Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laurie Z

Dave Bryce

I've just found out that my friend Laurie Z passed away today.

I've known Laurie for a long time...she was a tremendously skilled keyboardist, an outrageously talented musician, and a physically and spiritually beautiful human being. She had a way of lighting up any room that she entered, and leaving a mark on every life that she touched.

Laurie had actually been sick for quite some time...many of you may remember that she used to be a pretty regular contributor to the forum (and to the early KC comps), but she hasn't been around for a few years....this was due to the illness to which she finally succumbed. Some of us were aware of this, but it was her wish that we not tell anyone, because she didn't want anyone worrying about her...

I consider myself lucky to have known her. For those of you who want to vist her web site, it can be found here .

Bye, Laurie - we'll miss you...

http://www.lauriez.com/images/picture.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH MY! :cry:

I knew she had been away from the forum for a few years an my inquiries had gone unanswered. Laurie is the only person that from the forum I have met in person that I did not already know. (Other than a few that I had previouslly played with.) She had a performance in Louisville and I took a vacation day to go watch. I met her and her husband. She is extremely nice and helpful, offering me lots of advice on helping to get music published.

This is a real shock. :(

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

One more thing I would like to say. In the male dominated artistry of music is it easy to foster beliefs that women are inferior or at least different musically. For me, Laurie Z put that misnomer to rest with the first song I watched her play live. She could play piano. REALLY, really play.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

She could play piano. REALLY, really play.

Absolutely.

When I was at Alesis and had to hire somebody to go around the country giving concerts on our DG8 digital grand, I chose Laurie.

There were some folks who thought I did so mainly because of her looks...until they heard her play. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

This is very sad news. I knew she was not doing well but you still I never expected to hear this. She'll be deaply missed. Thinking of you Laurie....

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm sorry.

It's obvious that she was well-loved by the people who knew her, worked with her, or heard her perform.

She will be missed.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I was one of the few who knew this was coming - I was told a few days ago that Laurie's condition had deteriorated. Shortly after I spotted this thread, a friend called to let me know she was gone.

Laurie was a kind, giving, resourceful, and talented woman. I met Laurie at the first Taxi convention. She released her own material years before it became commonplace, and she was at Taxi to show other artists how to do the same. Right away, I was struck by both her determination and kindness - a rare mixture.

Laurie had a wealth of friends, and my wife and I were proud to be included among them. We were among the lucky ones who saw her perform. She put such joy and love into her music, and her husband Michael would beam with pride as her watched her play.

There is an effort underway to archive everything that Laurie released to help ensure that her music will live on. The effort is in its early stages so I don't have any other information at this time. For now, I suggest if you have any of Laurie's music that you play it today in her honor. My wife is putting one of Laurie's CDs into our player as I type.

Thank you Laurie for your kindness and your music. You will not be forgotten.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I had the priviledge of spending a couple of hours with Laurie at her home right before the holidays. She was doing better than she had been in a couple of years and felt like she had turned the corner on the disease. She was playing publicly again, although for shorter sets than she had done before she was sick. She was even planning on teaching a class about how to release your own CD this month (some of you may remember the Keyboard article she wrote on that subject).

There were a few of us in the industry who knew, and she asked that it be kept quiet. Laurie had a very rough couple of years, but she was always positive about fighting it and returning to music, even in the darkest of times. About a year ago (when she was too weak to walk out her backyard to her studio building) a couple of forum members (Dave, Geoff, Mike, and a few others) helped get a workstation keyboard for her to use as a scratchpad. When I was with her in December she had it up and running on top of her piano.

Kelly (my wife) and I were talking about the situation last night and discussed how music can transcend our life. I think Laurie would want us to remember her for her music, and for her contributions to life. With her gone there will be a hole in many of our lives...

God bless you Laurie, and thank you for all you've done.

Holy Cow, Dave! That's a terrible shock! She was young and vibrant and sassy and, Good Lord, what a talent on the piano!

I'm so sorry that I didn't know of her condition. I would have like to have sent her some words of encouragement. It's such sad and shocking news to know that we've lost her!

I've thought about Laurie periodically in the last year or two, wondering what she'd been up to. I assumed that she had become too busy with her career to hang out on the forum. I didn't realise that she was fighting for her life.

Dave, please offer my condolences to her family. I recall that Laurie was married and had a sister, but I don't remember whether she had children. I hope that everyone will be okay.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

This is very sad. I think I came to these forums after she stopped contributing on a regular basis, but I enjoyed my exchanges with her, few as they were. She seemed like a really cool gal. My condolences to her friends and family.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Pat Azzarello:

About a year ago (when she was too weak to walk out her backyard to her studio building) a couple of forum members (Dave, Geoff, Mike, and a few others) helped get a workstation keyboard for her to use as a scratchpad. When I was with her in December she had it up and running on top of her piano.

Pat, it was kind of you to include me; but IIRC it was you who got the ball rolling, Dave who thought to ask Mike, and Mike who got the keyboard to Laurie.

I really appreciate all you did to keep the lines of communication open with us LA friends of Laurie's after she moved to your area. My wife and I might have missed out on cherished time with her if it weren't for you. Thanks, Pat.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Keyboard magazine's official response: :cry::cry::cry:

Seriously.

Laurie was such a wonderful person, and all of us who have worked at Keyboard over the past many years counted her among our friends.

We will miss her, her music, and her friendship.

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

I just heard the news from Randy Lee at Alesis.

I remember Laurie as a wonderful musician and an extremely vibrant, funny and warm person. I echo Dave's rememberance of her doing the excellent Alesis DG-8 demos back in the late 90s. She was a very "natural" player -- someone who oozed music.

While I never got to know Laurie very well, my memories of her are great. May she rock the ivories in heaven as she did on earth.

Best wishes,

Erik

This is heartbreaking news. I met Laurie when she was working on her first album, and since then she's been a friend and inspiration -- someone with great warmth, an easy smile, and good advice.

I'm out of the music business these days, but when I was part of things I knew very few people with the kind of positive-spirited drive she had. Not flashy, just quiet, persistent, and sincere. She was quite simply unafraid to try anything.

I'll miss knowing you're out there, Z.

Marv

This thread reminds me why I love this industry. Great people, big hearts and friendships that I will always cherish. Its awesome to hear that Laurie got use out of that keyboard we sent. Sure will miss you Laurie...

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I only knew Laurie through Kelly's Garden. I listen to it all of the time, I love it.

That is very sad news. Laurie is in a better place.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I wish I had known Laurie, she sounds like my kind of people. It is sad that we pass through this life and miss the opportunity to meet such a fine person.

You guy's that knew her will keep her spirit and her music alive.

My condolences to all.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived