. BTW I love Nashville, My wife and I visited for a convention years ago and got into the Grand 'Ole Opry, love that town.

Thanks again

Dan...

"Still Crazy After All These Years" Paul Simon with Richard Tee on Rhodes. Don't forget the Small Stone stomp box for effects. Richard Tee could make a Rhodes sing like no one else.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Blue JC:

"Still Crazy After All These Years" Paul Simon with Richard Tee on Rhodes. Don't forget the Small Stone stomp box for effects. Richard Tee could make a Rhodes sing like no one else.

"One Trick Pony" by Paul Simon has Richard Tee doing some real mice stuff.

Give a listen to Joe Sample with the Crusaders on the CD Groove Crusade

Originally posted by Mississippi Slim:

Steve you would know better than most... but obviously Spooner O on "Never Loved A Man" and most probably other frequent Dan Penn collaborator, Carson Whitsett, backing Dorothy Moore.

Ummm... no, that would be our very own Mr. Nathan on the Dorothy Moore track... which is why he knows better than most. ;)

(you don't mind that I claimed you on behalf of KC, do you Steve? ;) )

(you don't mind that I claimed you on behalf of KC, do you Steve? [Wink] )
Not at all :D

I've been somewhat reluctant to respond to the request's I've had to post credits, or favorite records I've done, but I couldn't help myself on the Dorothy Moore cut 'cause I really loved that record (there's also a beautifully understated guitar solo by Duncan Cameron that always kills me). But I ended up feeling compelled to label it (the post) with the apt acronym SYOD that I saw on another thread. :rolleyes:

Slim, I can't say for 100% sure, you're probably right about Carson on Misty Blue. I'll have to ask JimmyJames when I see him next.

As for "Never Loved a Man", again I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that it's Aretha herself on the wurly and Spooner on that old Hammond of Rick Hall's (with the mic on the speaker under the key bed). I see spooner less and less these days, but I'll remember to ask him whenever I see him again.

Riders of the Storm.... :confused:

Archived