Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC comps - Volume 9 liner notes

Dave Bryce

Please use this thread to submit any liner notes you'd like to share about your tune. We need to fit this all in one page of the booklet, so please try and keep them as brief as possible.

Here's mine:

Dave Bryce - Syzygy (1:47)

I composed and performed this piece as a ROM play auto-demo for the Alesis QS series "Vintage Synths" QCard, so I used only the samples and programs from the QCard itself. This recording of the piece was individually tracked to 2" tape for the "authentic" vintage analog sound.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay Ricketts (Dafduc) - Up for the Count (1:58)

Dedicated to the memory of Ray Charles and Bill Basie, in the year of the Count's 100th birthday. This is a vision of what might have happened if Brother Ray had put together a piece based around Basie's signature line. Recorded and assembled in Acid 4.0. Piano is an mdaPiano VSTi, other instruments are edited sample loops. Copyright Jay Ricketts, 2004. All rights reserved.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Ben One - Idiots (1:44)

How would aliens view the human race if all they heard were broadcasts of political speech? Completed in time for the 2004 US Presidential Election, this song provides one alien's answer to the question. Special thanks to JimmieWannaB for providing a couple of key soundbites for the song. The movie clips come from "Plan 9 From Outer Space."

Michael Erwin - Whisper (2:00)

Composed for this compilation. Equipment list: Casio SK-5 (preset sounds and rhythms only), various hardware and software effects. Recorded and mixed in Pro Tools. ©2004 Michael Erwin

r33k

nursers - Sasha Sleeping

Dedicated to my second daughter Sasha. Nearly all of the song was created in Apple SoundTrack, with one track added from a Triton LE. Mixed on a Digi 002 / Pro Tools LE.

JimmieWannaB - Salt Peanuts (2:01)

Dizzy Gillespie composition with traditional horn parts played on Hammond B3 and piano on QS6.1 (Hard Roads). The bass and drums are Edirol Super Quartet presets under Sonar midi control. Edited midi file to meet 2 minute limit and varied tempo according to my playing ability. Additional: NI B4 Leslie effect on B3, Sonitus fx: Compressor and Reverb on drums, AmpliTube (Punk Jazz) on bass.

Gulliver - Farewell (3:33)

I composed the theme in 1990 (on the next day after my girlfriend left me).

In 1991 I recorded what became the first version of the composition (a couple of its snippets were used in a documentary about Ukrainian miners and their hard life).

In 1996 I made the second version (presented on this CD) using the only workstation I had at that time, Ensoniq TS-10. The founders of Unisong were proud to recognize me for that version of "Farewell" as an entry of merit in the 1997 Unison International Song Contest.

For this compilation it was recorded in CoolEditPro(2.0). The audio was routed from the TS-10's main outputs through a Behringer mixer with an inserted RNC (in Super Nice mode).

Please feel free to correct my English if it would be needed.

I am back.

ABECK, 58 Gone - (4:02)

This was originally written as a failry static background piece, based around a drum part processed through the Ion vocoder. For the compilation, I changed the arrangement and added the arpeggiated bass line and the lead synth to introduce a bit of structure. Recorded on a G3, running DP3.11, Yamaha FS1R, Alesis Ion, E-mu Emulator III.

Steve LeBlanc - Labor Day (3:02?)

Just a fun piece written and recorded to test my equipment, warts and all.

All instruments recorded in Steve's Garage except Drums, Drums recorded at Freedom Studio.

Steve LeBlanc - Piano (Ensoniq TS12), Synth Bass (Absynth soft synth), Synth Flutes (Steinberg's A1 soft synth), Guitar (Carvin electric through IK Multimedia's Amplitube plugin), Excel Pedal Steel.

Recorded using Cubase SX with M-Audio FW410 soundcard on a Dell Inspirion laptop

Tom LeBlanc - Drums (recorded using CubaseSX with M-Audio Delta soundcard)

Written and Composed by Frank Pido for Basement Sessions NY.

All instruments from the Yamaha Motif Classic except for the guitars and drums which I used Steinberg's Virtual Guitarist and Steinberg's Groove Agent. Recorded and Mixed in Steinberg's Nuendo 2.0

The flight announcement sample was recorded using my Philips HDD120 MP3 player onboard Korean Airline Flight 27. We were on our last leg of our trip home after an exhaustive 12 hour flight. Hence the title "Goin' Home".

Roger Hooper - Netherworld (2:02) Composed by Roger Hooper in 2000. This arrangement is performed by the duo Audience of One, from their self-titled cd recorded in 2003, featuring Roger Hooper on piano (the William Coakley Perfect Piano 3) and Tom White on guitar.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

DanS ~ Ascent To Glory (2:43)© Daniel Stecko, 2004

The initial idea for this tune came from a Collab Corner member who was interested in working on a prog-rock project.

When nothing materialized, I decided to take a few ideas that I had been working on, and use them for some sort of medieval-rock conceptual piece.

This segment came in closest to the 2 minute limit. Lots of vintage style sounds used.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Roland Genske - Go Stay (1:46)

Especially for this CD, I did this little tune during August and September 2004. Performed on Yamaha S80, Roland HPD-15 HandSonic and Fender Stratocaster. Recorded and mixed with Steinberg Cubase SX 2 through a TerraTec EWS88 MT audio interface on PC and Mac. ©2004 Roland Genske

Geoff Grace - Hopeful (2:07)

Composed, arranged, and performed by Geoff Grace as part of a collection of twenty piano and string underscore pieces, each one named after a different emotion. Parts played and tracked in February and March of 2004 using E-mu E4XT Ultra, Akai S1000, and Korg Wavestation SR presets and sample libraries. Tracked through a Speck Electronics XTRAMIXcxi and an Apogee Rosetta AD into Pro Tools. Mixed in Pro Tools. Used by permission of Whirled Music Publishing, Inc. © 2004. All rights reserved.

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived