Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Rider-Friendly" Keyboard Rigs?

Unsound Practices

The pub and corporate gigs we normally play around town always provide full backline and PA. The drummer shows up with his sticks, the guitar player his guitar, the singer his "personal" mike, etc. I'm the odd man out... I show up with a van packed with my ES7, PC1x, KM200, stand, box 'o cables, etc. Primary reason for that I program most of my sounds, and an ES7 and PC1x are not available from the backline companies here.

A possible overseas weekend gig has come up, and that got me thinking about rider-friendly keyboard rigs. For you guys that tour and/or travel often, how big a deal is it for you to have rider-friendly rigs? I realize it will vary from city to city, but have any of you planned your home setup/practice rig around equipment you know you will be able to hire across the country?

How many of you regularly just show up with a Smart Media card or laptop (for sysex dumps) and let the rider be your roadie?

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always a crapshoot. You never know what you will get so the best policy is to always call ahead and speak to the actual person who is supplying the gear. You certainly can't expect anything exotic. Things I've gotten recently include a Korg Triton (88 key version), a Kurzweil 2600, Yamaha S90, etc. I know guys that travel with modules so they can always have their sounds. Laptops are always a possibility.

Always request an amp, you'll likely get something like that

Roland KC500 or that big Peavey. If they have a good monitor system then you can forego the amp but it's always best to cover yourself.

And depending on where you go, don't forget to bring 110/220 converters. You can even get them at Radio Shack.

There's nothing like having your own sounds but I tell you it's also really nice to play your last song and without so much as lifting a finger, you can walk off stage and head into the night.

Have fun, JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

My backline needs are, admittedly, simple. I need piano, organ, and strings. I can usually count on a PC88, a VK7 or XK2 with a Leslie 122 or 147, and either a Triton or XP-50/80 for the strings. It's close enough to my own rig to get through a 75 minute show, and, as jimmymio said, when the set's over, I can just get up and walk away.

I used to carry modules in a padded rack bag. I don't go to that kind of trouble any more. If there is something I really need in the future that I can't get from a backline company, I'll use my laptop for sure. Or I may use a Receptor in the rack bag...lots of options.

Good luck,

k.

:confused::confused::confused:

I haven't gigged regularly in years. What are you guys talking about?

I've managed to extrapolate from this conversation that there are businesses out there that provide and transport gear to gigs for you.

Is that the gist? I mean, they don't take your own personal gear but the same gear you use arrives at the show and is set up to play. Is that right?

If so, where do you find such a service and how likely is it that they have vintage gear at their disposal?

Actually, if they have a USS Aframe with three tiers and can provide three MIDI controllers I'd be all set.

Thanks for the education,

Carl

Not exactly Carl. Certain bands have contracts that basically entail that the "employer" (the one hiring the band) supply backline (the actual instruments and amps) for the "talent" (the band). The backline and the frontline (PA) are then rented, usually from the same vendor.

This is usually for larger, more "expensive" bands, and touring acts.

The sad thing is, I used to rent both my Hammond chops out for 3x what I earned playing them myself. So I would take my XK2 and leslie and go play for $150, rent one of my organs out for $300 for the day (both Hammonds if I was lucky).

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have to fly to some corporate gigs in the coming year and that motivated me to get a better laptop (an Acer Ferrari 4000 with maxed out RAM) and get more cozy with softsynths. Right now I use M-Audio Key Rig and Reason 3. Reason gives you some pretty deep sound programming capability, and Key Rig is surprisingly useful for basic piano/organ and some synth sounds. There's a wealth of softsynths out there that can do far more. A good laptop is handy to have on the road anyway - doubly so if it has your virtual rig on it.

Originally posted by tonysounds:

Not exactly Carl. Certain bands have contracts that basically entail that the "employer" (the one hiring the band) supply backline (the actual instruments and amps) for the "talent" (the band). The backline and the frontline (PA) are then rented, usually from the same vendor.

Yeah, this is called the "rider." It's also the part of the contract where a band can demand a football helmet filled with cottage cheese, a bowl full of green M and Ms, naked pictures of Bea Arthur, and 50 different kinds of beer.

I have a good friend that works for the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO, and it's his responsibility to fulfull the riders. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff some acts want in their dressing rooms.

My needs are simple and I have seen the good the bad and the ugly. (Korg N1 that would drop 1/2 step while playing).

I carry my Roland VK8m (module) and may start carrying a laptop to make sure I can cover all the sounds better. That way you can have your main sounds with you.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Originally posted by tonysounds:

Yeah, this is called the "rider." It's also the part of the contract where a band can demand a football helmet filled with cottage cheese, a bowl full of green M and Ms, naked pictures of Bea Arthur, and 50 different kinds of beer.

We had someone at this years Festival that needed an RD500! Not a 700 - a 500. We got him one too. Compared to that a foozball helmet full of naked pictures of 50 kinds of beer would have been easy.

Only time I've played a keyboard supplied to me was a gig at the 2002 Winter Olympics. They supplied me with a two-tier stand and a roland 88-key something-or-other. I was able to talk them into letting me bring in my EX-5 for the organs and samples, that was difficult as being so soon after 9/11, the security was tighter than when I worked in the nuclear weapon business. Had to haul the damn thing five blocks because of the parking problems, but it was worth it, used the roland for piano and strings and everything worked fine.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

"This is usually for larger, more "expensive" bands, and touring acts."

I wish! I'm a hack player in a part-time hack band!

Call me lucky but in my market (Singapore) backline is always provided by the venue, or at least paid separately from band pay. Even the small "dive" pubs will ask for a tech rider and order gear for the night from one of the local backline hires companies. The better venues accept your mixer plot and actually rig it the way you want.

So yeah, if I was happy to show up at a gig and use a RD300 and SY-77... no problem (I had to do that at a rehersal last night. Arghh!!!).

The "overseas" gig is in Shanghai, which is a six hour flight from me. Customs procedures are not pleasant in China. I do not like to show up there with lots of flight cases. As one of the posters said I'll call ahead and do my own research (or get a Chinese-speaking friend to do so).

Back to my original question with some examples for thought... would/should one consider hanging on to the old RD700 for another year until backline companies get the '700SX? Would/should one use the more popular PC2x over the more recent PC1x? Has the Motif ES series made it into general backline inventory yet?

This issue probably only applies if you do a lot a programming, which I do. I have a custom program (sounds/splits/controller assignments, etc) for each song on the set list. I sound GREAT when I use my own rig. When I use someone elses, my inadequacies as a player are exposed :):):) .

So yeah, wondering if people actually think about backline availability when they put their keyboard rigs together.

Thanks for the input so far. Interesting responses!

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

There's a backline rig that turns up at maybe 10% of the local gigs I do. For keyboard, they have a well-used but functional PC88. Depending on my mood, I will sometimes just bring my Electro and use it with the PC88 to save myself some effort.

I have rarely had the occasion to play on a backline rig that was sourced with a real B3 and Yamaha P200. That's a fun rig to have at your disposal and not have to cart it yourself.

Then there was the time I got to play Billy Payne's rig! Way cool!

Regards,

Eric

If you use lot od different sounds in your songs, oand/or your custom layers/sounds/setups, then you should work with some popular workstation series.

For an example, I use a Triton (actually Karma loaded with triton banks and Karma function disabled) , and I use many custom combis, lots of sounds.

If I need to go on the road I can go two either ways

1) carry a smart media card/floppy/laptop with may soundbaks - there is a triton classic/studio/extreme/rack/karma avaiable everywhere, it's a superpopular synth!

2)carry my Karma - it's pretty compact and only 10kg.

So you should use Motif/K2*00/triton - these are everywhere.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Quote Unsound Practices

So yeah, wondering if people actually think about backline availability when they put their keyboard rigs together.

--------------------------------------------------

I had never thought about it in the past but I never did as much travel before. I certainly will put more thought into soft synths and modules in the future. That is if the travel thing continues.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I have never seen anyone use a laptop at a festival and I think it would cause problems - we would have nothing to put it on! As long as you could get out of the laptop (ie bring a mini to 6mm cable, for example), electronically there would not be a problem, but the table would be. We would have had to wheel out an equipment case, which is about the right height if you are seated but rather large.

For those of you who travel with racks and laptops, what do you specify for putting them on?

Does anyone have a rack that will mount on a mic stand? A source for such a beast would be appreciated.

Backline rental companies seem to be very likely to have Tritons - usually the "classic" model and PC-88 or PC-2X Kurzweils. Motifs are right behind that, and yes, the Roland VK-7 and Hammond XK-2 (not the most current models) seem to be the clonewheel choices of these vendors.

Best way to be rider-friendly is to put some either-or choices in it, in order of, say, first, second, and third preference. Things that absolutely will not do are good to list as well. If you do a lot of fly-in one-off type gigs, which are the major application for backine rental, it pays to get familiar with the major workstation brands, even to the point of packing a media card for each "This is my bank of Triton Combis, here are my Roland setups, etc" Of course, this is only necessary if you're doing a lot of multi-timbral parts.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I have never seen anyone use a laptop at a festival and I think it would cause problems - we would have nothing to put it on! As long as you could get out of the laptop (ie bring a mini to 6mm cable, for example), electronically there would not be a problem, but the table would be. We would have had to wheel out an equipment case, which is about the right height if you are seated but rather large.

For those of you who travel with racks and laptops, what do you specify for putting them on?

Does anyone have a rack that will mount on a mic stand? A source for such a beast would be appreciated.

What makes a quick stand to put a module or a laptop on is a music stand. You kind of use it backward. You put it as low as it will go & then put the music holder part almost parallel to the floor, kind of flat. You use the lip to hold the module or laptop on the music holder part. It's hard to describe, but it works.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

Backline rental companies seem to be very likely to have Tritons - usually the "classic" model and PC-88 or PC-2X Kurzweils.

I've been requesting a K2000 for the longest time when I play the corporate gigs. If you think that these companies would have a PC2X, maybe I should change my rider.

It's kinda nice having the K2000 all set up and ready to play. All I bring is a floppy disk with my setups. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived