Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Vol. 6 - now accepting submissions

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

The performance is excellent - we can leave it this way (we've all heard hiss before), or you can send me a new one if you want, but I won't hear of leaving you off the compilation. :wave:

dB

Wow, thanks for kind words chief. Now if only I had learned something about recording this !@#$%!

I'm going to try another recording this week, but I don't know how successful I'll be. My amp's crapped out and if I can't get it fixed I can't monitor. So would you go ahead on the assumption that things aren't going to change?

Cheers,

Jerry

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Dave,

Good seeing you again at AES.

For my piece I used an S80 triggering an Emu e6400 with a William Coakley Volume 3 piano sample.

Thanks for your hard work!

:thu:

Roger

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

It's only 2.5 minutes long - I'm sure you'll be able to squeeze it into a corner of the CD somewhere :)

From a time standpoint, I'm sure it'll fit as well...I just need to figure out where it fits flow wise. I'm not worried. :thu:

dB

Did it arrive in time Dave? Hope so! :)

:DTR

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Did it arrive in time Dave? Hope so! :)

I didn't make it to the PO box yesterday - I'll go today.

Don't worry about the time thing - we're not in a hurry...I still haven't heard from Steve Jordan on Janet's submission; plus, I don't know if he's even started the art (or if he has time to do art for this project).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Okay - I think this'll do it:

Edelweiss - Frank Lucas

Lucy in the Sky with Bartok Carlo Mezzanotte

Promenade/Firth of Fifth - Dave Bryce

Rebecca Roger Hooper

For Mr. Grove (tribute to Dick) - Steve Leblanc

Common Ground Laurie Z.

Piano Improv #1 Michael Erwin

Thoughts About Nothing - SP Gulliver

For Mr. Grove (tribute to Dick) Part 2 Byron Gaither

Trio of Tunes - Pat Azzarello

Honky Tonk Train Blues - Dave Fifield

Wabi-Sabi Carl Kramer

Waltz in Db - George Hoar

The Sentinel - Phil Traynor

Sashi Jerry Aiyathurai

So Little Time - Dan Stecko

Rebirth Albert Ibrahim

Hatikvah - Sruly Nachfolger

Total time right now: 1:08:15

Now all we need is art work...

dB

dB - thanks, as always, for putting this together for us.

For the artwork, here's my recording info:

(simple, direct, no smoke, no mirrors :) )

Alesis DG8 direct into Alesis Masterlink. Recorded and written realtime for the Camano Commons Groundbreaking Ceremony Sept. 6, 2003.

(Would've been nice to do a Marino-type session, but no time this time. :rolleyes: )

lz

Hey Laurie, nice to see you! :wave:

Dave, my setup for Thoughts About Nothing was rather complicated... I threw all my instruments into producing the sound plus EQing and some outboard processing were used. Do you really need the details or would it be enough if I'd just list the instruments? If latter, then here is an approximate percentage of how much every instrument contributed to the overall picture:

FSR1 - 60%

TS10 - 25%

MR Rack, SD1 and Micro Q - 15%

Recorded through an analog mixer to the Tascam CDRW4U.

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Thankfully all is more or less OK. :)

I think I should ask you, "what's happening, Laurie?" because you became such a rare poster here...

Me too looks forward for the CD.

Hey Vlad - thanks for asking. Many, many things going on. We moved to a new state (Washington, from California) end of last year, and since setting up the studio and our new home, have been busy with projects. Recorded an album, did some cool shows, and have several things in the works that I'll announce soon - some real exciting stuff. :)

I've had to make myself scarce here because it's been such a busy time establishing myself up here, but after 11 months, things are starting to cook.

So....how's the MIDI version of "From the Ashes" coming? Looking forward to hearing your new song on the piano CD along with the other Forum-ites.

Sending my best from this side of the world to you...(beautiful and sunny now that the big storm's gone)

lz

Sorry kids, but I'm gonna need to have this thread return to the topic.

Steve (b_3guy) Jordan doesn't seem to be around these days - is anyone else interested in possibly doing the graphics for this project?

dB

Sorry kids, but I'm gonna need to have this thread return to the topic.

Steve (b_3guy) Jordan doesn't seem to be around these days - is anyone else interested in possibly doing the graphics for this project?

dB

I'm here, just busy so I'm not posting much. Do we have a song list & credits?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Laurie, work on "From the Ashes" is postponed (is this the word?) for awhile, I'm sorry. Just so much other things to do first! But anyway, I'm going to finish it sooner or later because: 1) I really like it, and 2) I already reserved a place for it on my future album. :) I'll let you know.
I am back.

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Song list is above in this thread, as is the blurb for the inside sleeve. People have started listing credits, but we don't have 'em all. We can start a new thread for that, if it'd make it easier...

Thanks, Steve!

dB

P.S. your contributions to all the other CDs are above and beyond the call of duty. If your schedule is too full right now to do this one, we could try and find someone else to help...I don't wanna put an unwanted burden on you if your schedule doesn't permit it.

P.S. your contributions to all the other CDs are above and beyond the call of duty. If your schedule is too full right now to do this one, we could try and find someone else to help...I don't wanna put an unwanted burden on you if your schedule doesn't permit it.
YEP! Thanks again for all the work you've put into the past comps and this one Steve...we all owe you a ton of gratitude...the art for all the KCcomps has been top notch. :thu:

Song list is above in this thread, as is the blurb for the inside sleeve. People have started listing credits, but we don't have 'em all. We can start a new thread for that, if it'd make it easier...

Thanks, Steve!

dB

I'll make time, we can't break from tradition at this point! Right now I have to prepare for a photo shoot that's going to happen tomorrow, but Sun looks good. That OK?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I'll make time, we can't break from tradition at this point! Right now I have to prepare for a photo shoot that's going to happen tomorrow, but Sun looks good. That OK?

That'd be more than okay - that'd be great!

Whenever you get to it is fine. I'm still listening to it to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the order isn't gonna change. As far as production, I'm going to try and speak with Jim Miles next week about his schedule, so any time after that should be fine.

Thanks, Steve!

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce [on another thread]:

...and my tune credit:

Promenade/Firth of Fifth (Moussorgsky/Banks)

Performed on a Yamaha MOTIF ES8, recorded straight to an Alesis Masterlink.

dB

I am curious. You chose to use the Motif ES instead of the real deal!! Pray tell, why!!! Actually, I can't wait to hear it. I am considering adding the Mo ES to my rig . . . :idea:

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

...and my tune credit:

Promenade/Firth of Fifth • (Moussorgsky/Banks)

dB

I am curious. You chose to use the Motif ES instead of the real deal!! Pray tell, why!!! Actually, I can't wait to hear it. I am considering adding the Mo ES to my rig . . . :idea:

aL

Yeah Dave, I'm very curious too. Why in the world did you choose to play a sample (even if very good) when you have a KG3 at hand...?!

Originally posted by marino:

...and my tune credit:

Promenade/Firth of Fifth • (Moussorgsky/Banks)

dB

aL

Yeah Dave, I'm very curious too. Why in the world did you choose to play a sample (even if very good) when you have a KG3 at hand...?!
hmm...curious if Dave gives the long or the short answer...hehe...I take at least a small part of the blame on this one.

Regardless...it is somewhat appropriate that the moderator for the Keyboard forum showcase his favorite new Keyboard. :)

I am curious. You chose to use the Motif ES instead of the real deal!! Pray tell, why!!!

Long story...here's the short version:

Byron, Steve and I all recorded our pieces on the same day. I set up the mics, pre-amps and compressors for Steve, and then Byron did his piece, and then I did mine. The problem was that we didn't reset the compressor for my style/song selection, which was very different than Steve and Byron's pieces. Consequently, I am not happy with the sound of my performance; and, honestly, there were aspects of the performance that I wasn't overjoyed with anyway.

Steve kindly offered to come over and help me re-record it, but was unfortunately forced to cancel at the last minute. Unfortunately, it is not really possible for me to record my piano by myself, as it is on a different floor than my studio is. However, I had cleared the family out of house and gotten mentally prepared to do the session, and yet I had no one to help me, so I decided to try it on the ES8 and see how it came out. I'm pretty happy with the results...the MOTIF actually sounds quite nice.

Honestly, I'd have preferred to use the real thing, but I didn't really have a choice...the alternative was for me to have dropped out of the compilation - I was that unhappy with my original track.

dB

Archived