Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Belichick has never been Mr. Media/Personality. The low interest media is probably one reason he went and stayed in New England. The New York media is a very demanding distraction, and I couldnt see Belichick keeping a Head Coaching job that comes with constant daily NY media scrutiny. On the other hand, Parcells was great at handling the NY media. I think he actually enjoyed the ass kissing he obtained via use of alpha male intimidation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dolphins offer head coaching job to Cameron

I have mixed feelings about this. The Chargers have been a top 5 scoring team for 3 years in row under Cam's direction. On the other hand, how smart do you really have to be to hand off to LT and look for Gates in the passing game?

I guess we'll see if Cam takes the job. It'll be interesting to see who Cam's replacement will be as our OC if that happens. We have a QB coach, Jack Ramsdell, who is well versed in the Air Coryell offense and has coached 3 QBs into the Pro Bowl. But he's never been an OC. We do have 2 other offensive assistant coaches with previous OC experience - Rob Chudinski (TEs) and Hal Hunter (OL).

Well, I've only been down here for less than a year. I spent 27 of my first 30 years in RI, 35 minutes from Foxborough.

Yes, its a Red Sox town - the hot stove talk up there is just as passionate as debating every hold/send call made by the 3rd base coach mid-season.

BUT the Pats have actually rasied the expectations of the other franchises. People expect the Sox to be focused on winning and being team guys.

If the Pats hadn't set this precedent, you wouldn't hear a peep out of anyone about Manny's behavior. Instead, you get the front office getting railed on why they can't put a team together like Craft, Pioli, and Belichick.

Don't say the region isn't listening to what Belichick says - its just the opposite. We'll follow him over the cliff. He's brough honor and distinction to a franchise previously known for getting destroyed by the Bears 20 years ago. A laughing stock, really.

Even as he lets talent like Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, David Givens, and Adam Vinateri walk, all of NE drinks the kool-aide and recites the mantra: "In Bill we Trust."

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

I guess we'll see if Cam takes the job.

Done.

Dolphins Hire Cam Cameron As Head Coach

Good luck with Cameron's replacement, Governor Silver.

Best,

Geoff

Good hire for the Fish.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Go Siants, Go Colts!

Let's GO!

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of today in any case 'cause this is really the last primetime day for the more or less disinterested fan.

Tonight's game is going ot be INSANE. I can feel it. Neither team will achieve much separation. It'll be pins and needles for 4 quarters.

And I'll change my pick. Colts win on a late (very late) TD. 28 - 27.

Saints find a way in the snow. 24-20.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Tonight's game looks to be a nail biter. Even though I am a Pats fan, if we lose it might as well be to Peyton and Dungy. I would like to see them get the monkeys off their backs. But I can surely wait another year for that to happen.

It's going to hurt the Pats that Harrison will not be playing. The sure could use the help at safety.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I have about 4 hours til I leave the house. I'll be at the Colts game, 28 rows back on the visitors side, right on the 50. Got my Marvin Harrison jersey on. Rockin the Colts ball cap. I plan on not being able to speak for a couple of days after the game. Now where did I put those earplugs...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by kanker.:

I have about 4 hours til I leave the house. I'll be at the Colts game, 28 rows back on the visitors side, right on the 50. Got my Marvin Harrison jersey on. Rockin the Colts ball cap. I plan on not being able to speak for a couple of days after the game. Now where did I put those earplugs...

I never knew you were a colts fan or than we had any Colts fans on here. Good luck to them and to the Pats as well.

BTW if we call the Patriots the Pats and the Jaguars the Jags what do we call the Titans?? :D

- Rush

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Now that was one for the ages!

Great game! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

I agree. Great game to watch. The second half was amazing, back and forth. Two great teams battling it out. It doesn't get much better than that.

- Rush

I forgot to take the weather into account in picking the Saints over the Bears. As it turns out the deciding factor was not so much the weather as it was the Saints' 3 turnovers. :( Grossman definitely outplayed Brees in the turnover department, which was opposite of what I expected.

That was definitely an entertaining AFC Championship! Unlike, apparently, a lot of Charger fans, I have nothing against Peyton Manning as he neither hurt nor helped (like Eli, via the huge trade) us, but it was great entertainment to see him orchestrate the great comeback. While I'm not a big Peyton fan, I AM a big Tony Dungy fan and am happy to see him break his Marty-esque "curse".

Though I wanted to see the Saints in the Superbowl, I think the Bears-Colts matchup should be a lot more competitive and entertaining.

I am quick to admit that Brady, Belichek, and the Patriots are the Team of the Decade, but where was Brady after the game today? How about Belichek not even acknowledging Manning on his way off the field? Very disappointing. Lose with class. And, since they also couldn't win with class last week at San Diego, I have to say that I've soured a good bit on the Pats during the course of this year's playoffs.

Couldn't be happier for Manning, Dungy, and the Colts, however.

Also, this contest had a little bit of everything: first and foremost, a great comeback; but it also had linemen scoring touchdowns for both teams, great special teams play from the Patriots, great passing and receptions on both teams, great interceptions, etc.

We'll be seeing shows about this game for years to come kind of like John Elway and the Broncos' drive against the Browns in another AFC championship game. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well, I went 0-2 on the championship games this weekend. The outcome is fine with me.

The Saints could not get over the hump of those turnovers. The Colts maintained their composure and played to win.

Dungy and Manning have finally made it to the big show. Also, I hope Lovie Smith gets a nice raise.

Now I gotta wait 2 weeks for another football game. :(:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Tonight's game looks to be a nail biter. Even though I am a Pats fan,

I thought you were a Bucs fan?
The Bucs are my #1 team but I grew up in Boston and spent over 30 years there rooting for Babe Parelli, Jim Nance, Steve Grogan, etc. You never stop cheering for the team you spent most of your life following.

Congrats to the Colts. That was an amazing comeback. Nobody deserves it more than Tony Dungy. It's a shame Tampa let him go.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

The early game was disappoitning (congrats to Jackpine and the other Bears fans, of course--well-deserved)

But the late game paid the toll and then some. Wow! Classic. And, while I'm not sure of what the sum of my feelings about Peyton Manning equals, I enjoyed seeing an all-time great deliver like he did in the 2nd half. He survived drops, bad special teams, and a thumb injury to put up 32 second half points.

The Colts won it with the run every bit as much as with the pass. Rhodes--who once lost a playoff game againts the Pats with a fumble, if you will recall--was huge in the second half, when they gashed the NE D over and over again, up and down the field.

Brady kept giving his defense chances to ice the game, and they simply couldn't produce a stop.

Wow. Legendary game.

But seriously. The Pats Colts game was a pleasure to watch. While they weren't playing outdoors like God(and George Halas) intended, for a relatively disinterested fan, I was completely engaged.

At the end, I turned to my brother and said this 2:15 will define the rest of Mannings' career. He finally didn't gag in the big one.

And....

CBS is gonna hate the fact that the superbowl is 2 Midwestern teams. No major coastal audience here.

Man, in the early game, I thought the Saints came out with all the brio, and when their D stopped the Bears on 7 straight plays inside the 5 after the first turnover, I thought NO had karmic money in the bank. At 16-14 I loved the Saints' chances...

Originally posted by jackpine:

CBS is gonna hate the fact that the superbowl is 2 Midwestern teams. No major coastal audience here.

And in that connection, I loved Dungy's postgame comment: "Why go to Miami? Let's play it in Fort Wayne."

Btw...

I'll get my super bowl pick in early.

I'm going with....

The windy city...

The second city...

The city by the lake...

The city of big shoulders...

Hog butcher to the world...

Paris on the Prairie...

The city that works...

The big onion...

That toddling town...

By GOD It's MY KIND OF TOWN...

CHICAGO

DA BEARS!!!!!

So, I had an odd experience this morning.

I was watching ESPN, and they showed a pair of helmets and a football for each of the four potential Super Bowl matchups that existed before today's games. When the Bears and Colts helmets were displayed facing each other, a feeling swept over me that this picture represented reality and the others didn't.

The feeling stuck with me all day, and I was almost relieved to see the Patriots begin to blow out the Colts. But it didn't turn out that way, and now I'm struggling to digest what happened.

I suppose I could dismiss it as a lucky guess, but I wasn't trying to guess. I had already figured using the rational side of my brain that the Bears and Patriots would meet in the Super Bowl. But when I saw the picture of four possible realities on ESPN, it was like looking at three imaginary scenarios and one reality and the Bears/Colts combo just felt real.

Strange ... for me anyway.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else here?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived