Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite Indianapolis's recent poor performance, Denver gets my vote for the team that self-destructed most rapidly this year. In the last month, they've gone from tied for first at 7-2 to almost out of the Wild Card picture at 7-6. Congratulations to San Diego for clinching the division title, by the way, and to LaDainian Tomlinson for setting a new NFL single-season record for rushing touchdowns (29)! :thu:

In the meantime, Green Bay has at least improved upon their poor 4-12 performance from last year. They'll have to win out to reach .500 though

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I love football!!

-Let me say congrats to superhuman Tomlinson on his TD record, he not only gets to extend it in 3 more games, but we know there are many more records to come!

-I gotta say this.. I wouldn't make the same picks, but if The Saints swept with Drew Brees getting MVP, Colston or Bush getting rookie of the year, and coach Sean Peyton getting coach of the year, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

-Speaking of rookies, this is probably the sweetest class Ive ever seen. This QB class alone could be as legendary as the class of '83 when it's all said and done. Then there's the rest of this class, which is just sic!

-Again speaking of rooks, Vince Young goes head to head with Maurice Jones-Drew next weekend. Should be fun! Jones-Drew looked like "Barry" yesterday!

-Ok, now the games.. I'd been yapping about the Colts being humbled with a couple losses, and that somehow making them better. Forget I ever said it. Dungy, the USS Indianapolis is taking on water. Is this the same team that went 9-0? Time for crisis mode in Indy!

-Saints whipped Dallas's ass last night.. No other way to say it. The student kicks the teacher in the nuts! Brees didn't even throw a pass in the 4th quarter and had 5 TD's wow!

I wonder how much of that beatdown had to do with the story leaking last week that Tuna had been upset with coach Sean Peyton because Peyton heavily recuited Dallas players, including Tony Romo, once he got the Saints position?

-The Giants are slowly creeping back to form to get that 1st wildcard spot. Maybe the Falcons or Eagles sneak into that 2nd slot? Lets see how Atlanta looks against Dallas next Sat night on "Can't See TV".

-ProfD, I had NO IDEA what happened to the Pats yesterday as I didn't see the game or highlights. It just didn't make sense to me that a team with a solid record would completely fold like that. Is there a quick fix for the playoffs?

-The draft: Tampa getting Quinn?? Highly probable. Troy Smith will probably go late 1st-early 2nd round because he's only 6ft tall. He and Drew Brees will have that in common as well as similar skillsets, so Smith should be ok once he gets on a roster. That said, who get Calvin Johnson? Detroit? ;)

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by ProfD:

The Pats best game was against NYG who have their own issues as documented by Magpel.

Huh?

Anyone remember Cincinatti

The Pats haven't even played the Giants this year!

Oops Griff, I meant the Pats best game was against the Vikings IMO. :cool:

Watching the Saints-Dallas game last night, I was LMAO every time the Saints had the ball just because they torched Dallas in every conceivable way.

If the Tuna's britches were in a bunch behind Payton's recruiting practices, then I'm sure the a** whuppin he received doesn't make him feel any better! :)

The Saints have looked damn good especially over the past 4 weeks. Payton definitely deserves Coach of the Year. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by antimatter:

Ya know, a Saints-Chargers Super Bowl would make for a pretty good story. Brees looked pretty commanding last night, even if he is barely 6' tall.

+1 :thu:

Just a few weeks ago, I felt any NFC team in the SB would get wiped out by the AFC. Maybe not.

NFC--If the Saints continue playing as well as they did on Sunday night, they would show well in the SB.

Da Bears have a banged up defense and suspect QB. They will find a way to get eliminated in the playoffs.

AFC--I'd love to see the Chargers in the SB.

Despite a defense more porous than swiss cheese, Indy could still make it if Manning and company catch fire.

Hold the phone--The Ravens can find a way to beat all of them. I would not be surprised.

While we have an idea of who will make the playoffs, the jury is still out on both conferences.

Like meccajay said, I love football! :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Here comes DaBowsa! Bad week for my picks. All the ones I was torn on went the other way. The lead is down to three with three weeks left (and a game tonight).

Okay, Saints have now proven it in my book. Going into Dallas and playing like that without Joe Horn and a healthy Colston was just huge. With Seattle stumbling, NO has the straight line to the second bye.

If it weren't for a certain back out west, Brees looks a mightly lot like an MVP this year.

Big win, and a good all around performance on the road, for my Giants.

Bad loss for the Jets. If they don't make the playoffs this year--and Cincy and Jax really solidified their WC positioning yesterday--the Cleveland and Buffalo losses are going to be sore spots for sure.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Its interesting because things seem to change week to week. San Diego has been consistent and very good. What happens if LT gets hurt? (I do not want this to happen) Woudl they be the same team. Probably not but Michael Turner is a good running back who I feel could step in and do a good job. I think as we turn for home, staying healthy and playing with confidence have to be a priority for teams who are in the playoffs. Of course positioning for home field advantage is important as well. Things can happen quickly to alter the perception and reality of the strength and vulnerability of each team. Last year the Steelers came out of nowhere to win it all. That being said a few points.

AFC

San Diego and Baltimore were impressive. I think the Jets will make the playoffs. Maybe the but kicks the colts and pats got was a good thing for them. Sometimes that type of loss can really refocus a team. (saw it in SF during a superbowl year) I think Indy is going to have some real issues in the playoffs if they can't figure out how to stop the run. The Broncos and Chiefs played themselves right out the playoffs baring them getting some help. Which Jacksonville team if they make the playoffs is going to show up? Do the Pats have another run in them?

NFC

Heck your guess is as good as mine. Id there a better story in the NFL this year than the Saints? Is there a better feeling in the world then seeing Dallas get blown out at home? :D

I don't have a clue who is going to come out of the NFC. It seems the Bears are the default but at this point nothing would surprise me here unless the Arizona Cardinals or SF 49ers made the playoffs. I guess that would surprise me.

Ok I'm done.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Heard a report that Brian Griese took half the snaps in Chicago this week.

Tonight it looks like Grossman will start and?

a) Be yanked at halftime for Griese if he doesn't play well?

b) Play great, secure his job and re-energize the Bears offense?

TROLL . . . ish.

Random thoughts:

- I can buy the theory that Sean Payton and his staff exploited his knowledge of Tony Romo and the Dallas offense. The Saints D has been inconsistent but they looked very good against the potent Cowboys O. Dunno what to make of whether or not the Saints ran up the score - Payton did call the onside kick with a big lead, but he also had his players kneel down in the final 3 min. Parcells did look pissed. I'd love to see a rematch in the playoffs, especially if there is a building grudge between Payton and Parcells.

- I think the last time I saw a football team give up nearly 400 rushing yards was when Nebraska still ran the option. Dunno how much the Colts can do about their run defense, as BOTH starting DTs (Montae Reagor and Corey Simon) are on IR. Your run D starts with a solid interior DL and if you don't have one, you're toast, especially when all your potential playoff opponents have good rushing attacks.

- Nice win by the Ravens in tough, tough Arrowhead Stadium. I wonder if Damon Huard would have given them more fits - that KC offense was more potent this year with Huard under center.

- Vince Youngs 3 consecutive comeback wins are amazing for a rookie QB. Talk about carrying your team on your own feet!

- For a while people were starting to talk about Oakland's underrated, yet very talented young secondary. Their man coverage schemes gave Philip Rivers fits in our rematch. But Cincy's offense is just too good at home, especially when Rudi gets 117 yds on the ground.

- Redskins had little trouble running against the Eagles. I think they asked too much from Jason Campbell - they should have stuck to what worked, and that's Ladell Betts running the ball.

- Really can't say who's the best NFC team. It's been a wild season for that conference. Can a .500 team make the playoffs? Looks possible.

Two of my favorate pics from the game here, involving Charger GM AJ Smith. AJ has a reputation of being a hard-nosed businessman. These two pics show another side of AJ:

Anticipating LT's 29th TD, squatting like a referee:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/oreilly1/ajltscoreiv5.jpg

Touchdown!!!

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/albums/061210broncos/SMHchargersbroncos260214x0013.jpg

Thoughts about Broncos at Chargers:

- Love the "Fumblarooski" play to Lorenzo Neal. It involved Rivers faking to LT, then tossing the ball forward, between Neal's legs, to Neal.

- Jay Cutler showed some promise - rocket arm, decent mobility.

- Cutler's favorite target was apparently young TE Sheffler. This Sheffler kid also showed some promise, catching 2 TDs.

- The Charger offense was often given short field, whether it was by a Cromartie kickoff return, a Cutler fumble, a Denver 3-and-out from deep within Denver territory, or the two failed 4th down conversions (also within Denver territory).

- Denver's D used a typical strategy to stop LT - load up the box with 8 or more. Rivers was able to exploit this with big plays to WRs and TEs. One of the few holes in Rivers' game has been his deep ball accuracy. He looked accurate enough with long completions to Vincent Jackson (our future #1 WR/Keenan McCardell's heir-apparent) and Eric Parker. Gates had a field day, especially against John Lynch and Foxworth (a CB forced into SS duty). Gates beat both Bailey and D. Williams for a TD with his size and power forward rebounding skills. This was all made possible by the continued outstanding play of our once-maligned OL.

- Nice to see DE Luis Castillo return, playing well and looking healthy. He had a big sack on 4th-and-2 to force the turnover on downs.

- Denver made some adjustments that stymied us in the 3rd quarter and got them back into the game, but, as is now typical of this season, we somehow dialed it up and finished them off in the end. Shanahan really helped us with those two failed 4th-down conversions, giving our offense short field. Some people said we ran up the score so LT could set his record. I don't agree because:

1. In raising the score to 41, we had only a 14 point lead with a fair amount of time left. We'd be criticized in the past for blowing this type of lead in a similar situation, so we had to put the game away.

2. The final TD was set up by a Cutler fumble, with too much time left to run off the clook with kneeldowns. I think we intended to just run the ball 4 straight times, then let Denver have the ball back. But they let LT score on just the first running play. Oh well!

Sorry for the long-winded post. We won our division, took the #1 seed, and swept a nemesis who had dominated us for so long. I'm a little giddy!

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

We won our division, took the #1 seed, and swept a nemesis who had dominated us for so long. I'm a little giddy!

Gov, how do you figure they took the #1 seed? Took the lead in the #1 seed race, yes. But they're one game ahead of Baltimore and Indy, and the Ravens have the tiebreaker with the head-to-head win.

Plus the Chargers have a couple of tough games left, including a trip to Seattle.

BTW, the Chargers have long been my "2nd team," so I would absolutely love to see them get homefield throughout, and I believe one more win would likely get them a bye, but there is some work to be done.

It was the Pats who really fumbled their best bye opportunity yesterday. Being two games behind the Chargers and effectively two games behind the Colts, they need a lot of help now to even get back into the discussion.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

We won our division, took the #1 seed, and swept a nemesis who had dominated us for so long. I'm a little giddy!

Gov, how do you figure they took the #1 seed? Took the lead in the #1 seed race, yes.
Magpel, that's why I meant - we claimed the #1 seed for this week and now the onus is on us to hang onto it. We must continue winning until Indy and B'more lose enough games for us to clinch it.

I was a little surprised to see the Pats lose to the Dolphins, but not hugely so, because the Dolphins have been playing very well of late. Harrington has a special chemistry going with Booker, Morris has filled it admirably for Brown, and Jason Taylor is playing out of his mind.

Still, the Pats are going to be dangerous in the playoffs. After seeing the adversity my Chargers went through this year (off-field issues, injuries, etc.) I can better understand how similar adversity propelled the Pats to Superbowl wins - it has a way of enhancing the resilience of your team.

Originally posted by jackpine:

ok... as of this minute it's my b day, I'm a few beers into a great buzz and my Bears won another one.... so tell me again how much they suck....????

Happy Birrthday :D:wave:

I may have been one of those people down on the Bears. Actually I was down on Rex more than the Bears because he killed my fantasy teams playoff chances.

Its been a weird year. To quote Bill Parcell, we have been a little too eager in applying the annointing oil this season.

First 5 weeks everyone gave the SB to Chicago and Baltimore. Then Denver got hot. Then the Giants went on a run. Next Vick put only 2 good games together and everyone was hailing him and the Falcons. Teh Colts ran off 9 straight and people thought maybe this was the year. The Pats beat the bears and were the favorites for one week. For a few weeks Romo and the Cowboys were the lock for the SB. This week its San Diego and New Orleans who are the annointed ones.

There are 3 weeks left in the season. Still plenty of time for somebody to rise and somebody to fall. The Bears have been the most consistent team all year long so you would think they would be the favorites. Home field advantage is going to go a long way this year.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

ok... as of this minute it's my b day, I'm a few beers into a great buzz and my Bears won another one.... so tell me again how much they suck....????

That question will be answered one or way another in the second season. So until then its really a moot point. If they go to the super bowl, of course they are for real. If they get bounced in the first round then they were pretenders. Personally I don't know what to think at this point, especially with the inconsistency of the NFC. At this point they are the most consistent of the inconsistent NFC.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Sorry, but Rex not turning the ball over against a pitiful Rams D is definitely not impressing this skeptic. Nor was the porous run defense last night. They're definitely hurting on that side of the ball, which puts more pressure on Rex, and in the playoffs, that's going to make a big difference. There are no Rams in the playoffs.

Sounds like you enjoyed the b-day with brew and a win. Congrats! :thu:

Da Bears should be okay going into the playoffs.

Without Tommie Harris, against better teams, that is when all hell could break loose.

Brian Urlacher can only do buy so much by himself. Also, his run defense has been scouted.

Devin Hester is definitely a monster on special teams.

I'm hoping Rex will not revert to form i.e. completing passes to the opposing team. ;)

As stated, the greatest attribute of the NFC this season is inconsistency. :cool:

PD

Originally posted by ProfD:

Without Tommie Harris, against better teams, that is when all hell could break loose.

Yeah there was just a hint of this last night, but as you said the better teams are gonna go right at that spot(is Tank Johnson the fill in?). Plan on seeing a very tired Urlacher during the 4th quarter in the playoffs.
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by steadyb:

the onus is on us

:)
Nice catch! :D

The Bears are clearly an elite NFC team, but not a shoo-in to the Superbowl. I think the Saints, Cowboys, Giants, and even the Seahawks are still in the mix.

As far as the Chargers go, I'm just focused on beating the Chiefs. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how our OL responds to Chiefs DE Tamba Hali's "The Chargers are a finesse team/They are not a physical team" statement after our first meeting.

Archived