Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Bill Evans solo

hardbop200

Just a little break from the norm...

The album that first got me into jazz was Bill Evans At Town Hall. While this may not be his most famous trio, I think the playing on this album is wonderful. The solo that pulls me out of my chair everytime I hear it is the solo to "Make Someone Happy." The liner notes say that Bill "wrought a near miracle" with this one, and I am inclined to agree. The part that really REALLY knocks me out is the blockchord portion near the end of his solo in Bb - how exciting! Everytime I get bummed about practicing, I just listen to that cut. It makes me fall in love with piano playing all over again.

Just thought I'd share :)

Josh

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're asking about favorites mine is on "All Blues" - Kind of Blue. That's my favorite piano solo of all time. Break out his show CD of Marian McPhartland's Piano Jazz and listen to him demonstrate his theory of 'time displacement.' God, what a genius.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I've always dug his solo on On Green Dolphin Street off the Miles side The '58 Sessions. Starts out on the first bar playing a nice and interesting single line run, and from there it's all chord solo. Those first few bars just kick my ass every time I hear it. The last chorus that Cannonball takes right before it is pretty sick too.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

"I Loves you Porgy", from the Montreux recording. Not bad for a guy who had little confidence in his ability to play solo piano.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Actually there's a great solo version of "Danny Boy" he did that I used to have on a jazz piano compilation CD but I don't seem to have it an longer - if anybody knows which CD it's from I'd be really grateful if you'd post.

Thanks,

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Yes, the Danny Boy version is absolutely stunning! I usually dig his live stuff more than the studio recordings, his last trio gigs were awesome. There's an album called "The Brilliant" from late august 1980 where he plays like an angel. My personal favorite album is Waltz for Debbie with Monica Zetterlund on vocals, it may actually be my all time favorite album. :love:

There is trio album called "California Here I Come" with Philly Joe Jones playing drums that is an all-time favorite of mine. Philly Joe kicked Bill into swinging harder than with some of his other trios. There is an up-tempo version of "Round Midnight" that is stellar. Nice work by a very young Eddie Gomez as well.

"Some Day My Prince Will Come", from his Montreaux album with DeJohnette and Gomez. Alternating 3/4 and 4/4 time, BE just tears it up throughout.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived