Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2006-2007 Thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Magpel:

The ever-underproductive Tim Carter is going to have to step up, at last. Number 15, Jennings, too. David Tyree?? Eeek. And it is time for Shockey to earn his reputation. Boy there are some occasions when I wish we still had Ike Hilliard.

Amazing that Tim Carter is one of the healthy receivers. And lo and behold, Sinorice Moss has been practicing and might actually play this weekend.

I liked Jennings in the preseason. It's curious that they let Ponder go, but haven't let Jennings do any punt or kickoff returns. I'm thinking maybe he hasn't shown good hands in practice or something. Not that I have any complaints about Chad Morton, but Jennings has that elusiveness to break a few.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do have complaints about Chad Morton. He makes an awful lot of money just to NOT fumble. He hasn't shown anything like the explosiveness he had as a Jet. He's not as big a waste as getting Brian Mitchell at the tail end, but still. Dave Meggett!!
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by antimatter:

The injury bug is riding the Giants big time.

It will be interesting to see how the game this weekend plays out against the Bears. I think both teams could really make a statement in this game and give themselves an inside track to homefield advantage. The injury issue also gives both teams the ability to ask, what if? The Bears and/or their fans might ask; What if we had Urlacher and Berrian playing? The Giants and/or their fans might ask what if our receiving core wasn't so banged up and we had Strahan out there.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Another week of upsets as NYJ def NE, MIA def KC and Houston def Jacksonville.

Indy came real close to losing one today. They will not go undefeated. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Indy WILL go 16-0. The AFC Championship Game will be between Indy and San Diego. No pick yet as to the winner of that game.

Between friends and colleagues, I was picking Pittsburgh and NYG to win this weekend. I had a feeling that Pitt was due for a win and the Saints were due for a loss. I also thought that the Giants could knock off Chicago at home. I guess I should have just flipped a coin. Chicago is for real. They proved it today. And Eli isn't Peyton. He proved THAT, too.

The Super Bowl should be the Bears versus the winner of the aforementioned Colts/Chargers game.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

The celebration where the Giants running back put the ball under his jersey and rubbed it like a pregnant lady's stomach was the funniest sports moment I've seen in years. I must have laughed out loud for three minutes.

Just a double, triple, even quadruple ARGGHH! For the Giants. First of all, we all but gave the game away with the third and 23 draw and the missed FG return. But for those two plays, we were looking a very different game.

Then, the body pile gets higher, with Luke Pettigout going down with a broken fibula. This is the left tackle--the QB's blind side protector. After the 87 year old rap producer (really!) Bob Whitfield came in for Luke, did yo notice that Eli got hit on just about every play?

This is a bad, bad injury for the Giants. Early in his career, NO ONE I have ever seen with the possible exceptions of Elvis "Toast" Patterson and Dave "Everything-you-want-in-a-QB-except-the ability-to-make-good-throws-and-decisions" Brown took more abuse from the fans than Pettigout, but he has really turned that around, and now you almost never hear his name called, which is the highest praise of all for a left tackle.

Guys, The G-men might have been a Super Bowl contender, but it's just not going to happen without:

Strahan

Umenyora

Arrington

Brandon Short

Sam Madison

Justin Tuck

Carlos Emmons

Toomer

Pettigout...

And who next? What the HELL! Might as well make it Tiki...

I know every team has alot of injuries, but there's a point of critical mass after which you are no longer the same team capable of executing the same game plans. The Giants have jetted past that point, and in all liklihood we're going to be left wondering what might have been this year.

I remain, of course, vigilantly ready to be convinced otherwise...

Wow, 42 points in the 2nd half by the Chargers, Incredible.

The Chicago/New York game, well lets just say it will be nice to see them both play again in the playoffs with all or most of there players back on the field. Unfortunately for Giants fans, that game wil most likely be in Chicago.

One thing about last nights game.. That 108yrd runback by Hestor. One of the greatest "fakeouts" by a special teams player I've ever seen, followed by a couple of the most bone shattering downfield blocks in special teams history.

Oh yeah, Lovie Smith, being the lowest paid head coach in the league?! Fix that immediately please!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

One thing about last nights game.. That 108yrd runback by Hector. One of the greatest "fakeouts" by a special teams player I've ever seen, followed by a couple of the most bone shattering downfield blocks in special teams history.

Was it a fakeout, or did he just hesitate? If I'm him, I say fakeout regardless. How does the same team pull that off two years in a row? Incredible.

Oh yeah, Lovie Smith, being the lowest paid head coach in the league?! Fix that immediately please!

Is that true? Utterly ridiculous. He might be the best coach in the league, given what he's done with that team the past couple of seasons, without any serious collection of superstars.

- Jeff

No more ridiculous than the number of interviews Lovie had for head coaching positions that were essentially minority quota compliance initiatives. Well, the joke's on the teams that hired Butch Davis, Mariucci, Mike Tice, Dave Wannstedt, Norv Turner, and who's the careening drunk who coached Seattle for a while? etc., instead.

Lovie's doing extraordinary work with that team. Count me officially as a Grossman non-believer, though. Must be tempting having the always interesting Bryan Griese on the bench.

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Is that true? Utterly ridiculous.
Yeah, the Bears org is really cheap I hear. Lovie says nothing about it though. The Bears players however seem upset about it and have been vocal, particularly Urlacher, who makes sure Lovie is mentioned as the primary reason for there success & team focus.
TROLL . . . ish.

The Bears are a team that are built around the lines. Good lines on both sides of the ball almost always spell success for most teams. They don't have any real superstars at the markee skill positions but they are solid where they need to be and they play excepttionally well as a team.

The GMen do have some serious injury issues and if they can't get some of those key guys back they could have some real issues.

- Rush

As a fantasy owner of Jeremy Shockey, I am continually frustrated by Eli's underutilization of his all-Pro TE. Thanks to the Bears for proving me right - they are the best team, at least in the NFC.

Really thought the Saints were going to pull one out at Pitt. Then again, I'd started to feel a little sorry for the 2005 Super Bowl champions too.

I was wrong about one aspect of the Chargers-Bengals game - their offensive line, without Pro Bowler Levi Jones and without their starting center, did an outstanding job against our defense. Rudi and the other RBs saw some huge holes. Palmer's protection was very good except for one critical play (I'll get to that in a bit).

According to LT, Rivers told the team "They'll have to score more than 28 to beat us". Pretty gutsy thing to say when you're down 28-7 at the time. But Rivers proceeded to back it up with his outstanding play. WR Malcolm Floyd had a huge game in relief of injured started Eric Parker - 5 catches for 106 yds, including a 46 yd TD. He could be our poor man's Terrell Owens - the size (Floyd is 6' 5") and playmaking ability minus the drama. Gates didn't score but still had 5 catches. Our 2nd TE, "Manu", took advantage of the double- and triple-coverage of Gate in his 2 catches for 2 TDs. LT was, well, LT. ;)

Our defense of course was beat up in the first half, then "limited" the Bengals to "only" 13 points in the 2nd half. The Bengals exploited our weakness just as the Rams, Chiefs, etc. have - attacking our cough-syrup-dealing safety Terrence Kiel. One of Johnson's (260 yards!!) long TDs was on Kiel's blown zone coverage and the other was taking advantage of rookie Antonio Cromartie. Johnson's celebrating was limited to an imitation of our Merriman's "Lights Out Dance", which other opponents such as the Steelers' Porter have done. On his other TD, he simply handed the ball off to the referee, which was enough to stun the announcers ("he's not celebrating! He's not celebrating!").

The game-changing play was, despite all the offensive fireworks, on defense. It was Shaun Phillips sacking Palmer and forcing a fumble, deep in Bengals territory. It immediately put our offense in the red zone, setting up a quick LT TD.

Originally posted by GovernorSilver:

The game-changing play was, despite all the offensive fireworks, on defense. It was Shaun Phillips sacking Palmer and forcing a fumble, deep in Bengals territory. It immediately put our offense in the red zone, setting up a quick LT TD.

While that's hard to argue and that play was certainly game changing, I think the game changed when they came out of the lockeroom after half time. They were clearly a different from the kickoff to start the second half on. They looked like they expected to come back and win that game. I made a comment to my buddy I was watching the game with that the Chargers had a fire in htier eyes right after the kickoff. As I said earlier it was a great game to watch as a fan of football.

I can understand the whole frustration with Jeremy Shockey on a fantays level and especially last night when Eli could have really untilized him.

- Rush

One thing about last nights game.. That 108yrd runback by Hestor. One of the greatest "fakeouts" by a special teams player I've ever seen, followed by a couple of the most bone shattering downfield blocks in special teams history.

That's one for the all-time highlights reel!

You've got to be sh*tting me!

That's CRIMINAL!

Take some of Bill Crybaby Belichick's pay and send it over to Chitown. And Bill It's Jerry's Team Parcells. And Bill I've Really Been A Dumbshit All Along Cowher.

Stop paying the "Bills," and start paying for some Lovie!

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Hey - one of those Bills turned a franchise around - and it wasn't the Big Tuna...

Um, Griff, I know exactly where this sentiment comes from (and I know that you even entertain the fringe opinion that Parcells threw a Super Bowl in NE) but the record pretty clearly shows that Parcells turned 3 franchises around. He is admittedly struggling with the fourth

(And please, PLEASE, don't hit me with the Ray Perkins theory of the NYG turnaround. Ask Harry Carsons or George Martin who was responsible if you want a reliable opinion...)

And, BTW, I love Belichek. I'm not on this "let's dump on Bill" movement in the least. It is a shame that there is currently opinion hostility in the "school of Tuna" ranks. Bill B has in fact surpassed Bill P in many ways, but it still pays to remember who hired whom--and who gave Crennll, Weiss, Carthon and, hell, Tom Coughlin, their starts in coaching.

Parcells legacy in that regard is second only to Walsh.

Rivers is fun! Are we looking at the possibility that he turns out to be the best of the big three?

I mean, Ben has earned the distinction of the worst Super Bowl performance ever by a winning QB (unfortunately the honor for losing QBs probably belongs to Kerry Collins :cry: ).

It used to be de rigueur to sit a young QB prospect for a couple of years. Maybe Rivers is enjoying the fruits of that conservative approach, and maybe Eli and Ben are still hitting the speed bumps of the other approach. Who knows? Think about how long it took Steve Young to become a viable QB, or Testaverde, or Rich Gannon.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

While that's hard to argue and that play was certainly game changing, I think the game changed when they came out of the lockeroom after half time. They were clearly a different from the kickoff to start the second half on. They looked like they expected to come back and win that game. I made a comment to my buddy I was watching the game with that the Chargers had a fire in htier eyes right after the kickoff.
I really believe Philip Rivers had a lot to do with that, according to Gates, who said that Philip told the team "They'll have to score more than 28 points to beat us" when the Chargers were still down 28-7. This guy has been firing up the team like that all year.

Shaun Phillip's play set up our go-ahead score. I have to agree though Rivers' enthusiasm infected the defense as well. Speaking of defensive issues, I was glad to see TJ Houshmanzadeh forgive McCree for the early hit that led to his knockout. TJ not being available for the final set of downs made a difference with a minute left in the game, but extensive video reviews showed it was a clean hit, albeit mistimed, as McCree was leading with his shoulder, not his helmet as Dan Dierdorf had hysterically charged. It was also shown that Godfrey's knee was what actually knocked out TJ, which was accidental.

Carolina sure look like the team some pundits predicted would go to the Super Bowl, against the struggling Bucs. Tough season for them. At least they have the USF Bulls, a team I watched grow from Division II (their rivals used to be the likes of Northern Illinois and beating Pitt was considered a big deal) into a team that can compete in the Big East.

Does the promotion of Jason Campbell signal the Redskins are giving up on the season? Or does Gibbs really believe Jason can turn the team around?

I don't know that I have ever seen an offense so centric as the Steve Smith-centric Panthers.

Well, The Jim Brown Browns and the Sanders Lions, but RBs are a bit of a different story.

To my mind, Smith has leapfrogged the elite group of Moss, TO, Holt and Harrison (two of whom have defaulted the honor on their own) to become the most important WR in football. I don't suppose that's a very startling or original opinion...

Hines Ward, however, is my favorite WR.

Mags, I guess what is surprizing about the whole Steve Smith phenomenon is that Carolina has gone thru what about half a dozen backs in recent years to try avoid the dependance on Smith...to no avail.

Top dog recievers, yes I like Ward alot. I have since he was here at U of Georgia. Harrison is certainly underated, and may even remain that way until he plays a hero role in a game the Colts are behind by 3 TD's in the 4th quarter(I know not likely right?).

My current fav is this new kid Colston with the Saints. He's gonna be the T.O. or Moss of last years draft. I just don't know how they found him in the 7th round???

TROLL . . . ish.

I don't know that I have ever seen an offense so centric as the Steve Smith-centric Panthers.

Well, The Jim Brown Browns and the Sanders Lions, but RBs are a bit of a different story.

To my mind, Smith has leapfrogged the elite group of Moss, TO, Holt and Harrison (two of whom have defaulted the honor on their own) to become the most important WR in football. I don't suppose that's a very startling or original opinion...

At this point it's hard to argue. In fairness to Moss he has no one to throw him the ball and teams dohbel and sometimes triple team him but Smith always seems to come up big when they need it. I also agree the offense really seems to need Smith to be productive.

As for my favorite receiver, I'll have to think about that one a bit. Its hard not to appreciate what Smith is doing.

- Rush

At this point it's hard to argue. In fairness to Moss he has no one to throw him the ball and teams dohbel and sometimes triple team him but Smith always seems to come up big when they need it. I also agree the offense really seems to need Smith to be productive.

As for my favorite receiver, I'll have to think about that one a bit. Its hard not to appreciate what Smith is doing.

- Rush

Does the promotion of Jason Campbell signal the Redskins are giving up on the season? Or does Gibbs really believe Jason can turn the team around?

Gov, I believe this promotion could be one of and/or any combination of the following:

a) fan outrage

b) frustration with the lack of offensive production

c) giving up on the season/building for next year

d) Daniel Snyder pulling a Jerry Jones

Beyond that, this may be Gibbs and the coaching staff's way of showing/proving Campbell is not ready.

The onus is definitely on him to make good of the opportunity. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived