Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dan South:

The fermenting dumpster of unearned karma that's been following Tom Brady around since the "tuck rule" should be allowed to drain into Boston Harbor before it forever taints the good name of the National Football League.

Hey Dan! Good to hear some loquacious vitriol from you! Get that engine revving, 'cause it looks like the Lakers are pretty good this year... ;)

Ah, the tuck rule--like the Jeter-Jeffrey Maier home run, the travesty that launched a dynasty. Let us never forget that the luck of one team can be the truly franschise-scarring bad luck of another...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ProfD:

Hopefully, the young Chargers team will learn from and build on the experience of that playoff game.

They made mistakes and lost to a veteran team. Nothing to be ashamed in that regard.

LT has been a class act throughout his career. I believe emotions got the best of him yesterday. I expect him to return to form next season.

All of the players should have learned a lesson in humility considering the expectations at the beginning of the season and outcomes.

The question is, will the coaching staff remain intact?

Seems like Cam Cameron is being mentioned or interviewed for every vacancy in the league.

IMO, it would not make sense to fire Marty. Let him continue to build. Look at the reprieve Indy has gotten all these years. :cool:

ProfD (and others),

Those two "why the Chargers lost" articles that were posted were pretty much on point, as well as your post.

I really do hope the Charger go back to being the classy team that the Chargers were once known as. A Charger team with the talent that it has, playing with relentless focus, can do a lot of damage (to the opposition).

Current GM AJ Smith did not want Marty, who was hired by his predecessor and old friend, John Butler. I'm sure he'll consider his decision carefully, despite his poor relationship with the old coach. He does seem to have a history of letting reason prevail over emotion when it comes to personnel decisions.

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Yet nobody actually has a picture of any Patriot doing a dance at midfield. How major an event cound it have been? Did it really happen? IF it did happen was it just for a second or two? If it was as big of a deal as LT makes it out to be we would be innundated with replays of it non-stop.

Until Sunday night, Hobbs didn't have the reputation of a Terrell Owens. The cameras caught Owens dancing on the Cowboys' Star because people expect Owens to be TO.

Who's going to follow Ellis Hobbs with a camera and capture everything he does? The only reason anyone knows he was dancing on the Charger helmet is that LT caught him doing it.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

Until Sunday night, Hobbs didn't have the reputation of a Terrell Owens. The cameras caught Owens dancing on the Cowboys' Star because people expect Owens to be TO.

Who's going to follow Ellis Hobbs with a camera and capture everything he does? The only reason anyone knows he was dancing on the Charger helmet is that LT caught him doing it.

But no one else did?

I absolutely love the fact that there's all this hoopala going on. Although, the Colts are a seasoned team so it probably won't affect them, but the Pats are at their best when the world is against them.

Their only underdogged by 3, and its in Indy so that means they're calling them even, right? Belichick needs some new fuel for the fire, and this media circus will give him good opportunity to yell at some people.

The Chargers were doing a lot of trash talking the week before the game. The Pats were not. During the game, both teams were trash talkin'. The Chargers let their emotions get the best of them and got a lot of stupid penalties. The Chargers WERE NOT focused on the game. So many missed opportunities let slip away. The Pats kept their cool, and beat a team that was younger and faster than them, but are still wet behind the ears. Serves them right.

Of course, after the game, old Marty said they "just ran out of time". WHAT? No Marty, you didn't have control of your team.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Chicago - Sorry to all DaBears fans. I just don't like the Bears. Don't know why. I can't think or give a good reason.

That one's easy - they're not the Packers.

Go Colts!

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

daBowsa, Griff, and Mike,

Both teams were disgraceful in their conduct after the game. Let's leave it at that.

No, I won't.

I think the Pats have earned a little respect for being good winners. And losers. At least in my book. If some un-named rookie dances on midfield when the entire team is celebrating, I give the team a pass.

I also give LT and the whole Chargers team a pass. We're talking about your reaction in the immediate 60 seconds following a gut-wrenching win/loss.

Its football - you're charged up, you're trash talking and violently attacking your opponent with all your emotion. There's no reason to expect all 104 players can turn that off like a switch.

I don't find any disgrace on a team level, so I won't leave it at that.

I will leave it at "emotions were running high, now lets talk about football" if thats ok?

GovernorSilver:

This is a good thread to have a little fun at someone else's expense! It's therapeutic, and its free. Lighten up.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

GovernorSilver:

This is a good thread to have a little fun at someone else's expense! It's therapeutic, and its free. Lighten up.

Mike T.

Mike, how can I lighten up now with you calling me out?

I acknowledged my Chargers behaved unprofessionally. It's my right to observe the Patriots not behaving any better.

Now can we please move on?

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Oh - and I love Shaun Phillips' quote - referring to himself in 3rd person - ridiculous!

"Shaun Phillips will hold a grudge against the Patriots for the rest of his career."

Drama queen.

But you gotta admit that it was cute as hell when Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd used to refer to himself as "The Can."

Chicago - Sorry to all DaBears fans. I just don't like the Bears. Don't know why. I can't think or give a good reason. I respect what they have done and they are a good team but I just won't be rooting for them. I will say I do like Devin Hester as he's from the U.

That's OK.... I can give you a pass on disliking the Bears. We're used to it.

The funny thing is... if we beat N.O. and whomever in the super bowl, people will still say they suck.

Were the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL right now...absolutely no repect.

Just 14 wins. :wave:

Originally posted by jackpine:

Chicago - Sorry to all DaBears fans. I just don't like the Bears. Don't know why. I can't think or give a good reason. I respect what they have done and they are a good team but I just won't be rooting for them. I will say I do like Devin Hester as he's from the U.

That's OK.... I can give you a pass on disliking the Bears. We're used to it.

The funny thing is... if we beat N.O. and whomever in the super bowl, people will still say they suck.

Were the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL right now...absolutely no repect.

Just 14 wins. :wave:

Hey, if your Bears win, they'll get my respect at least! Looking forward to a great Bears-Saints matchup!

Well, if the Pats don't win it all, then they're just another team that didn't win it all again and the talk of mystique will and should subside. Their achivement to date is the exact equivalent of what the Cowboys did in the early '90s. The Pats are considerably more likeable than that team, but then so is goose shit. The Pats evince a different kind of arrogance--not the flaky flamboyant arrogance of the "How About Them Cowboys" but a quieter arrogance built on their "team balance" superior intelligence, and intangibe qualities of the organization.

The Pats have better players than their "team philosophy" allows them to admit. You will not "slot in" fungible replacements for the likes of Richard Seymour and Mike Vrabel when the time comes, as it surely must, and the Paoli-Belichick myth will ulitmately erode somewhat, back down to reasonable levels of respect due an all-time great team.

The Bears looked a lot better than I expected in their playoff game. I doubt that anyone will say they "still suk" if they win the Super Bowl. You can't argue with a Championship ring. :love:

I don't think this years Pat's team is a good as the one that won their first SB. But its still a very good team. BB has managed to put new faces into the lineup to replace aging players and guess what? they're in the AFC Championship game again this year. If they WIN and win the SB, they will duplicate my Steelers record of winning 4 SB's in 6 years. Go Colts!!

Mike T.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Oh - and I love Shaun Phillips' quote - referring to himself in 3rd person - ridiculous!

"Shaun Phillips will hold a grudge against the Patriots for the rest of his career."

Drama queen.

But you gotta admit that it was cute as hell when Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd used to refer to himself as "The Can."
Oh definitely - but the whole "grudge for the rest of my career" thing just sounds like whining to me. Maybe it's just because my band had to fire the singer last night when he tried to pull a huge coup by hijacking both our myspace page and our website and then declared to everyone that we weren't showing him any respect even though "he was doing all the work"... :rolleyes:

Drama queen.

Oh definitely - but the whole "grudge for the rest of my career" thing just sounds like whining to me. Maybe it's just because my band had to fire the singer last night when he tried to pull a huge coup by hijacking both our myspace page and our website and then declared to everyone that we weren't showing him any respect even though "he was doing all the work"... :rolleyes:
Well, I was disappointed in Phillips for saying that and hope he'll learn from this bitter experience.

Regardless of how the Patriots conducted themselves in victory, I want to see improved public (at least) behavior from my Chargers. I want them to show the rest of the NFL they are capable of being a classy team and stop letting the press get to their heads.

LOL about your singer.

The Pats have better players than their "team philosophy" allows them to admit.

The Pats no doubt have some very talented players, but their "superstar to unknown ratio" is much lower than most teams'. Go take a glance at the NFL stats. You won't see many NE names up near the top. For instance, NE's leading reciever, Reche Caldwell, ended up 40th in the league in recieving yards. Even a "star" like Tom Brady ranked 9th in the league in QB rating. Simply put, the numbers don't add up to a team playing in the AFC championship game.

I'm totally dissatisfied by Ellis Hobbs' post-game conduct. Very disappointed in him for pulling that stunt, whether Merriman brought it on himself for all the pre-game smacktalk or not.

I do believe it was directed at Merriman, not the team or the city, however, for whatever it's worth...

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

The Pats have better players than their "team philosophy" allows them to admit.

The Pats no doubt have some very talented players, but their "superstar to unknown ratio" is much lower than most teams'. Go take a glance at the NFL stats. You won't see many NE names up near the top. For instance, NE's leading reciever, Reche Caldwell, ended up 40th in the league in recieving yards. Even a "star" like Tom Brady ranked 9th in the league in QB rating. Simply put, the numbers don't add up to a team playing in the AFC championship game.
Caldwell as a Charger was one of our few legitimate deep threats. I wasn't surprised to see him burn our secondary for some big plays. He said the right thing, true or not, when he said the Divisional game was just another game to him, not a revenge game. He was also the Patriot trying to calm down LT, or at least keep LT separated from the other Patriots LT was trying to yell at. He's going to be a big play guy against the Colts. Should be a good matchup vs. Nick Harper (my wild guess as to who will try to cover him).

Saints vs Bears--Beyond the feel good story, the Saints O is explosive. The Bears D just managed to hang in there last week against a less potent attack.

Pats vs Colts--Is it just me or does Indy not play with the same level of intensity in playoff games? Maybe home field will work for them this year.

Both games should be fun to watch. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My predictions:

NO @CHI - With all the injuries, the Bears defense looked mortal vs. Seattle's O. The Saints O is quite a bit more accomplished than Seattle's and should compensate for an often porous Saints D. Then there's the Rex Factor - Big Play Rex vs. Turnover Rex. Saints win the shootout.

NE @IND - Indy's offense has struggled with Marvin forgetting how to run routes and catch at times. But Indy's defense has really roared to life. Man, this is a tough, tough pick. I'll take the Colts, due to homefield. A Vinateiri field goal deciding the outcome would indeed be ironic.

The Colts beat the Patriots AT New England 27-20 this season. So, what does that mean? Nothing. When the chips are down the Patriots step it up. I am hoping the Colts win so Peyton Manning can get a very big monkey off his back. Besides, NE has won plenty of SB's to keep them occupied.

Mike T.

What the heck is up with Marvin Harrison? I'm a syracuse fan, and I hear from second-hand direct contact that he is a genuinely decent fellow, but his postseason performance has become nothing short of baffling.

I mean, it's not like regular season NFL football is Bocci. Anyone who plays WR in the NFL has got to be tough, and marvin runs all the routes, not just the glory routes, so it seems unlikely to me that he's afraid of getting hit at playoff velocity. Must be more like playoff performance anxiety of some kind.

Ominously, NE has been particularly good and taking him out of his game in the playoffs.

All Hail Dallas Clark! better account for that boy, Belichick.

What the heck is up with Marvin Harrison?

I was about to post the same thing tonight. To me its critical to who wins the Colts/Pats matchup.

In the Colts first playoff game Marvin and Peyton were not on the same page. Peyton had an interception because he thought Marvin was going to run a different route. Plus there were at least 3 other times they totally disconnected. Then in last weeks game Marvin just disappeared. You didnt hear his name at all. What the heck has hapened. This is one of the greatest QB/receiver combos of all time. Is Marvin hurt and they don't want to tell anyone? Is something else going on? This is just to far from the norm for there not to be something going on there.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

NE @IND - Indy's offense has struggled with Marvin forgetting how to run routes and catch at times. But Indy's defense has really roared to life. Man, this is a tough, tough pick. I'll take the Colts, due to homefield. A Vinateiri field goal deciding the outcome would indeed be ironic.

Indy's defense is the sole reason they are still alive this postseason. Beating good defenses, however, is one of the Pats' specialties. The difference in this game will be Peyton Manning, and as he has shown time and again, pressure is not his friend.

If you're a Colts fan, or just not a Patriots fan, you can want Indy to win, but I think smart money is on NE.

Archived