Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: favorite after-gig music or silence?

Blue JC

My band was loading out last night next to another band and there were 6 or 7 cars and trucks with open doors all playing some kind of music. We all started talking about our favorite music to listen to on those late-night drives home from gigs.

Some like mellow music, some like to rock and some want complete silence. I was curious as to what (if anything) you guys listen to on the way home.

I keep "All Blues" Miles Davis, the Bill Evans/Tony Bennett album, "Porgy & Bess" Gil Evans and Beethoven's 6th & 7th Symphonies Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orchestra handy for the longer drives. Most of the time I don't listen to anything at all.

How about you guys?

Best,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue JC,

Usually it's so late, you can usually find some music-related talk. Like interviews and stuff. That's what I go for.

But the best thing about after the gig and breakdown is the............BEER. :D

I think Gas would back me up on that one.

Hey Gas, is it Friday yet?

Regards,

Joe

After a rockin' gig, I usually listen to a news/talk program or the comedy channel on my XM radio. If I do listen to music, it's usually the classical station. Either way, after a gig my drive home is quiet so I can wind down.

Even a 4+ hour gig gets me so hyped up on adrenelin I need quiet time so I can get to sleep.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Originally posted by Joe P:

But the best thing about after the gig and breakdown is the............BEER. :D

I think Gas would back me up on that one.

Hey Gas, is it Friday yet?

Regards,

Joe

Joe you are a man after my own heart. :love:

Not only is tomorrow FRIDAY (a good reason to drink), but it's St. Patrick's Day (another good reason to drink) AND at 9:30 PM my team (UNC) plays Murray State (a MOST-EXCELLENT reason to tip a mug). That's FOUR good reasons to drink a beer or six. :P

So Here's to Ya. :thu: ...and when you're making room for more, May the Wind Be Always At Your Back. :rolleyes::D

Go Heels. :)

http://static.flickr.com/3/5971068_3d3066947d_m.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It depends entirely on the type of gig. If I've just played jazz, listening to some more jazz (in the broad sense) usually feels good. If it was a rock gig, I usually prefer silence as my ears are in need of a recharge. :freak:

When I earned my supper playing with pop singers (who I often disliked), I used to listen to some complex and/or angry music (Zappa, Tribal Tech) as soon as I could, to clean my ears from all that sonic saccarine. :D

People ask me this from time to time, and it always suprises them when I tell them that I usually have nothing on after playing. I'm just music'ed out.

If it's a long drive home I'll sometimes listen to late night news [KNX 1070 LA comes in loud and clear at night even up here in the PNW]. Or if I have to stay awake I'll put some hip-hop on, which I don't consider music, just something to help keep my eyes open.

Hey Gas-in-the-Car, fabulous avatar. I need to get my "What Would Willie Do?" braclet.

I have a standing 10pm to 2 am gig every Tuesday night in Dallas, about 35 miles away from home. There's an FM station, KNON-FM, that has a jazz show at that time and I always listen to that - they've been on a Brazilian bossa-nova kick which has been way cool. Otherwise I listen to the news on BBC, or some steely dan, or pat metheny on my CD. Last Tuesday I had bought a Sergio Mendes CD at Starbucks and listened to it. Like the Herbie Hancock CD it is a mixed bag, Bossa Nova and hip-hop. I didn't know that when I bought it - like they didn't let on on the cover. The album is a gas - I thought I'd hate it, but it's actually pretty hip. It's the first hip-hop anything I ever heard that I like. One tune has Stevie Wonder playing a greatness harmonica lead all the way through ['Let Me']. Go figure. Anyway, that's pretty much the post-gig sound pallete from here.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Interesting. I used to want nothing but silence on the drive home, but ever since I've been using in-ear monitors, I can keep the volume WAY down and I actually prefer to listen to smoove jazz (so shoot me) on the drive home now.

Plus, we always end the show with "She Fu&$^! Hates Me", and its nice to replace that with something more mellow, even if it has to be Kenny G. :freak::D

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

No music for me after the show.....sensory overload issue (pop/rock band). There are a couple of late-night sports radio talk shows in Chicago, and this usually gets my ear.....However, in my younger, single days, I would much prefer to hear other sounds coming from inside my van......

Cool thread. Now I'm wondering what folks listen to before a show....I'll start a different thread.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

I usually listen to my tinnitus after gigs, actually. :(

- Jeff

:rolleyes: Oh God, that's so true.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

- Jeff

While we are on the tinnitus subject I have a weird question to ask everyone?

Do you hear piano better than organ?

When we play small clubs we rely on our own amps and use the PA strictly for vocals. No FOH. Its up to each of the players to adjust their own volume.

Recently everyone has been commenting that my piano is way too soft, my organ is way too loud, but my synth is just right (apologies to the 3 bears).

What gives? To me I hear them all at an equal level. It cant be a difference in throw since they are all coming through the same amp and speakers. This has been a recent occurance. Any idea?

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

While we are on the tinnitus subject I have a weird question to ask everyone?

Do you hear piano better than organ?

When we play small clubs we rely on our own amps and use the PA strictly for vocals. No FOH. Its up to each of the players to adjust their own volume.

Recently everyone has been commenting that my piano is way too soft, my organ is way too loud, but my synth is just right (apologies to the 3 bears).

What gives? To me I hear them all at an equal level. It cant be a difference in throw since they are all coming through the same amp and speakers. This has been a recent occurance. Any idea?

It probably has to do with how much racket the band is making. What pokes through out front is different than what you are hearing nearfield.

No matter what keyboard I'm on or how loud I am, it's the low and middle octaves that get buried out front if the band is really going for it. I'll keep playing higher and higher to cut. Sometimes I'll go so high I'll run out of notes. :D

I noticed this same thing on a PBS special this week featuring a whole stage full of famous guitarists... Eric Clapton etc. In order to be heard they were all up as high as the frets would take them when it was their turn. As a result, the leads were all a little one dimensional.

Silence is golden. I'm ready to unwind and mellow out with a few adult beverages and some good food,because I'm usually starved by the time everything is loaded.We all usually go out to eat and have a good time.

Originally posted by forceman:

Question: At a gig have you ever stepped out from your boards, have someone else play them, and listen?

If so, what did you hear? Just curious.

Good point.

As I said, this is a fairly recent phenomena. I am more curious as to why one instrument would stand out more than the other according to me hearing.

Guess I should step out front and hear what everyone else is hearing. Do organs produce different sound waves than pianos thus making thier sound fields different? If so, why is this new to me. I am beginning to think I have lost a certain section of my hearing.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by forceman:

Question: At a gig have you ever stepped out from your boards, have someone else play them, and listen?

If so, what did you hear? Just curious.

After years of struggling while trying to understand what my keyboards would sound like in the audience, I found a solution: I used to prepare a sequence which would go thru all my main sounds, playing similar parts to the ones I would play during the set. 3 minutes or so of stuff - looped. So I could give the right advice to the FOH guy about EQ, etc.

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Shhhhhhhhh! (Silence of the sheep).

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/03/15/eye.ent.scene.stealers/tz.hopkins.jpg

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :evil::freak:

Usually the percussive nature of a non-Rhodes piano will make it carry better than an organ at the same volume, so I'm not sure what is going on Steve.

After 35 years of relentless gigging, I've lost a certain amount of hearing but it's only really noticable at low volumes...I'm getting the Grandpa routine down if someone says something too quiet... "What'd you say?"

Originally posted by Bill H.:

[qb] ...featuring a whole stage full of famous guitarists... Eric Clapton etc. In order to be heard they were all up as high as the frets would take them when it was their turn.

GAAAHHHH!!! Why did my arms, face and chest just break out into hives!?!?!?!!!

:eek::freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

After gigs, I normally just get 10 min to listen to music! I live in Oslo, Norway, and the gigs is so close to my home. (I live downtown)

But I usually listen, on a soft volume, to something completely different from what I just played.

I`m a gospeljunkie, and nothings calmes me down like real gospel music, both ballads and up tempo.

Steely Dans "Aja", Bobby McFerrins "Bang Zoom", Anything with Jarrett, and Toto IV is also favourite after gig music, but for longer trips, a good portion of silence is required!!

Yamaha S90ES, Nord Electro 2 61, Roland SH 09 and a Macbook Pro running Logic Studio with various softsynths and my precious; Scarbee EP´s

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SHOWBIZ/03/15/eye.ent.scene.stealers/tz.hopkins.jpg

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :evil::freak:

Hahahaha. Actually, your avatar is a lot scarier than Hannibal's pic.

Probably the scariest avatar ever here. :freak:

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Hahahaha. Actually, your avatar is a lot scarier than Hannibal's pic.

Probably the scariest avatar ever here. :freak:

Cydonia, it's Willie Nelson as the President. :D How could that frighten you?

Silence. Pure, bliss-filled silence.

- Jeff

Most of the time I'm the same way. I want to get as far away from listening to music as I can, and my ears need a rest. I'll just go down the road listening to the rumble of the V8.

Sometimes I will listen to music, but it is always something completely different from what I was just playing. Mine is a Classic Rock/Blues gig, so I might lister to a little Brubeck or Chick Corea. Then again Aja is always a good choice. Just so long as it's different, and, as billdar said, in tune with my tinnitus

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I only listen to myself playing before a performance because I don't want to be distracted by other peoples musical concepts. Afterwards I keep my custom "musician earplugs" in all the way home because any sound can increase my tinnitus. And I want to think about what I played not be distracted by the music of some other artist.

Sports radio or the XM comedy channel. I can't stand to hear my engine or any other part of my car too distinctly. When you can hear things like your engine, things go wrong with your engine.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived