Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Doors on Leno?

What the HELL! A band calling themselves the doors (no seen indication of a tribute band) with a singer that looks somewhat like Jim (but sucks in my opinion). Is this the original group with a new singer? One orignal member (maybe the keyboard player) and a bunch of new guys? Is it a tribute band and I just missed it? It really bothered me. Even if it was all of the remaining members with a new singer, it is not The Doors without Jim. I hate when bands do things like this, it takes away from the orignal band and seems like just another oh-krap-we're-out-of-money-so-lets-have-a-reunion-tour bit. I think there is also something wrong with the original members (if they are original) if they are ok with replacing the star like that. Sorry for the rant. Please fill me in on this/offer your thoughts.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by BNC: [QB] Even if it was all of the remaining members with a new singer, it is not The Doors without Jim. QB][/quote]The only band I can think of that's successfully pulled that off is AC/DC. And that was not like 30 years after Bon Scott died. But, maybe, they wanted to just go out and have some fun playing some of their old hits. I didn't see it, so I can't judge.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

You know what is odd? Classic soul vocal groups have been doing that for years. Check out the Temptations, the Drifters, the Coasters, The Platters, and countless other groups. They do it all the time. And the original members never include the lead singer, who actually sang all of their hits.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

It's just Krieger and Manzarek, with Stuart copeland and that guy from the Cult, whatever the hell his name is.... Ian Astbury? And a bass player. The original drummer sat this one out cause it's too hokey for him.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Yikes... :eek: I saw that trainwreck, too... It [b] was [/b] Kreiger & Manzarek... Plus an in-the-shadows bass player and... None other than Stewart Copeland on the tubs...! With some sucky singer in leather and shades... :rolleyes: Apparently [i] both [/i] Manzarek & Kreiger thought he couldn't quite cut it singing 'Light My Fire'... Because they joined in singing on the choruses... Not background vox, but [b] 'co-lead' [/b] vocals...! WTF...it was bad...!

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]You know what is odd? Classic soul vocal groups have been doing that for years. Check out the Temptations, the Drifters, the Coasters, The Platters, and countless other groups. They do it all the time. [/b][/quote]True enough,in fact I just saw an unplugged version of the Wailers with what I think was Peter Tosh's son doing vocals doing old Marley songs,sounded pretty good though.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yeah, it was Stewart Copland playing drums. It really did look like a Doors tribute band, even with two of the original Doors members (keys and guitar) playing. Looks like they got the singer from a Jim Morrison look-alike contest at a karaoke bar. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Alndln Hammer: [b] [quote]Originally posted by php: [b]it was Stewart Copland playing drums. [/b][/quote]I take it John Densmore didn't go along with the Karoke idea.[/b][/quote]If i remember right, from the doors website they said Densmore had some kind of arthritis (or some such thing that prevented him from play drums too often) so could only play on afew scattered gigs across america and europe.
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

A few years ago, Brian Wilson sold the "Beach Boys" name to Mike Love. So, Love does the summer shed venue circuit as "The Beach Boys". Funny thing...Al Jardine was part of Brian Wilson's touring band that year, so Wilson had more actual Beach Boys with him than "The Beach Boys" did.

Just yesterday my son was digging into boxes in our basement. He came across a box containing all my "historic" concert ticket stubs from the day. One was of the Doors in the Felt Forum. ( a smallish venue attached to MSG in NYC- its now called someting else) Anyway, I was about 15 at the time ( think this was 1969). There were two shows. My friend & I noticed that the stage was just draped by curtains. We decided to sneak under it near the end of the first show in an attempt to get into show #2. I can recall being directly underneath Morrison as the stage floor panels bobbed up & down over my head. After the show let out and about 15 minutes passed a roadie came under with a flashlight and nailed us. Sent us through a side door. We took a detour and ended up in the huge Madispon Sq. Garden arena with noone in it. Took this in for a while then left. Ahh those were the days. I recall that they playued LOUD and Morrisons voice was as strong and deep live as on some of the best recordings.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Ian Astbury is one of my favorite lead singers, but I was kind of disappointed that he just got up there and did a Jim Morrison impression. I think it would have been a lot cooler if it had just been The Doors with Ian Astbury on vocals. He's a lot better as himself. As for Krieger and Manzarek singing along, they always did that live, and "Light My Fire" was mostly written by Kriger anyway. I suppose the approach they take as a band now depends on whether they want to record new material. I think i'd rather see the new Doors than some retread, because there are probably cover bands that are better at capturing the old days than the original guys are.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Speaking Of The Doors I heard a great parody of Riders On The Storm, it's: [b]Ryder's In The Store[/b] Ryder's in the store Ryder's in the store She's stealing like she's poor heading for the door She cutting off the tags, stuffing up her bags Ryder's in the store Maybe the [b]new[/b] Doors could do that song and make a video from the surveillance tapes of Winona.

There was a lot of chatter on the KC forum last year when they started planning this tour... I find these points most interesting: -Manzarek, after years with a crewcut, regrows his 1960s-style hair-do...is that as defining a Doors element as the music? -Why does the "original members only" concept[or, to be more accurate, "[i]some[/i] original members only"] apply so intensely to rock bands? [in jazz, for instance, the very idea of a non-evolving band is disregarded] -Why can't bands that do this (Doors, Led Zep, Whoever) actually develop new material or stylistic qualities instead of just re-doing their "better-on-available-tape-&-film" stuff? Like John Lennon said, "You want the Beatles? Play the records, there they are!"

Always loved that Lennon remark, d. And by the way, Manzarek was sporting a "longish" type crew cut on Leno. I also agree about the original members thing. At least ONE original would be nice, though. For a while, anyway. The Temptations are still around, but I don't think one original is in there now. But, there current crop came about through a slow evolution. Sort of. Didn't just jump back into the fray with all new singers with a well known name. I would have enjoyed the Doors more if the singer didn,t try to do a Morrison impression. We all know he's dead! I, for one, wouldn't begrudge a "new" Door's vocalist putting his OWN stamp on the vocal. At least it would be honest... Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]-Why can't bands that do this (Doors, Led Zep, Whoever) actually develop new material or stylistic qualities instead of just re-doing their "better-on-available-tape-&-film" stuff? [/b][/quote]Ditto Deluxe.Although there are some people from that time who still record and tour with fresh material like Jeff Beck,too few others do.Perplexing.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]You know what is odd? Classic soul vocal groups have been doing that for years. Check out the Temptations, the Drifters, the Coasters, The Platters, and countless other groups. They do it all the time. And the original members never include the lead singer, who actually sang all of their hits.[/b][/quote]I saw the rerun of the Doors on Leno tonight. And yeah, the Jim Morrison impersonator was a bit lame, but the band was alright. I included my previous post because it made me think of the guys in the band. Just because the lead singer of the group was an ass, and had a substance abuse problem, and subsequently died before his time, why should the other cats lose their career's? That kinda sounds like my former employer, David Ruffin of the Temptations, and their story. If it was a company that you started with three other guys, and one of them goes off the deep end, would you say "to hell with all that hard work we did". I probably wouldn't. In light of seeing the Stones suck pretty big time on HBO last week.(Making millions I might add) And the Donna's sucking bigtime on Leno and SNL this weekend, I feel my original judgement on the Doors was a bit too harsh. I hope they all make some dough, and get out of debt, and pretend to be rockstars again. Even if just for a minute. I guess I can find a place in my heart to not begrudge at least Krieger and Manzarek for that. :)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived