Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You guys are gonna hate me...

Dave Bryce

I've got a MOTIF ES8.

It just showed up today, courtesy of Yamaha. I was so taken by it at the Summer NAMM show that they asked me to spend some serious time going over it, and tell them what I think.

I've been playing on it for the better part of an hour, and I'll tell you what I think - Yamaha has a major winner on it's hands. This thing sounds better than any ROMpler that Yamaha has ever released. By far. I may even go so far as to say it's one of the best sounding ROMplers that I've ever played.

I've only been playing through the presets, but I'm already sure that I'm gonna be buying this bad boy. Luckily, I know someone who'll take my S90.

I'll definitely post more as I spend more time with it. Steve LeBlanc and steadyb are due to show up here today to record piano tracks - I'm sure they'll both wanna check it out as well - perhaps they'll post a few impressions later, too.

I love cool new toys... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kcbass:

Originally posted by DJDM:

What is a MOTIF?

;)

Might Own This IF I had more money. Kcbass

I don't hate you, just wish I was your best friend with a key to your studio.

Yeah - that's the line.

Hey Dave, we all love you. How about mailing us all keys to your studio.

Can you answer one thing for me. The web site claimed the internal processing was only 16 bit. I would be very disappointed if that were true. Can you check how wide the internal paths are?

To hate you over a ROMpler, even an admittedly lovely one like the Motif ES, would be stooping too low. :D

I reserve my vitriol for those worthy of it, LOL!

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Dave, have you by chance had any quality time with an original Motif? If so, what are your impressions regarding the differences (no need to cover the basics like the ES has more polyphony, etc.)? Thanks.

Hope you enjoy the new toy, even if it's a loaner! ;)

(Yamaha may as well have "temporarily" given a bottle of booze to an alcoholic!)

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Can you answer one thing for me. The web site claimed the internal processing was only 16 bit. I would be very disappointed if that were true. Can you check how wide the internal paths are?

I've got one of those bit calipers if you need it. I'll FedEx it today and it should be there on Monday. Gotta be careful though, it's not very big. :)

Originally posted by Ski (ex5tech.com):

Dave, have you by chance had any quality time with an original Motif? If so, what are your impressions regarding the differences

I'm only on sounds so far - haven't really lifted the hood yet.

The main thing that I notice is that the filters are much smoother, IMO. I can hear it in a lot of the sounds. It's difficult to say more specifically without having the two next to each other, but the original MOTIF didn't really inspire me...this one does. I keep getting sidetracked by sounds that make me want to play, so I'm not even halfway through the presets yet. Plus, I had to record three piano tracks today, so my time has been somewhat limited.

Things I'm really digging so far:

The piano. It's excellent. Really warm and clean.

The EPs - especially the ones with the phaser effect. I love that. All bases covered - nice variety of Rhodes and Wurlis, even a decent RMI, and of course the ubiquitous FM stuff.

Chromatic Percussion - a real standout. Lots of crystal clean tones, yet not at all thin. Way interesting stuff.

Guitars. Lots of fun. The acoustics have a real nice series of velocity switches that add noise, harmonics, bends and more. The electrics run the gamut from crunchy and nasty powerchords to sweet, ballsy leads.

Basses - another highlight. Once again, a real nice variety from which to choose. There's an SVT program in here that I just couldn't stop playing.

I'm just getting to the strings now....more as it happens...

As far as the technical questions, I'd actually prefer if Mike Martin could answer them...he's much better suited to do so than I. Right now, I'm just approaching it as a player, not a programmer.

dB

Originally posted by DJDM:

What is a MOTIF?

;)

And then... what is a ROMpler?? :P

Cool, Dave

Are you writing a review for Keyboard mag?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Are you writing a review for Keyboard mag?

Nope. Just having fun...

Lots of fun.

I am SO keeping this thing. :thu:

Here's another tasty feature - between the arpeggiator and the effects processors, the thing sounds like it does wavesequencing. Way cool. :cool:

Hey, Mike - I like it MUCH better off the trade show floor...

dB

Really glad to hear that you like it so much. Yes some of those arpeggio's are amazing. I'm anxious to sit down one evening soon and do some writing on this piece.

Have you been through the Performances yet?

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

I'm anxious to sit down one evening soon and do some writing on this piece.

Me, too...I'm gonna have to figure out how to sync the arp clock to MIDI, though...after having seen the S90's manual, I'm kinda avoiding the MOTIF's book... :eek:;)

Have you been through the Performances yet?
I'm going through them right now - that's what prompted the wavesequencing post.

dB

If you want, you can turn off the drum patterns (usually the first zone of the performance) just to hear what the synth is doing. :)

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

If you want, you can turn off the drum patterns (usually the first zone of the performance) just to hear what the synth is doing. :)

Yep, I already found that...the sliders take out individual layers, too...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay...

Unsolicited, my wife just stuck her head in here to tell me that she really like the sounds coming out of the room. She said:

"Even I can hear that it sounds really good."

:D

dB

Looks like you will be the new owner of a brand new Yamaha MOTIF ES Dave! The Wife gave the Green Light! Go for it Dave! You know you Wanna!
This way, no, wait, that way!

Originally posted by mikegrijak:

Looks like you will be the new owner of a brand new Yamaha MOTIF ES Dave! The Wife gave the Green Light!

Yeah, but it'll cost me...every time I get a new piece of gear, I have to let her do something to the house...and, since I've also got my sights set on a nice new compressor as well (Tube Tech CL1B), I'm gonna have to let her do a few things to the house.

Small price to pay, I supppose... ;)

dB

The internal processing is 32 bit, the effects are actually 54bit processors taken from same chip that is used in the new SPX2000. The final output is 24bit if you have the mLAN option.

That must mean it is about ready to ship.

Robert

Yes, at the end of this month!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived