Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Vol. 6 - now accepting submissions

Dave Bryce

Okay, guys - it's August.

I will officially be accepting submissions for the piano compilation all month long, or until I get enough material to fill up an 80 minute CD.

Remember, no submissin can be more than five minutes in length.

Only piano music - piano is defined as acoustic, electric, sampled, modeled and/or layered. NO OTHER INSTRUMENTS!

Originals and covers are acceptable.

Send a 16 bit/44.1kHz Red Book CD to:

Dave Bryce

PO Box 669

2060-D Avenida de Los Arboles

Thousand Oaks, CA, 91362

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is singing allowed? (Not sure if it counts as an 'instrument') - sorry, I missed the other discussions... I think this was covered before. :o

I should have some time next weekend.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Question:

I have no clue if my submission is 16-bit/44.1kHz. I would assume so as it was done in a university studio which is relatively up to date with equipment... However I don't think it's in RedBook format. I just have the final audio mix of it. Is this a problem?

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by DavidRR:

I have no clue if my submission is 16-bit/44.1kHz. I would assume so as it was done in a university studio which is relatively up to date with equipment... However I don't think it's in RedBook format. I just have the final audio mix of it.

If it'll play on any CD player, it's fine. If there's any problem, I can convert it...

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

This comp is supposed to be purely about piano performance.

Will do!

I have some ideas already...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Dave

I reread the "rules" for the Vol 6 submission, IIRC, there were to be no overdubs only selective punchins; i.e. as close to a live take as possible...

Is that still a requirement? If not, I have several takes I can tweak otherwise, I am still looking for that perfect take :cry: .... alas!!!!

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Are you still planning on having that recording session thing at your place Dave?

I'd like to...I can't really record my piano by myself, so if we don't I'll have to sit this one out as well...or use a sampled piano...

dB

Originally posted by Music*aL:

I reread the "rules" for the Vol 6 submission, IIRC, there were to be no overdubs only selective punchins; i.e. as close to a live take as possible...Is that still a requirement?

That was the idea, yes. We're going for a piano performance thing here, not a recording skills thing.

If not, I have several takes I can tweak otherwise, I am still looking for that perfect take :cry: .... alas!!!!
Aren't we all... ;)

dB

Are you still planning on having that recording session thing at your place Dave?

I'd like to...I can't really record my piano by myself, so if we don't I'll have to sit this one out as well...or use a sampled piano...

dB

ok...well my schedule should be pretty flexible this month (except this weekend)...let me know if/when you wanna try to do it. :thu:

Hi Dave, just to let you know that today I've finished writing my piano solo version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". It has been a lot of fun.

Now I'm going to take a couple of days to learn it (it's not too easy :) ), then I'll be out for concerts till Sunday, and I hope to be able to record it by next Tuesday. I'll need to go to a real studio - I'm not set to record my grand at home.

Speaking of which - next month, could I submit a piece for vol.7 as well?

Carlo

let me know if/when you wanna try to do it. :thu:

If you wanna do it after work, I suggest we shoot for next Wednesday evening (8/13)

If you wanna do it on a weekend, I suggest Saturday, 8/16. That'd probably be better, huh?

Steadyb may wanna get in on this as well...maybe we should wait until 8/16 so we have time to do all three of us. Plus, we won't be burnt after a day of work.

dB

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Here's my submission:

The Storm

It's a hyperactive classical thing...

Cool!

Please do still send me the CD...

dB

No prob.

Yeah, it's sequenced. Is that not OK?

My understanding is that it is supposed to be live performance only.

Carl

Originally posted by Krakit:

quote:

Here's my submission:

It's a hyperactive classical thing...
Cool!

Please do still send me the CD...

dB
No prob.

Yeah, it's sequenced. Is that not OK?
My understanding is that it is supposed to be live performance only.

Absolutely correct.

Once again - this is supposed to be about piano performance, not sequencing/recording skills.

We're not looking for perfection - we're looking for what it sounds like when you sit down and play the piano.

If you wanna save the sequenced track and submit it for a different comp, that'd be fine.

dB

yeah normally I think everyone would be ok with making an exception but because the criteria for this comp was discussed at length and all parties pretty much agreed on the rules for this particular CD, I think we need to stick to them.

You could re-record this piece live. :)

Breaking news.... :)

Today at 4pm I got a call from my friends at Alfa Studios:

"Look, we know you've booked two hours next Tuesday to record your solo piano piece, but see, we're going to record with a Big Name Singer, and her Really Big Label wants us to stay with her all week long... so could you postpone to after August 15th..."

me: "No way - I'll be busy then".

them: "Well, so the only way would be to do it TODAY".

me: "#*@%*#!! Look, I have had just ONE day to start learning this thing, and it's not easy, OK?"

them: "We were sure you would have understood - thank you".

To make a short story shorter... One hour later I was there, and in two more hours I had the master in my hands. It wasn't a walk, and frankly I'm tired to be involved in these "Mission: Impossible" situations - "Mission Impossible" was even my nickname at one point! Now that I'm older, I'd like to relax a bit more when I make music.

But the piece is done, and I had great fun recording it, despite the fact that I had to record segments instead of whole takes, like I would have liked.

I had the concept of this piece a long time ago, but only when the idea of the Beatles compilation came out, it started to take form. I've always been a big admirer of Bela Bartok - one of his strong points was to take simple popular melodies and arrange them with striking modern harmonies, but leaving the strenght and clarity of the melody intact.

I've alway wondered what Bartok would have done if confonted with some of today's best pop melodies, the Beatles in particular. So I took one of my favorite Beatles' songs ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds") and arranged it in Bartok's style. It's mostly in odd signatures - 5 for the verse, 7 for the chorus, with a few twists in the middle.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to prepare it for the Beatles comp, but here it is - a piano solo for vol.6. :D

I'm thinking of calling it "Lucy in the Sky with Bartok". :D:D

I'll send it to Dave tomorrow, or Monday at the latest.

Carlo

Archived