Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Donny Hathaway playing a Rhodes

Cliffk

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool. Thanx Cliff. What a player, what a voice!

What a shame he was so troubled.

I couldn't make out the band at all, other than to tell it wasn't Willie Weeks on bass (the man Donny often introduced as "the greatest bass player on earth"). Is that Pops Popwell? Looks a little like him (in the dark grain).

Again, thanks for the link.

Steve Nathan

What a man!!!!! I absolutely love his playing and singing!! Thanks cliffk, what a treat!! My musical passion is Gospel music, and seeing makes me wanna do it full time. I live in Norway, and out of 5 million people who live here, it`s probably under 10 musicians that are good enough, in my ears! I wanna move to the states..... ;) !!!
Yamaha S90ES, Nord Electro 2 61, Roland SH 09 and a Macbook Pro running Logic Studio with various softsynths and my precious; Scarbee EP´s

Originally posted by linwood:

I wish there was a dvd of the "Live" album some where.

Linwood(you may be aware of this), actually there were TWO live albums!

One called "In Performance", which featured some incredible ballads like A Song For You, and Sack Full Of Dreams. And the "LIVE" album, which we all drool over for a lifetime...

I mention it because I was totally unaware of the In Performance Album until about 4-5 years ago. Want to make sure other don't miss a chance to find a copy. It's a different vibe totally, but still so very good!

*Edit*

He sounds so very Joe Sample-ish playing a Rhodes in that clip.

TROLL . . . ish.

I can't tell who's in the band either. Another bass player that did a lot of live gigs with him is Bassie Saunders. Maybe that was Freddie White on drums? Is Fred a south paw? Man, remember hearing him sing "for all we know". Dang....

Yea..I've got all the live stuff I could get my hands on.

Can someone tell me how to make YourTube work right?

Everything I try to watch, regardless of connection speed or file size does the same thing. Wait 30 seconds, watch for 2 seconds, wait 30, watch 2 ... Even waiting 10 minutes for the file to download completely (does it even do that or does it just stream) has little effect. I've experienced this on 3 different computers ...

It drives me nuts, because there are a lot of great clips people post on this Forum ... what's going wrong, here?

I think YourTube needs to step up Their connection speed. I've got a solid 5MB speed on mine, and the download from YourTube is as slow as dialup.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by SynthLord:

Everything I try to watch, regardless of connection speed or file size does the same thing. Wait 30 seconds, watch for 2 seconds, wait 30, watch 2 ... Even waiting 10 minutes for the file to download completely (does it even do that or does it just stream) has little effect. I've experienced this on 3 different computers ...

It drives me nuts, because there are a lot of great clips people post on this Forum ... what's going wrong, here?

FWIW, having the same problem here. Played fine 2/3rds of the way but just wouldn't go any further.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by linwood:

Man, remember hearing him sing "for all we know". Dang....

That song just gives me chills. Everything he did was so beuatiful and profound yet always tinged with sadness, at least to me.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Originally posted by SynthLord:

SynthLord, when the clip starts loading, press the pause button and allow the light grey meter to run fully to the end. Press Play again and it should run smoothly. (Depending on the length/content/quality of the clip, download times vary from 1-10 minutes.)

Originally posted by jimmimio:

That song just gives me chills. Everything he did was so beuatiful and profound yet always tinged with sadness, at least to me.

jimmimio, you're on the money with this call.

Archived