Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for a beginner (not the usual question)

Ricardo.

Let me start by saying I'm a guitar player (4 years) who plans for at least a minor in some music field (probably theory) and I've been piano-playing for about five months now. And, I have no great appreciation for synths.

I have no relatives to have handed off a vintage piano to me (except for those who keep them in the living room as furniture) and at home I play on a toy piano I got on some early birthday. Probably $20 from Wal-Mart.

Anyways, my actual question begins here :) I'm looking for something under $100 that can deliver a good piano sound (acoustic) and possibly a midi/USB connection. And getting an actual acoustic upright piano isn't an option :'(

Hope I introduced myself somewhere in there :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much every keyboard has midi these days, but a keyboard with a good piano sound for under $100? Don't mean to discourage you, but that just ain't gonna happen. A "good piano sound" is something us piano/keyboard players are constantly searching for and spending hundreds (more likely thousands) of dollars on. For a keyboard with a good piano sound, $100 might get you the cardboard box it came in. :)

You'll really have to up your budget to at least the $300-500 range to even get one of the low-end boards with a "decent" piano sound.

Search here under "Radio Shack". They rebadged a recent and rather good-for-the-price Casio model (CDP100?) and they have been selling like hotcakes. $299 I think.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

A "good piano sound" is something us piano/keyboard players are constantly searching for and spending hundreds (more likely thousands) of dollars on. For a keyboard with a good piano sound, $100 might get you the cardboard box it came in

Yes, but starcaster might have a different idea of "good piano sound" than we do...!

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

A "good piano sound" is something us piano/keyboard players are constantly searching for and spending hundreds (more likely thousands) of dollars on. For a keyboard with a good piano sound, $100 might get you the cardboard box it came in

Yes, but starcaster might have a different idea of "good piano sound" than we do...!
That's true, but it sounded like he/she was looking for an instrument, not a toy. And $100 will only buy you just that: a toy. I thought it important that Starcaster understand that.

What you can look into are used Yamaha PSR keyboards. You can find them for about $100 used. They are not weighted, are only 61 keys but is playable. They come with many sounds including grand piano. Built in speakers. Can run on batteries. They were about $300 new.

Plenty of them on Craigslist or Ebay.

From there the next jump is the Radio Shack ($299) or the Casio CDP-100 ($399). The RS is probably hard to get now though.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Hmmmm... If you're looking for a standard piano keyboard, $100 / 88 notes = $1.14 per note. That's not much. :)

PAPER BAG man that was funny

it cracked me up cause as ive said before we never realise how lucky we have it in this plastic world

and the RS was only roughly $3.50 a note for new

how can that be.

We've got it made

thanks cydonia

you really put this thread into perspective

starcaster as some have mentioned you'll always find something secondhand that will do the job.

but remember once you get it youll continually want the next replacement you can afford...we always seem to be gear junkies

satisfaction is not guaranteed

goodluck the search is half the fun untill the next search

Starcaster,

I know you say that this isn't the usual question - but really it is. We get this question quite a bit, and can't really help. What if I posted on the guitar forum something like:

'I am a beginner guitar player looking for a guitar/amp combo that has a good sound for under $100. Seven String guitar would be even better. Amp should be over 200watts'

There's a thought - anyone know if the guitar forum gets questions like this?

NOTE: I have no idea what toy piano you have at home, but chances are it costs more than you thought... Unless it is bright read or pink and has mini keys, and 2 note polyphony, it likely cost pretty close to your 100$ mark.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by Phred:

There's a thought - anyone know if the guitar forum gets questions like this?

Hmmmm... we could always start a grassroots movement... visit our string-plucking friends. ;)

Links:

The Guitar Player forum

The Bass Player\'s Low Down Lowdown forum .

...and for Dave Horne, who's gonna start spinning vinyl soon, on his way to being a European mash-up star, the Extreme Groove DJ forum . ;)

Wow.

I guess there's no moderator for that forum, huh? :rolleyes:;)

Oh yeah... I forgot - it's a GUITAR PLAYER'S FORUM. :)

SG, check out the drummer's forum. I'm sure there'll be 10 times as much OT:Doo-Doo over there. :D

Wait. There IS no drummer's forum. You'd have to go over to that other place, and we all know about the dangers lurking in the shadows there. :evil:

Now HERE is a good example. :freak::D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived