Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what are your favorite layers?

hardbop200

Hey all,

I was thinking about layers last night, and wanted to know what layers you guys find to be most effective, sound the best, etc. (For example, by "layer" I mean piano+strings.) I haven't really messed with layers that much, and was going to try to play around with some this evening.

So how about it? What layers do you like to use? It would also help me to know what keyboards you are using these layers on, as each keyboard has its own personality.

Josh

Josh

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My all time fave I haven't used in years - really just a single patch, but it was a TX-7 Rhodes/Brass patch with BC controlling the brass level. Very cool.

I also layer my basses - I'll usually route a thumping low resonance K-Station synth bass to the bass rig, and a QS-8 finger bass to the keys rig.

In addition, I'll often add a piano, rhodes, or clav layer (also routed to the keys rig) to the bass line to flesh out the sound. The QS-8 drives the K-Station, so I always have the option of dropping back to K-Station only for the bass - helps with the live textural dynamics, though I prolly don't use that as often as I should.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I use a patch on the D-50 called "Itsa My Patch" bring in Triton Strings with a volume pedal (volume control is key). I control it from a Kurzweil K2VX with either some piano,horns flute or whatever the song calls for. Everything stays on midi channel 1 just bring them in with volume pedals

Gary

I like to layer my S90 acoustic piano with Electro CP80. Makes a nice hybrid piano that cuts a bit more, particularly when played hard - the Electro really responds well to the S90's keyboard. I've also constructed some piano/CP80 sounds within the S90 that are respectable - throw in some chorus and delay and it is mesmerizing.

I also like phased clav with analog brass. Piano with strings or mellow pad is also a staple sound.

Regards,

Eric

Some of my favorites:

EP and choir

Bell and strings

AP and strings

AP and EP

EP and clav

I play a ton of organ but layering anything under organ isn't something I do much. Definitely not something like a piano. Sometimes I will blend a little strings in but I'll back off the organ sound when I do that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Layering has always been a big part of what i do. I like to work with three or four mellotron samples at the same time. Also, love layering my Super Jupiter with my Andromeda for all kinds of stuff. A get a lot of mileage with my V-synth and Andromeda also. (I guess mostly textural stuff) Sometimes I will maybe layer acoustic guitar with some ethnic string thing, etc...

Nice thread.

Layering tip from dB that I have enjoyed. A cymbal attack with a saw wave adds bite to your analog leads.

I like additive/glisteny pads with piano. vibrato on pads please.

Narrow pulse waves with acoustic guitar (like the aforementioned clav).

Bells/tuned percussion with distorted guitars, take the attack out of the guitars and put long envelopes.

Jerry

Archived