Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new rig!

Jazz+

http://www.kawaius.com/images/main.jpg

http://www.americanmusical.com/images/t/87t.jpg

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/synth-dtm/synth/expansion-board/roland/gif/s.gif

http://www.ggvideo.com/ev/ev60_sm.jpghttp://www.ggvideo.com/ev/ev60_sm.jpg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a nice set-up -- especially from orthopedic perspective! How is the Kawai as a MIDI controller. I started out with a P-80 and a JV-1010, but got frustrated by the limitations of both when it came to controller functions (and the JV-1010's limited controls). I'm now using a MO8 (45 pounds) and a KP-200s (51 pounds). I wouldn't mind losing 15 pounds off my rig (and elsewhere).

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Congratulations Jazz+. Seems like a perfect set. I'm happy for you. I might also buy an ES4 next weekend. Mainly because, it's the only DP thats not sold for a two fold price in Turkey. (prices here: Yamaha P140=1350 Euro, Privia 310= 1150 dollars, Roland RD700 SX 2000 Euro, S90ES=2450 Euro) The seller I talked to on the phone mentioned sth. like 1300 dollars for the cheapest Kawai stage piano which was either the ES4 or the MP4. If I didn't misunderstand him I'll certainly go for the Kawai. And secondly, I'll probably like the lighter keys. Cos' this will be my first DP. Anyway I'll check the price tomorrow and we'll see. Again, enjoy your gear. I'm sure they'll inspire you to practice more and more.

Congrats Jazz+, it's always fun to have new gear to play. After 2 years I still feel like I have new gear. I think that is good.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Congrats for your new gear ! Play some nice music on those keys.

I'm thinking more and more about expanding my XV2020 with those ep's and pianos external cards. Post some impressions (actions, sounds) please :thu:

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by RonL:

why add the piano card to the Roland? I would think that the piano in the Kawai would be sufficient.

Probably so you only have to plug in one sound source - he doesn't show a mixer, after all. I think thats a reasonable tradeoff, if you've got the cash.

J+ must be having too much fun to answer some of the questions here, so I'll take a couple:

"How is the Kawai as a MIDI controller?"

I would say good but not as good as the MP4. Obviously the ES4 lacks pitch bend/mod wheels or sliders that send data so the MP4 would be a better choice as a controller. However the ES4's keyboard action is great and the USB-MIDI port works fine.

"A question: why did you choose the ES4 over the MP4?"

There's two reasons you might choose the ES4 over the MP4: internal speakers and style. The Bose-like internal speaker system on the ES4 is impressive - better than most I'd say. It's really nice to be able to switch-on-and-play for practice, and speakers add value to the ES4 since you can use it as a living room or small church piano without an amp. There is also a line-in jack for plugging in sound sources. In terms of style, the ES4 is semi-gloss black and is a great-looking piano without the sloped front of the MP4. It also has a simpler set of controls than the MP4 which might be a preference for some users.

It was a tough choice and I miss some of the features of the MP4 on the ES4, but the ES4 is a seductive instrument in it's own right that should be compared with other similar internal-speaker digital pianos to be fully appreciated.

i'm confused about the necessity of the Roland piano card too. That can't sound superior to the Kawai main piano patch, can it?

The Kawai does have stereo line inputs, so you could connect the JV to the piano, however I'm not sure if the inputs are sent to the outputs. That would be an ideal solution if Jazz doesn't have a mixer.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Originally posted by konaboy:

The Kawai does have stereo line inputs, so you could connect the JV to the piano, however I'm not sure if the inputs are sent to the outputs. That would be an ideal solution if Jazz doesn't have a mixer.

Yes, the audio signals sent to the ES4's inputs are routed through to the ES4's outputs.

Originally posted by konaboy:

i'm confused about the necessity of the Roland piano card too. That can't sound superior to the Kawai main piano patch, can it?

Why can't it? It's the latest 'n' greatest piano card from Roland, so it's got to be pretty good as a minimum. Plus, you've been around long enough to see how individual a preference a piano sound can be.

Or, it could be that he went that route to keep all sounds coming from one source, the XV2020, simplifying his setup immensely. It seems to imply that, as he refers to his Kawai as "Action" only... :)

Kawai ES4 is on my wish list. I've been looking for something I can set up easily anywhere at home without needing an amp for the times when my kids are using the upright piano (or fighting over it). Plus, I have been doing some gigs that require a smaller combo in one location early and then the full band later in a different spot. Having an extra piano like an ES4 could make this a lot easier.

I grew up playing a Kawai concert grand and have nothing but respect for the brand name. I have played the MP9500 in the store and liked it. I have yet to find a dealer with the new MP8, MP4 or ES4. I might be willing to get one sight-unseen based on the recommendations. Though I'm not currently flush with GAS cash, so I'll probably put this on hold for awhile longer.

Congrats J+!!!! I hope this rig provides you with many years of service.

Regards,

Eric

Yeah! Nice rig anyway despite the extravagance of using the Kawai just for the action!

I also fancy upgrading my trusty P80 to ES4 but I've not heard much praise of the electric piano sounds, in which case I'd prefer to wait. My ideal piano would have ecoustic + rhodes patch plus built-in speakers. Actually the P120 would be an equally suitable upgrade.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Nice rig J+,

I'm older than most folks on this forum, and appreciate the action on the ES4. It's easier on the hands and wrists, but not too light IMO. If I was able to go back to gigging again, I would love to have a rig like you now have. For now, I just enjoy playing the ES4 through headphones or powered monitor speakers for my own enjoyment at home. I think the on-board speakers are better than most however. Enjoy!

Konaboy,

The Rhodes on the ES4 is a pretty nice pure sound

on a par with the P120 Rhodes but the switch is a bit less noticable.Put through some decent effects it comes alive but the on board effects are limited and not tweekable.They give you tremelo chorus two leslies and (god knows why)

three delays.I mix a tiny bit of the not very good Wurly with the Rhodes to give a bit more bite.

The piano sound is a lot more 'present' than the P80 and I liked it more than the RD 700sx.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

• 3 weeks later...

So Jazz+, I'm curious. How is the new rig treating you? Is the ES4 holding its own for piano sounds or did you get the laptop & Ivory solution to add to this rig? How do you like the Rhodes in the SRX? Is the action on the ES4 complimentary to the Roland or does it get jumpy and expose the velocity switch points?

Just curious if you found the ultimate rig that more people should try. I am still hungry to audition an ES4 or one of the MPs, but none are showing up in the stores around me.

Regards,

Eric

So, Jazz+, what gives with the new rig? I really want to know how the Kawai holds up to pro gigging in terms of piano sound and also controller features. I am pretty close to buying one and want to know how it is working for you. How does it compare to the Roland FP and Yamaha P models?

Regards,

Eric

Archived