Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Brecker, back on stage w/Herbie

Mark Zeger

This is great news. Herbie Hancock played Carnegie Hall last Friday night with several groups. (I wanted to go but couldn't make it happen. Damn.)

During the segment with Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette, they were joined on stage by Michael Brecker. Here is the account from a NY Times article:

They played Mr. Hancock's "Toys," and a version of the standard "I Thought About You," its chord changes intact but each segment of the melody radically changed. The harmonic communication between Mr. Hancock, with his reinterpretive new lines, and Mr. Carter, with sparse, well-chosen notes, was something special. Mr. DeJohnette played beautifully, both for the band and for the hall, leaving sudden open spaces.

As a surprise they were joined on Mr. Hancock's "One Finger Snap" by the saxophonist Michael Brecker, who has been ill for the last year with MDS, or myelodysplastic syndrome, a bone marrow disease. It was the first time he had performed since his hospitalization. Mr. Brecker looked slightly tired but otherwise gave it his all, playing long, tumultuous lines at full strength through the song.

:thu:

Here is a link to the full article with a photo of Hancock and Brecker:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/24/arts/music/25herbie.web.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like that this M-Audio donation thing helped Michael in some way. Let's pray for him to fully recover. That's really good news (and the advantage to live in NY for you Mark) :D
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• 4 months later...

That's really exciting to hear. I wish I were there too. Actually, had I known about that concert, I might have become "ill for a day" (read playing hooky from work). ;)

Michael Brecker is just showing an excelent example for us on giving back for the sake of the music.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

This is great news. Herbie Hancock played Carnegie Hall last Friday night with several groups. (I wanted to go but couldn't make it happen. Damn.)

During the segment with Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette, they were joined on stage by Michael Brecker. Here is the account from a NY Times article:

They played Mr. Hancock's "Toys," and a version of the standard "I Thought About You," its chord changes intact but each segment of the melody radically changed. The harmonic communication between Mr. Hancock, with his reinterpretive new lines, and Mr. Carter, with sparse, well-chosen notes, was something special. Mr. DeJohnette played beautifully, both for the band and for the hall, leaving sudden open spaces.

As a surprise they were joined on Mr. Hancock's "One Finger Snap" by the saxophonist Michael Brecker, who has been ill for the last year with MDS, or myelodysplastic syndrome, a bone marrow disease. It was the first time he had performed since his hospitalization. Mr. Brecker looked slightly tired but otherwise gave it his all, playing long, tumultuous lines at full strength through the song.

:thu:

Here is a link to the full article with a photo of Hancock and Brecker:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/24/arts/music/25herbie.web.html

This is awesome!! This made my day!! I would think about that full page ad in keyboard and it was a haunting thought. Very cool to hear he's playing again. :thu:

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Silver Dragon and DP2,

If you look carefully, you'll see that the original post that you both seem to be commenting on took place back in June.

Had you read the whole thread, you'd see that unfortunately Mike's status has changed. Click on the following url for more recent news:

CLICK HERE

This thread has inspired me to listen to a couple of Mike Brecker albums: "Tales From The Hudson" and "Don't Try This At Home".

I may even go out and buy something else by him! Not that the chicken feed money that his cut of me buying a CD is any big deal, but it's the best way I can think of to keep him in my thoughts and prayers!

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Silver Dragon and DP2,

If you look carefully, you'll see that the original post that you both seem to be commenting on took place back in June.

Had you read the whole thread, you'd see that unfortunately Mike's status has changed. Click on the following url for more recent news:

CLICK HERE

I didn't see the date at all. I skimmed the article as well. What a bummer.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived