Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Don Knotts

steadyb

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bummer! :cry:

I was totally charmed by his movies and characters, even after I got to be a teenager and was supposedly too cool for that cornball stuff.

I remember taking a cassette recorder to a drive in theatre (remember those!) to record the organ for "Ghost and Mr. Chicken" so that I could notate it and learn to play it.

Moe

---

I remember taking a cassette recorder to a drive in theatre (remember those!) to record the organ for "Ghost and Mr. Chicken" so that I could notate it and learn to play it.
:D

Kindred souls, Moe. That movie was the highlight of my 9th birthday, and the first thing I did when I got home was try to figure out the organ part on my piano . . . . . .

I wish I had gotten to meet Don Knotts, he was a genuine, lovable guy, unforgettable.

I... I don't want to live in a world where Barney Fife is dead... :(

What a lot of laughter that one leaves behind. Go with God, Don Knotts.

Nip it! NIP IT! :D

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jazzman:

I remember that he used to carry a bullet in his shirt pocket, just in case he needed it.

He carried the bullet in his pocket because Andy wouldn't let him have a loaded gun after he shot himself in the foot.

True (fictional) story.

- Jeff

I really became aware of him during his brief variety show, "The Don Knotts Show" in the early seventies. (Up to that point, the only Andy Griffith shows I saw were post-Barney.) About that time, many of his 1960's movies started getting network and syndication air. They were great movies. He became my favorite actor back then. (I've never bestowed the honor of 'favorite actor' to anyone else.)

Over the last year or so, I've been buying up as many DVD's of old movies and shorts in certain genres. It now occurs to me that I haven't seen many or any of his movies on DVD...But when I do, SNAP!

RIP, Don Knotts. :(

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Wow! In the space of a single weekend we lost Don Knotts, Darren McGavin, and Dennis Weaver.

So long, Barney Fife.

So long, Carl Kolchak.

So long, Sam McCloud.

Thanks for all of the magic and smiles that you brought to us over the years! We'll miss you!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived